When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

? That thread is a series of links to the organisations promoting the ID passports, it's entirely factual. If people are turned off by the truth it says more about their mindset than mine.

I'm with you but accounts saying stuff like "in truth we trust" and the smiley face crowd are putting off "normal" people from what they're saying. People think they're mad conspiracy theorists whatever they link to

5 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Why is it a load of old guff that young people have sacrificed a lot? They are the generation least at risk with most to lose (social restrictions, more likely to be on furlough, less likely to have outdoor space etc.) and we were all lectured beforehand about ‘Blitz spirit’ and all in it together. The vaccine passport would be another example of the older generation pulling the ladder up behind them, like affordable housing perhaps 

I didn't say young people haven't made sacrifices.

I question the notion that young people have nobly made these sacrifices to protect the older generation. In a few cases of course but mostly this is overblown.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I question the notion that young people have nobly made these sacrifices to protect the older generation. In a few cases of course but mostly this is overblown.

That kind of goes into the media side though- I think at first it was for that reason but people have been so terrified that it became about protecting themselves 

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Overall id say they have gone along with staying locked down to protect older people when the younger people are a lot less likely to suffer adverse reactions from Covid. 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

That kind of goes into the media side though- I think at first it was for that reason but people have been so terrified that it became about protecting themselves 

I think many young people have mostly 'made these sacrifices' as it's the law and they have no choice or there are societal consequences.

Certainly the vast majority haven't done it because they are noble crusaders who want to protect the nation's elderly. 

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think many young people have mostly 'made these sacrifices' as it's the law and they have no choice or there are societal consequences.

Certainly the vast majority haven't done it because they are noble crusaders who want to protect the nation's elderly. 

Thats rather dismissive and uncharitable of you. The rules ARE unenforceable to a very large extent, and if younger people who are less at risk are following them to the large extent to which they are doing so, it is to protect older and more vulnerable people.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Barely enforced laws

16 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Barely enforced laws

Not true.

Laws are enforced such that young people can't travel, can't go to the gym, can't go to school, can't go shopping, can't go to bars and clubs, can't to to restaurants etc etc.

These are major freedoms denied to young people by law and in practice.

And societal pressures are responsible for much of the rest of the adherence. 

Edited by xxialac

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not true.

Laws are enforced such that young people can't travel, can't go to the gym, can't go to school, can't go shopping, can't go to bars and clubs, can't to to restaurants etc etc.

Have you not contradicted your argument with the last point? Who is imposing these ‘societal pressures’ on young people? And if it is just ‘societal pressure’ rather than enforceable law then why are the majority still complying for the third time? 

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Damnit Stockport, what are you doing?

0_HJR-MENN-260221INFECTIONRATES.jpg

Amazes me cases are still this high, but then whenever you post this table I always remember my girlfriend’s friends in Bolton my age that have continued to do whatever they want and can throughout and it all makes sense again. 

9 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Have you not contradicted your argument with the last point? Who is imposing these ‘societal pressures’ on young people? And if it is just ‘societal pressure’ rather than enforceable law then why are the majority still complying for the third time? 

For example, not seeing someone outside your bubble in case a person connected to that person finds out and judges you or your family hear about it and judge you.

These kinds of societal pressures.

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not true.

But the societal pressure is too protect older people.  So if their peers are pressurising them to follow the unenforceable rules, that's young people are doing it... to protect older people.

It's a weird argument you seem to be making here.

Edited by zahidf
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Just because young people can't enjoy freedoms because it's not safe, it would be churlish to then in turn stop older people from enjoying theirs. Let them enjoy their lives.

For a year now, young people have put their lives on hold for the older generations and those who are 'vulnerable'. Let's now let THEM enjoy their lives.

Ian Brown unanimously getting taken apart on Twitter. The vaccine passport has such huge public opinion behind it that those of us who don't agree just have to accept and get on with it. There is nothing we can do against this tide - let's just enjoy the freedom we get when we have it  @gizmoman

Edited by efcfanwirral

39 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ian Brown unanimously getting taken apart on Twitter. The vaccine passport has such huge public opinion behind it that those of us who don't agree just have to accept and get on with it. There is nothing we can do against this tide - let's just enjoy the freedom we get when we have it  @gizmoman

To be fair Ian Brown has shown himself to be a total crank who thinks covid is a hoax and that 5G has something to do with it. He shouldn't be your best bet for forwarding the anti vaccine passport argument.

Also his music is godawful. Be a bonus if this stops him playing live again.

9 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Amazes me cases are still this high, but then whenever you post this table I always remember my girlfriend’s friends in Bolton my age that have continued to do whatever they want and can throughout and it all makes sense again. 

Population of Bolton is 195k, so there are less than cases in Bury, so there are about 400 cases in Bolton. It's about 54 square miles, 7.5 people per square mile have it. It's not so bad when you think of that way. 

I wish they showed it as 1 in X number of people have Covid, as I think that is far more relatable you your average person. 

Without wanting to get drawn in to a North v South debate and in reality it looks unlikely to need to be a question but at what point would it get to before releasing restrictions in different areas at different times becomes something on that would need to be talked about?

I know the government have ruled this out but let’s be fair it wouldn’t be the first u-turn.

Edited by JoeyT