When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Without wanting to get drawn in to a North v South debate and in reality it looks unlikely to need to be a question but at what point would it get to before releasing restrictions in different areas at different times becomes something on that would need to be talked about?

I know the government have ruled this out but let’s be fair it wouldn’t be the first u-turn.

wouldn't be surpirsed if there were local restrictions imposed in the future, but during this unlocking roadmap I think they will keep it national...because of that whole north v south thing.

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Locking down over a single case is a ridiculously disproportionate response.

The New Zealand covid approach is in danger of becoming a farcical self-parody at this point. 

But if it saves one life...

(And just to be clear I'm joking)

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

Really? 

Concerns about how others view us is a huge driver of human behaviour. 

Yep, I remember reading some articles/attending some training course on shame and the role it plays in helping maintain behaviour in society - think the general idea is that people tend not to harm others either due to lack of desire to or due to empathy, and those that don't have empathy are kept in check through shame.

People who don't experience much empathy or shame may be on the psychopathic/sociopathic spectrum, or it may be due to ignorance/denial/distortion/genuinely feeling that aren't doing anything wrong (so they feel pangs of guilt or shame but keep them at bay by telling themselves "it's not hurting anyone/no one will know etc"), think the latter is what's going on with most lockdown breakers. 

So yes shame can help keep us in check (and can be toxic too), though we also have a way of negating it! (not always a bad thing as sometimes societal norms are wrong) 

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Without wanting to get drawn in to a North v South debate and in reality it looks unlikely to need to be a question but at what point would it get to before releasing restrictions in different areas at different times becomes something on that would need to be talked about?

I know the government have ruled this out but let’s be fair it wouldn’t be the first u-turn.

The road map does allow for local restrictions. So I suspect they will use it to stop slippage nationally.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

They don't really have much choice at this point.  They have no immunity to this thing at all.  They have to keep this up until they are fully vaccinated otherwise its going to be like March 2020 for them.

The point is that you can’t really claim to have an effective Test, Trace & Isolate system if you need to impose a lockdown over every single case. I’m not suggesting that they let it rip by any means, but they should be able to aggressively contact trace both forward and backward contacts of this case and put them into quarantine. You don’t really want to be imposing circuit breaker lockdowns until there is at least some evidence of a community spread, otherwise you’ll be doing these circuit breaks once every few weeks for the foreseeable. 

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be fair Ian Brown has shown himself to be a total crank who thinks covid is a hoax and that 5G has something to do with it. He shouldn't be your best bet for forwarding the anti vaccine passport argument.

Also his music is godawful. Be a bonus if this stops him playing live again.

In his defense, I've always quite liked this song for some reason:

I do wonder if further down the line, people who believe it's all a hoax will look back on their contributions to the pandemic and be ashamed of themselves, will realise they were talking complete jobbies or if they'll just double down and insist for the rest of their lives it was all a load of fuss about nothing

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

This is just a stupid take- you avoid big long lockdowns like ours by having a 3 day or 7 day lockdown, plus you avoid the 120,000 deaths. What do you honestly think is better? Just bizarre that they seem to be gloating or think they've made a brilliant point

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The New Zealand covid approach is in danger of becoming a farcical self-parody at this point. 

It's one known case- but they can't work out how the person got it so:

a) it means there are other undiagnosed cases that led to this person catching it

b) This person has been going to the shops, gyms and uni all week, so there's a high risk they've already passed it on to others

Locking down now for a week increases the chances of stopping it spreading further and getting out of control. I'd rather take a 1 week lockdown at one case than leave it to get out of control and then have to lock down for weeks/months

• Upvote 1

People may “drop their guard” and adhere to coronavirus restrictions less closely after being vaccinated, a UK Sage behavioural scientist has warned.

Prof Susan Michie told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:

“The concern is that as the vaccination programme rolls out and more people are getting vaccinated themselves and seeing other people in their community getting vaccinated, that people may drop their guard.”

She said evidence there is evidence from Lyme disease and influenza vaccine rollouts where those vaccinated were less likely to stick to preventative behaviours.

In national surveys from December, some 29% of people said that after getting vaccinated they would adhere to restrictions less strictly, while 11% said they would not follow them at all.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Besides, it's hard to argue with the results of these occasional sharp, short lockdowns they've been having. They've not moved to having community transmission. You could say that there might be a less disruptive way that would also work, but what they're doing does work.

Aye. Find it hilarious that people are starting to be critical of NZ now we’re doing well with the vaccines. We have relatives over there and hearing how their lives have been over the last 6-9 months...I’d give my left arm to be over there right now enduring a few short lockdowns every now and then.

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

In his defense, I've always quite liked this song for some reason:

I do wonder if further down the line, people who believe it's all a hoax will look back on their contributions to the pandemic and be ashamed of themselves, will realise they were talking complete jobbies or if they'll just double down and insist for the rest of their lives it was all a load of fuss about nothing

To be honest I've never been able to stand the sound of his voice so it's not great loss for me to find out he's a massive knob.

Sometimes we listen to his Little Seed song for a laugh, though. Hilariously bad.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Locking down now for a week increases the chances of stopping it spreading further and getting out of control. I'd rather take a 1 week lockdown at one case than leave it to get out of control and then have to lock down for weeks/months

This 100%. I think I'd barely notice a one week lockdown in the future having lived through best part of a year of one. Not that I think we will ever have this strategy here, just saying I would absolutely take stuff being closed for one week now and again over what we've had.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

New Zealand's current death toll stands at 26. They must be so embarrassed!

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

People may “drop their guard” and adhere to coronavirus restrictions less closely after being vaccinated, a UK Sage behavioural scientist has warned.

Prof Susan Michie told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:

“The concern is that as the vaccination programme rolls out and more people are getting vaccinated themselves and seeing other people in their community getting vaccinated, that people may drop their guard.”

She said evidence there is evidence from Lyme disease and influenza vaccine rollouts where those vaccinated were less likely to stick to preventative behaviours.

In national surveys from December, some 29% of people said that after getting vaccinated they would adhere to restrictions less strictly, while 11% said they would not follow them at all.

Water is wet