When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Aren’t attempting to go ahead with Reading, Latitude etc and going ahead even against advice two different things? Of course R&L attempting to go ahead is the right thing to do based on the government guidelines now, but they may not be able to. Selling tickets on the idea of going ahead is the right thing to do for their business, as long as they don’t get funny if refunds are needing to be given if its cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

They’ve got a tour lined up for the end of September. I guess these indoor venues a month after Reading will be a lot safer than an outdoor arena with Melvin’s mates providing testing etc?

The plot thickens. 

5 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I would happily pay money to watch the Subways play live at the moment. Or Reverand and the Makers

Any live music with a beer seems like utopia just now

I think I’d pay money to see Elvis Presley play live right now, and his gig would be pretty boring because he’s been dead for half a century. 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Interestingly the (to put it mildly) "left leaning" bands think it's mental:

Anti-Tory to their own detriment, or just incredibly realistic? 

I think R&L did a good business move and got the hopes up of thousands of people who will be crushingly disappointed. I don't think that many their target demographic are actually going to even consider it won't happen until it's cancelled again, then cry into their TikTok feeds. Will probably help the festival survive but I doubt many others will be brave enough to try it

Kinda agree with you, I’ve got a Leeds ticket, carried over from last year and yeah their announcement was uplifting and will get me through the next few months, it will probably get me through to the 21st June and after which point if life is largely back to normal and they cancel I will be like meh, in contrast with when Glasto cancelled, and we didn’t have a way out or anything to look forward to, was a blow. I know that’s my own personal point of view and not everyone will share that relaxed view but IMO it’s not going to be as soul crushing as festivals cancelling last year (no matter how inevitable) it will be more a question of well what’s got to happen to make these things go ahead

edit: I am slightly older than the average Leeds go’er though

Edited by rascalpete

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think I’d pay money to see Elvis Presley play live right now, and his gig would be pretty boring because he’s been dead for half a century. 

A while ago I saw adverts for a gig at London O2 featuring an Elvis Presley hologram as the front-and-centre headliner. That a sufficient compromise?

15 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Kinda agree with you, I’ve got a Leeds ticket, carried over from last year and yeah their announcement was uplifting and will get me through the next few months, it will probably get me through to the 21st June and after which point if life is largely back to normal and they cancel I will be like meh, in contrast with when Glasto cancelled, and we didn’t have a way out or anything to look forward to, was a blow. I know that’s my own personal point of view and not everyone will share that relaxed view but IMO it’s not going to be as soul crushing as festivals cancelling last year (no matter how inevitable) it will be more a question of well what’s got to happen to make these things go ahead

edit: I am slightly older than the average Leeds go’er though

I went to the most recent Reading and loved it. I live up north so only done Leeds in the past. Got to say I didn't feel as old there as I did at Leeds, and it wasn't as crazy either. If it does get to the point it's happening I'll be checking the lineup additions and would consider it again depending on additions - especially interested by Liam and QotSA but would need a bit more on other days for a full weekend. Liam at Leeds would be amazing though to be fair 

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Am I right in thinking they did Joshua Tree in full in Singapore?

They did indeed and it was incredible. I know they're not everybody's cup of tea but as a U2 greatest hits it was perfect - 5 songs pre Joshua Tree, the full album then a run through the better songs from the albums since then. All with an incredible production, and as it was the first time they'd played there ever the atmosphere was top notch, better than you'd get here nowadays surrounded by people who've seen them dozens of times. 

My friend who lives over there went with me because I was there mainly, and gigs are pretty rare, and I think he had a bit of the usual "bono's a dick, like a few songs but they're a bit of a joke" and he was absolutely blown away by it all.

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Regional tiers please

I was thinking about this the other night. What happens if say cases (and other metrics)  in the SE start to rise but everywhere else stays static, do they press ahead with their roadmap but risk issues in the SE or do they push back the roadmap for everyone because of one region? The tiered approach barely worked but in theory as it is at the moment they have to delay if one region is showing increases in the data.

