When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's a huge problem- if we go at the rates of the sorts of places that managed to be way higher than the rest of the country even last summer, we won't hit any of the targets. But equally by keeping them locked down while opening things elsewhere they'll just be encouraged to travel and spread

Wonder of the correlation will show these areas were part of the former "Red wall"?

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's a huge problem- if we go at the rates of the sorts of places that managed to be way higher than the rest of the country even last summer, we won't hit any of the targets. But equally by keeping them locked down while opening things elsewhere they'll just be encouraged to travel and spread

Wonder of the correlation will show these areas were part of the former "Red wall"?

We know that case rises in these areas are probably linked to the fact more people in this area are unlikely to be able to work from home so the clear answer is more financial incentive to self-isolate, but it doesn't appear likely that that will happen. I think I saw a link on here a few days ago after the roadmap was announced indicating there would be more support for local authorities but I can't remember, but that is the only answer and is something the government will be resisting the whole way, especially as we get more and more vaccinated and closer to the various steps for relaxation. 

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

We know that case rises in these areas are probably linked to the fact more people in this area are unlikely to be able to work from home so the clear answer is more financial incentive to self-isolate, but it doesn't appear likely that that will happen. I think I saw a link on here a few days ago after the roadmap was announced indicating there would be more support for local authorities but I can't remember, but that is the only answer and is something the government will be resisting the whole way, especially as we get more and more vaccinated and closer to the various steps for relaxation. 

Considering it's the Tories I doubt that will happen, but maybe they can re route some vaccines there when they get more supplies and just go at it? 

24 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think correlation probably more likely a link to low income, povery, deprivation etc...and these are same people less likely to get a vaccine too.

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think the reason why they are doing this is because they can probably achieve a similar result by going down the age bands. 

I must say our vaccination rollout is insane and we are soon going to see the real results come through.

My concerns have now shifted pretty substantially - I’m now wondering what the implications of being a NZ / Aus style country is going to be. Everything okay nationally but complications added when travel is involved.

Are we going to become a sort of vaccination island?

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the reason why they are doing this is because they can probably achieve a similar result by going down the age bands. 

I must say our vaccination rollout is insane and we are soon going to see the real results come through.

My concerns have now shifted pretty substantially - I’m now wondering what the implications of being a NZ / Aus style country is going to be. Everything okay nationally but complications added when travel is involved.

Are we going to become a sort of vaccination island?

zombie island.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My wife works at a primary school and is under 40, im in my early forties. I would much prefer my better half to have the vaccine before me, is there a way I can let her have vaccine? I'm currently furloughed and she's been working through and has 30 plus kids back in her class from 8th march. Her need is far greater as far as I'm concerned..

Just now, Euphoricape said:

My wife works at a primary school and is under 40, im in my early forties. I would much prefer my better half to have the vaccine before me, is there a way I can let her have vaccine? I'm currently furloughed and she's been working through and has 30 plus kids back in her class from 8th march. Her need is far greater as far as I'm concerned..

Find out where your local pharmacy or mass vaccination centre is and ask if they can put her on a waiting list for spare doses at the end of the day. Loads of places are doing that (was how I got my jab)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Find out where your local pharmacy or mass vaccination centre is and ask if they can put her on a waiting list for spare doses at the end of the day. Loads of places are doing that (was how I got my jab)

Thanks i will give it a go. This seems like a big mistake from the government, I strongly believe key workers should be next in line after over 50s.

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Thanks i will give it a go. This seems like a big mistake from the government, I strongly believe key workers should be next in line after over 50s.

''Professor Wei Shen Lim of JCVI says structuring the programme around occupation would be very difficult, could slow down the roll out and would probably only give anyone a jab about a week earlier.''

Seems to not really make much difference. I trust the JCVI a lot and think they will have got it spot on.

Just now, Euphoricape said:

I agree that they should be next in theory, but logistically it would be a nightmare. They don’t want the vaccine rates slowing down at the exact time it needs ramping up in order to meet the roadmap. 
However I do think teachers should be next in line - maybe they could have looked at the possibility of vaccinators going round to each school in local areas with enough doses for each teacher to be vaccinated on the same day. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think correlation probably more likely a link to low income, povery, deprivation etc...and these are same people less likely to get a vaccine too.

True but if we vaccinated everyone eligible in that area surely the rates then go down by breaking the chains? Mad thing is many people outside those areas would see it as a "reward for bad behaviour" and many in there would see it as a punishment 😂

Problem with the vaccine priority by occupation is who to include. I know there is a clamour to get teachers prioritised, but what about shop workers, bus drivers? These people come into contact with more people on a day to day basis than teachers will, someone doing an 8 hour shift in a supermarket will come into contact with 100s of different people every day. At least as a teacher, the teacher has their class(es) that they teach with the same kids in each class, plus they have been going to work every day throughout the pandemic, lockdown or not.

It's very tricky for the JCVI to work through this, so I believe that they have come to the right decision on this, especially as by the time we start vaccinating the under 50s, then the vaccine rollout will have been ramped up even further, so there shouldn't be much delay in each person getting a jab by age, rather than by profession

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't like the picking and choosing of science and statistics....

Police Unions and Teaching Unions will kick off about this.  They constantly pick and choose which science and experts they want to use and at times totally disregard the science and maths all together.  They aren't really any better than the government for this.  

I don't think it's that. It's what can be done easily without slowing things down. The vaccination is an NHS operation. So therefore they have all your NHS data, so it's really easy to just look up anything related to your health and prioritise based on that.

The NHS doesn't know your occupation. Or they might have that data, but it might be out of date. Is there an easily accessible database of every teacher that we can easily match into the NHS data, even if we wanted to?

It's not going to work if we do it on the honour system - you can get the jab if you say that you're a teacher or supermarket worker? It'd be massively abused. But the time it would take to actually have a system that can verify a teacher is really a teacher just wouldn't be done in time for when they'd get to these people naturally anyway.

The teaching unions were far, far too slow on this, to be frank. What they should have done is said six months ago, we're going to assemble this verified data of all teachers in the UK, took on the work themselves, done the verification work themselves and also collected NHS numbers for all those people. Then now they could be saying "here's the data, you can add it in and now prioritise teachers".

(And when they were doing that, loads of people would have complained about the privacy implications)

There's no question that vaccinating certain groups ahead of others would be beneficial. It's just wasn't beneficial enough to be worth doing all the work months ago, and it's too late now.

(As a side point, if we did have some sort of national ID card that recorded people's occupation then we could do it - but I don't think that really justifies it).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2