When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

So with the question now turning to people not vaccinating and focus being shifted away from number of cases to serious cases, do we know what % of people who get the virus get a serious illness broken down by group (e.g. clinically vulnerable, over 80s etc).

The ONS weekly studies might have that info at some stage, otherwise maybe PHE? Sorry that’s pretty useless!

6 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

So with the question now turning to people not vaccinating and focus being shifted away from number of cases to serious cases, do we know what % of people who get the virus get a serious illness broken down by group (e.g. clinically vulnerable, over 80s etc).

Someone will have the numbers to hand surely, but i recall even the % of over 80's that get seriously ill is small.. but they are the most likely to get seriously ill... if that makes sense? ha 

We have reduced the risk to over 80's and vulnerable by a large amount. In theory if that is correct then the number of deaths and hospital admission will drop to almost nothing. 

We are bound to see some seasonal resurgence in the autumn though.... which should be covered by booster jabs. 

Edited by Havors

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

Allowing all school years to return at the same time appears to be an anomaly in what is otherwise a cautious approach. I wonder if that shows there was some compromising along the way from different fields of expertise. 

expect so, by all accounts Whitty was not supportive of all years going back. In the end they have to find a balance, can't please everyone...but does look like Johnson listening to health experts over economists this time....

57 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

"Kinda defines what type of person you are." Judgemental and intolerant? Is it OK for me to refuse to be a friend of a muslim (as an example) because I don't agree with their views on women's role in society or homosexuality? Anti-muslim sentiment on here is usually frowned upon (quite rightly), they have a right to a different opinion to me. I have friends with differing views on many things but I doubt I would lose them over a political argument.

"because at that point im calling 99%  researchers, doctors and medical professionals a liar because they are telling me this is safe." It's possible to believe they are telling the truth but are mistaken, not everything is as black and white as you seem to think. 

Yes. If someone is anti-LBGTQ rights or tries to repress a women's role in society then its is 100% ok for you not to be their friend. If any of my friends felt that way, then it would be an issue for me. How can it not be an issue for you?!

So you're ok with your friends supporting trump? Denying climate change? What if your friends Denies the holocaust ? Are you going to be like "differing view" and move on. You wouldn't want to lose that friendship with a racist eh?

Lets switch the argument around. Say 99% of experts say that Chemical X will harm you but 1% on a Facebook post said it will cure you. Who are you going to listen to? 

Im sure your argument sounded smarter in your head... Genuinely shocked how stupid your arguments are. Sound like someone who struggles to tie their shoelaces 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

expect so, by all accounts Whitty was not supportive of all years going back. In the end they have to find a balance, can't please everyone...but does look like Johnson listening to health experts over economists this time....

Yeah, assuming it was purely on Johnson and Williamson to agree and sign off on the plan for schools though, as this would not be the preferred approach of the scientists, and the economists would be fairly neutral about them you would think.  

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

SAGE desperate for more lockdowns

Do you think it would be better if SAGE said "there's a small chance a new variant won't be stopped by the vaccine, but if that happens we won't bother with any restrictions while we develop and roll out booster jabs cos everyone is so sick of lockdown they'd rather risk dying"?

Just now, st dan said:

Yeah, assuming it was purely on Johnson and Williamson to agree and sign off on the plan for schools though, as this would not be the preferred approach of the scientists, and the economists would be fairly neutral about them you would think.  

yes, and that is how it should be ultimately. I mean they were probably listening to education experts, mental health experts etc as well as the scientists here.

Maybe if things keep improving adn the data is good Johnson will listen more to people calling for pubs/restaurants to open for outdoor dining/drinking in April....

This tweet, showing cases by age

Then this tweet, showing hospital admissions per 100,000 by age (bottom left image) 

And icu admissions (second tweet in the quoted thread - couldn't  work out how to make it put just one)

This does indicate to me that when the over 44s are done that there is an argument that we don't need many restrictions. The high weighting of cases in the 16-44 groups in the first graph has not translated too much into the hosptialisations graphs, but above that isn't looking great. 

And this isn't even taking into account the many who have already had the virus.

I actually agree with Hancock's "at your own risk" by then- obviously some won't want to take the risk but many will and those hospitalisation numbers are definitely not indicating an NHS likely to be in trouble by that point

This is probably what others have already seen but I haven't seen the numbers broken down like that as its usually 18-64 lumped together. 

36 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's relevant because we are talking about treating a group of people differently because of their perceived views, not all vaccine refusers have the same reasons or are followers of conspiracy theories, just as not all muslims hold the same views re: women and gays, though quite a few do. But this is a distraction from my original point which is we will all be affected by the response to the unvaccinated it will be one of the most divisive subjects ever, things are going to get ugly.

The Muslim thing is irrelevant to how I'd treat someone though. I would certainly be (and am) friends with Muslims who think that men and women are equally and homosexuality is okay. I would not be friends with someone who didn't believe that, regardless of if they were Muslim or not.

Your initial post sort of read like you were saying it'd be weird to end a friendship because you found out your friend didn't think gay people should exist, I was just saying that seemed a perfectly reasonable course of action to me.

I don't think that's on the same level as not taking the COVID jab though. I think it's socially irresponsible but then I think the same about voting Tory and plenty of other things. Including plenty of things that I still do myself!