When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think I would.

Me too! (I’ve always been on the Pfizer bus though!)...two dose regimen of J&J with a 9-12 week gap will most likely be a match for AZ though and in younger individuals, as a 1 dose will work just fine. The hype is that it’s an American version of the Oxford vaccine...

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Doesn't look quite as good as that similar graph from Pfizer. I'm not sure quite why everyone is losing their shit over J&J, I suspect I'm missing something.

Having said that, I'd gladly have it, I just want a booster!

Cause J&J is actually getting approved over here while AZ is still under a trial phase in the u.s? AZ hasnt even gotten to the point of submitting for emergency use. So while that keeps slogging along, J&J can add itself to the playing field and make a difference. As said plenty of times before a lot of places can ramp up with a single dose vaccine available and makes things more efficient. Everyone is obsessed with numbers but it has been tested against variants unlike Pfizer and Moderna had been since they didnt emerge yet when submitted for approvals. And the other thing you are missing is that IT IS ANOTHER VACCINE OUT IN THE WORLD FOR PEOPLE TO RECEIVE SO THEY WONT DIE. I guess that’s not a good  enough reason for you?

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Imagine this being on your conscience...

The above two posts tell the story of why the UK will be the first major western economy to vaccinate their way out of the pandemic. That’s a careful choice of words as I was going to say the first western economy to end the pandemic altogether, but the antipodean countries to their credit eliminated their way out of it months ago. 

I think what’s key here is that we don’t have any credible anti vaxxers. Other than a loony bin nut jobs like David Icke and Piers Corbyn, out anti lockdown movement largely is centred around libertarians like Steve Baker and Mark Harper who simply think the cure is worse than the disease and that lockdown is a disproportionate response to covid rather than full on anti-vaxx nut jobs. This leads to a high level of confidence in vaccines from the public when nearly every corner of the political spectrum is pointing that way. 

19 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

You don't need to tell me twice. Stuck on a landmass where I'm at the border 20 minutes any direction, haven't been home in a year and unlikely to be able to get home see my step-dad again before the big C does him in. I also work in Immigration and Visa processing and somehow continue to have a job. Its an activity though that is super high risk in creating new chains of transmission. If it needs to be held off to keep other areas of the economy able to open up and function, then whilst its a hard and crap choice, it would seem the right one.

I don't disagree with any of this, we both just have different risk appetites in the speed getting there. Travel should come back, but slowly and safely. Green/reciprocal travel lanes between countries with low cases/high vaccination or both, testing etc Start slow, make sure nothing is going wrong then continue to expand. In terms of the cost going forward, we already know the cost of what happens when you get it wrong so I'd be more worried about not repeating that again.

Yeah I agree on pacing ourselves with travel. It’s the ruling it out indefinitely that we’ve seen from the likes of Sridhar/Sturgeon that makes me very uncomfortable. 

Plus, I’m really using travel as a proxy for the other things we’d have to do. A case in one town where the vast majority have been vaccinated could lead to the Government closing everything down-businesses, schools etc. Aside from the practicalities of a Zero Covid approach in terms of taking the public with you (and I personally don’t see any chance of that at all where we are now) (whether we should have tried it 13 months ago is another debate altogether) that is a fundamental long term change in the level of Government control and oversight without a defined criteria or date for if/when it changes back. I can certainly see why many have a problem with it on both a practical and ideological level.

Edited by MEGABOWL
Typo

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah I agree on pacing ourselves with travel. It’s the ruling it out indefinitely that we’ve seen from the likes of Sridhar/Sturgeon that makes me very uncomfortable. 

Plus, I’m really using travel as a proxy for the other things we’d have to do. A case in one town where the vast majority have been vaccinated could lead to the Government closing everything down-businesses, schools etc. Aside from the practicalities of a Zero Covid approach in terms of taking the public with you (and I personally don’t see any chance of that at all where we are now) (whether we should have tried it 13 months ago is another debate altogether) that is a fundamental long term change in the level of Government control and oversight without a defined criteria or date for if/when it changes back. I can certainly see why many have a problem with it on both a practical and ideological level.

On the Zero-Covid thing, I should point out that, suppose a completely new virus emerged tomorrow in China, let’s call it Wovid-21. We should absolutely take a Zero-Wovid strategy, implement mandatory hotel quarantine, lockdown as soon as we have any evidence of community transmission etc, go hard, early and short and then get back to domestic normal ASAP but without international travel until a Wovid vaccine had been manufactured and our population was sufficiently protected.  New Zealand and some East Asian countries have proved beyond reasonable doubt that this would be the correct strategy. 

