When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

The more I look at it the more I think this roadmap is pretty much perfect. It has something for everyone. The more cautious among us will be reassured to note that indoor household mixing is off limits until 17th May (incidentally, I expect all adults to have been offered a vaccine by 15th May)

Whereas those more keen to open up will be happy to see that all legal limits on social contact are expected to be gone by the summer.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The more I look at it the more I think this roadmap is pretty much perfect. It has something for everyone. The more cautious among us will be reassured to note that indoor household mixing is off limits until 17th May (incidentally, I expect all adults to have been offered a vaccine by 15th May)

Whereas those more keen to open up will be happy to see that all legal limits on social contact are expected to be gone by the summer.

Agree

It seems to strike a relatively sensible balance between cautious (allowing 5 week gaps to monitor each steps rather than opening everything at once) and us actually getting our lives back. So happy to see an end in sight.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, hate to say it cause he's a massive c**t...but he's in a pretty good place politically I reckon, vaccines have come to the rescue.

Yup. On the one hand we obviously all wanted vaccines to work and for us to get out of this mess, but on the other we all know the electorate have the collective memory of a goldfish so all the horrors that went before it will be lost to the mists of time. It's a political case of no-one remembering how you win the title, just that you won. Incredibly frustrating.

23 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

For a plan "driven by data not dates" there seems to be a lot of dates.

For me the difference this time is that there are expected dates with some decent caveats, not just a headlong plunge regardless. If they hadn't put any dates on it at all then it would have needed every criteria to be nailed down and agreed, which would never be the case with something like this. At the moment it's a reasonable balance.

45 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

This plan seems very reasonable and gives some much needed hope in these times, glad they seem to be taking it cautiously and realistically this time 

Agree with this. It's given me the little lift I needed. Would have liked to see gyms earlier, but I can't hugely argue with the logic. On that roadmap we can even do our little UK holiday with friends in May! Thought that would be a goner.

So as the name suggests I'm a lurker - this thread has kept me informed/entertained/crying (delete as appropriate!) over the last 12 months.

Johnson's latest has basically tipped me over the edge; I have now been without work for exactly (to the day) 12 months, I'm a Freelance limited company chef, no work = no money & I've had zero government help - sorry, I was all that, now I'm a person about to loss their mind. Plus limited co prob going to have to be dissolved with April tax changes, so soon I'll have no work & no company.

Yes, caution is good but hospitality is yet again taking the brunt.

I mean yes, I too can't wait to be dancing around in a field, hugging my mates but to be honest I'd rather have some semblance of work before then - eateries aren't due to be open for inside dining until Mid May!

So yay for the potential of some kind of summer funtimes but bloody hell can I please get some sort of career back 1st!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yup. On the one hand we obviously all wanted vaccines to work and for us to get out of this mess, but on the other we all know the electorate have the collective memory of a goldfish so all the horrors that went before it will be lost to the mists of time. It's a political case of no-one remembering how you win the title, just that you won. Incredibly frustrating.

The next election is 3 years away, you have to wonder how much of it will dominated by COVID if any at all?

From the roadmap

132. DCMS and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy have been
working with representatives from industry and civil society to explore when and how
events with larger crowd sizes, less social distancing or in settings where
transmission is more likely (i.e. indoors), will be able to return safely. This includes
sports events, music festivals and large weddings and conferences.

133. Over the spring the Government will run a scientific Events Research Programme.
This will include a series of pilots using enhanced testing approaches and other
measures to run events with larger crowd sizes and reduced social distancing to
evaluate the outcomes. The pilots will start in April.

134. The Government will bring the findings from across different sectors and different
settings to determine a consistent approach to lifting restrictions on these events.
Depending on the outcome of this work, the Government hopes to be able to lift
restrictions on these events and sectors as part of Step 4.