When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

"normal" for the NHS is working at close to capacity for much of the year and at capacity over the winter, this year has seen many op's and treatments delayed so as you say it wlll take a while to get back to anything like a normal situation, there will be a surge in respiratory infections coming into winter, there always are, so we could well need " measures" to prevent overwhelming again, as long as people are prepared to accept the justifications for lockdowns etc. they can impose them. This could go on for years,. BTW I asked the question not to put shoptildrop on the spot, but because I'm in the same position with my daughters (i'm the mad dad of course!).

There's truth to that - but that's partly why I think we should be really cautious with how fast we re-open. I want to see hospital numbers driven right down, getting the number of COVID patients to near zero, then we re-open. Then there is no justification - yes there will be a respiratory infection surge in winter but we will have the emergency capacity to deal with it.

I disagree with you on this being part of the government agenda to keep us permanently in lockdown, but I do agree we run the risk of going in and out of lockdown for years. I think the answer to that is a very slow, cautious re-opening that drives down hospital numbers.

Whereas I think calls for lockdown to be lifted early, for the measures to be dropped sooner, for things to get opened as soon as possible as long as the NHS never gets above 99% full... that actually increases our chances of further lockdown. If I *did* believe this was being done by governments on purpose to allow regular lockdowns to curtail our freedoms and control us, I would also think the people saying "open up now" and all that were part of that plot.

29 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

CONFIRMED - Reading and Leeds festivals going ahead in August. 

Only been the reading once and while I enjoyed it, don't think I would every go again. Doesn't have any magic for me

Not surprised its going ahead. If we're going to have no restrictions by 21st June then its only logical that anything after that will resume as normal. 

Kinda glad Glastonbury cancelled early. It would of been a massive risk to organise and spend the money setting up. I wonder how the line up will look for reading. I would have been under the impression that big acts would only do it as part of a tour due to the costs associated? 

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

Only been the reading once and while I enjoyed it, don't think I would every go again. Doesn't have any magic for me

Not surprised its going ahead. If we're going to have no restrictions by 21st June then its only logical that anything after that will resume as normal. 

Kinda glad Glastonbury cancelled early. It would of been a massive risk to organise and spend the money setting up. I wonder how the line up will look for reading. I would have been under the impression that big acts would only do it as part of a tour due to the costs associated? 

Imagine the anxiety if Glastonbury was going ahead with us looking at all the virus data etc. It wouldn’t have been the usual fun build up. 

• Upvote 1

More on partner's vaccine invite...called up local vaccination place to see if can get her in there because getting over to city ground is a bit of an arse...and they were very confused why she had received an offer if she doesn't have any health conditions etc., and in the end asked if we can call doctor to find out why she has received this text. So, might just drive over to etihad stadium after all!

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I can't really see why they should have a problem unless they're not prepared to take the risk.

Thats what its pretty much coming down to aint it.

• Those who take the risk with no Covid cancellation insurance
  • Those who dont take the risk and postpone till next year
  • Those who need to take the risk as they have no choice as no money to refund tickets

43 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

What do you think of Boomtowns chances now? I heard that they may be folding

Really? where did you hear that?

Never been and the line up wasn't my thing but I loved what they were trying to achieve. They were recently looking for a finance manager 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

So are R/L talking about doing mass testing or just a normal festival with a hopefully reasonably vaccinated crowd ?

They're not saying anything much just yet, but they were the first to push testing so if that's the route they have to go then I guess they'll do it.

But the roadmap suggests no restrictions by then, so in theory everything should be normal.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So are R/L talking about doing mass testing or just a normal festival with a hopefully reasonably vaccinated crowd ?

Can they do mass testing for best part of 200k people? With it being 6 months away, vast majority of over 18s and wish to have the vaccine will be done.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Can they do mass testing for best part of 200k people? With it being 6 months away, vast majority of over 18s and wish to have the vaccine will be done.

Testing that many shouldn't be too difficult depending on the number of days beforehand that's allowed, particularly as fewer tests should be needed in the general population by then (plus perhaps better tests).

The govt have themselves suggested testing for 100,000 for footie, so event testing should be doable.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Testing that many shouldn't be too difficult depending on the number of days beforehand that's allowed, particularly as fewer tests should be needed in the general population by then (plus perhaps better tests).

The govt have themselves suggested testing for 100,000 for footie, so event testing should be doable.

My expectation is if you want to go to a mass event like Reading you pop into Boots 2 days before and pay about £30-50 to get your 'proof'. Unless you've been vaccinated and then no need.

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

its 80k site isnt it? anyway, i imagine itd be a case of getting a vaccine/negative test uploaded on your phone and using that

Just now, xxialac said:

My expectation is if you want to go to a mass event like Reading you pop into Boots 2 days before and pay about £30-50 to get your 'proof'. Unless you've been vaccinated and then no need.

By August, probably be something more like a fiver. itll be a lateral flow test of some sort