However that is different from saying we should be aiming for Zero-Covid now when the virus is so well seeded in our population. Not only would doing so need a draconian Wuhan style lockdown, but we’d probably be looking at maintaining that lockdown for 6 months or more in order to get community transmission down to Zero. The lives that would be saved by this approach are simply not worth that level of damage to civil liberties and mental health. It’s a lesson to learn for next time rather than something to try and do this late in the game. 

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The above two posts tell the story of why the UK will be the first major western economy to vaccinate their way out of the pandemic. That’s a careful choice of words as I was going to say the first western economy to end the pandemic altogether, but the antipodean countries to their credit eliminated their way out of it months ago. 

I think what’s key here is that we don’t have any credible anti vaxxers. Other than a loony bin nut jobs like David Icke and Piers Corbyn, out anti lockdown movement largely is centred around libertarians like Steve Baker and Mark Harper who simply think the cure is worse than the disease and that lockdown is a disproportionate response to covid rather than full on anti-vaxx nut jobs. This leads to a high level of confidence in vaccines from the public when nearly every corner of the political spectrum is pointing that way. 

Ian Brown Stone Roses.jpg

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

On the Zero-Covid thing, I should point out that, suppose a completely new virus emerged tomorrow in China, let’s call it Wovid-21. We should absolutely take a Zero-Wovid strategy, implement mandatory hotel quarantine, lockdown as soon as we have any evidence of community transmission etc, go hard, early and short and then get back to domestic normal ASAP but without international travel until a Wovid vaccine had been manufactured and our population was sufficiently protected.  New Zealand and some East Asian countries have proved beyond reasonable doubt that this would be the correct strategy. 

However that is different from saying we should be aiming for Zero-Covid now when the virus is so well seeded in our population. Not only would doing so need a draconian Wuhan style lockdown, but we’d probably be looking at maintaining that lockdown for 6 months or more in order to get community transmission down to Zero. The lives that would be saved by this approach are simply not worth that level of damage to civil liberties and mental health. It’s a lesson to learn for next time rather than something to try and do this late in the game. 

Agreed. There's a difference between what would've been ideal from day one, and what's ideal now.

Zero Covid in the UK just is not feasible at this point, for many, many reasons.

the way the cases are falling in Somerset west and Taunton I’ll be expecting some zero covid days fairly soon ... we have dropped from 360 cases per 100,000 at the peak to now only 58 ... and today I reckon another 20 will come off that ... we have done well because we have a massive super fence surrounding the county that’s not in use elsewhere ... I wonder when the covid test centres start disappearing ... ? 

4C168288-2A4F-4ADA-B4A2-E3041FBA97CE.png

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

the way the cases are falling in Somerset west and Taunton I’ll be expecting some zero covid days fairly soon ... we have dropped from 360 cases per 100,000 at the peak to now only 58 ... and today I reckon another 20 will come off that ... we have done well because we have a massive super fence surrounding the county that’s not in use elsewhere ... I wonder when the covid test centres start disappearing ... ? 

I think you'd be surprised at how steady the drops become once you're around the 50 mark.

It would be remarkable if you dropped down to 30 in a day.

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Show off.  Greater Manchester is rising again and the schools haven't even opened yet. 

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think you'd be surprised at how steady the drops become once you're around the 50 mark.

It would be remarkable if you dropped down to 30 in a day.

We will see but yesterday’s cases were 5 .... and the one to knock off from rolling week is 25 ... 

39 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Agree with all of this

45 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

A case in one town where the vast majority have been vaccinated could lead to the Government closing everything down-businesses, schools etc. Aside from the practicalities of a Zero Covid approach in terms of taking the public with you (and I personally don’t see any chance of that at all where we are now) (whether we should have tried it 13 months ago is another debate altogether) that is a fundamental long term change in the level of Government control and oversight without a defined criteria or date for if/when it changes back. I can certainly see why many have a problem with it on both a practical and ideological level

Fair concerns. I will say that there is still some wiggle room in how places actually implement it. We’ve had 2 community cases here in Singapore today, but we won’t go into lockdown tonight the way Perth and Melbourne would, although that is more political than practical. They’ll trace them, test all their contacts, work colleagues, family  and see what the results are. Sydney also has a lot more faith in their tracing and letting the process play out. Cases aren't necessarily the problem in themselves, but unlinked ones are. The vaccine will change the way it needs to be approached, as there would be no point locking down a vaccinated town unless their was clear evidence it was a variant dodging the vaccine. As you’ve said, governments will need to get that balance right and bring people along with them. In Australia at least, it shouldn’t be a problem. Everyone inside is good, everyone outside including citizens (like me) are bad, and anger can be harnessed against those putting the community safety at risk by daring to want to come home.