59 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To ensure lasting immunity doctors recommend destroying a second Death Star some time after the first.

The trouble then is that they end up building a third death star because they can’t think of something original to wipe out humanity. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I was thinking about this the other night. What happens if say cases (and other metrics)  in the SE start to rise but everywhere else stays static, do they press ahead with their roadmap but risk issues in the SE or do they push back the roadmap for everyone because of one region? The tiered approach barely worked but in theory as it is at the moment they have to delay if one region is showing increases in the data.

I think they won't be using cases as a metric going forward. So a small increase in the SE they'll just ignore as even if deaths go up in that one region, won't be enough to effect the countries hospitalisation rate

Roadmap also allows for local restrictions if necessary. Theyll do that instead.

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They did indeed and it was incredible. I know they're not everybody's cup of tea but as a U2 greatest hits it was perfect - 5 songs pre Joshua Tree, the full album then a run through the better songs from the albums since then. All with an incredible production, and as it was the first time they'd played there ever the atmosphere was top notch, better than you'd get here nowadays surrounded by people who've seen them dozens of times. 

My friend who lives over there went with me because I was there mainly, and gigs are pretty rare, and I think he had a bit of the usual "bono's a dick, like a few songs but they're a bit of a joke" and he was absolutely blown away by it all.

I thought that was the case. I wanted to see it when they did Joshua Tree in full but was seeing The Killers on the only day they were in London, so missed out. The videos do look rather impressive and I can indeed imagine its pretty cool in a first time crowd rather than one that's probably seen them many times over through the decades.

I did enjoy them on the one time I've seen them tbf - I saw them in 2015 plugging the iTunes album, and even songs from that sounded good live, if naturally not going down as well as the big hits.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think they won't be using cases as a metric going forward. So a small increase in the SE they'll just ignore as even if deaths go up in that one region, won't be enough to effect the countries hospitalisation rate

Roadmap also allows for local restrictions if necessary. Theyll do that instead.

To be fair I was using cases as an example. But I guess that scenario would test their resolve for 'moving together'. I guess we saw the impacts of not acting quickly enough back in early December.

18 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Just reminded myself of the subways via YouTube.

Man they were a right place, right time band, weren’t they? No disrespect if you like em, of course. 

I first saw them when they won the first Glastonbury emerging bands competition (along with Blackbud).

They nailed it good and proper. No surprise they had decent success.

Well have to say this week has really been a strange turn of events!!

I have some underlying health issues but didn't think they would count when checked the covid list, seems my GP thinks differently and has put me in cat 6 - so received invite to get a jab today, went on straight away and booked in for tomorrow afternoon - I simply can't believe it!! (but am feeling a bit guilty as I know older folks have not all had theirs) but bloody hell what a relief!! 

Plus fella after being out of work for 8 1/2 years finally secured a rather well paid job this week and starts on the 8th March which is f**king awesome tbh.. and it's about time we had some luck as the last few years have been horrendous 😞 

Oh my word... 😁

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I have some underlying health issues but didn't think they would count when checked the covid list, seems my GP thinks differently and has put me in cat 6 - so received invite to get a jab today, went on straight away and booked in for tomorrow afternoon - I simply can't believe it!! (but am feeling a bit guilty as I know older folks have not all had theirs) but bloody hell what a relief!! 

Plus fella after being out of work for 8 1/2 years finally secured a rather well paid job this week and starts on the 8th March which is f**king awesome tbh.. and it's about time we had some luck as the last few years have been horrendous 😞 

Oh my word... 😁

That's amazing, I'm really pleased for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Oh my word... 😁

Congrats!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To be fair I was using cases as an example. But I guess that scenario would test their resolve for 'moving together'. I guess we saw the impacts of not acting quickly enough back in early December.

True. But at the same time, it's a different scenario to last Dec cos of the vaccine. One bad area shouldn't impact the whole country in the same way