When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, st dan said:

I agree with you and would have liked to have seen that approach too, but I think they are essentially using the 2 weeks the schools are open to assess the impact at the end of the 2 week Easter break. I guess the only meaningful data we will get from that is number of positive cases, but if they don’t spike too high then I think they’ll be happy. 

But why risk it? Keep the kids away from eachother for four and half more weeks. Keep the vaccine roll out at full throttle. Open everything after Easter as we head into warmer weather and spend more time outdoors. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Just now, zahidf said:

They said last year that they are hoping for 75% vaccination for an impact.

It's not blackmail. If you want to do certain things (which aren't essential) then take a vaccine.

Yes they say in that plan the initial expectation was 75% and that to date the higher age groups have been running at 90% so you have to wonder why they have just released this new plan, they clearly expect uptake to decline. There may well be sufficient effect on the virus with a lower uptake when you take into account the natural immunity that already exists so it's strange that they have set in stone a new plan at this stage.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

cause they've already missed so much school and they and their parents are going fuckin crazy.

I've got 3 kids myself. Believe me, I understand. But I'd rather they get it right this time so that we don't have to go into lockdown again. Letting them mix for the sake of two weeks after everything we have gone through seems daft to me.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We once viewed the concept of taking a kid out of school for two weeks during term time as being extremely damaging to their education.  It was true then and it is true now.

The sooner we get kids back with their teachers the sooner we start to fix the tremendous damage which is done.

Kids should go back first - everything else can wait as long as it needs to wait.  

I don't have kids but I agree with this completely. Should definitely be the priority.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

D'oh I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be allowed until later. We have one booked for Mid April and now our dog is having surgery we won't be able to go anyway. Think we can change dates but it will cost us so I was hoping that the government would for once do me a solid and not open them up until later in the year and then I would have been able to change the date at no cost. 

It seems a bit rubbish to go on holiday to a place we picked because of pubs being over the road so we could grab a bit to eat easily only for them to be closed anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I just can't see the sense in sending all the kids back to school & college on 8th March. That age group is currently the most prone to catching the virus. Why send them back for just two weeks before breaking up for Easter? It seems like asking for trouble and possibly undoing all the good work of this lockdown.

Why not keep them away from each other for two more weeks (plus the Easter holidays) and then open EVERYTHING back up at the end of Easter?

Is the problem if they are off those 2 weeks then essentially they are off for another month, so whilst it might seem risky to send them back for those 2 weeks I think they don’t want those kids going another month with schools. It’s such a delicate one schools as it’s so important but I feel they need to try to get them back on the 8th if they can. 

7 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

But why risk it? Keep the kids away from eachother for four and half more weeks. Keep the vaccine roll out at full throttle. Open everything after Easter as we head into warmer weather and spend more time outdoors. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Again I agree with you, but it could be connected to seeing the impact of just having the schools open whilst the rest of the country is still in lockdown.
If there is no real impact in cases, then in a worst case scenario and another lockdown is needed (although almost certainly it won’t) they know they can keep the schools open. They absolutely never want to close them again, no matter what. Its basically running a real world trial. 
Also another month of schools being closed is a very long time for both kids and parents - a lot of which are already at breaking point. If they feel the schools are safe to now open (which they must) then you can say they are right to do so ASAP. The 8th March date was chosen to be 3 weeks after all the most vulnerable were vaccinated, and the 3 week period for this to come into effect. So this date was driven by science rather than plucked out of thin air - it just happens to fall 2 weeks before the Easter holidays which is not ideal. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, Glastoboy said:

I've got 3 kids myself. Believe me, I understand. But I'd rather they get it right this time so that we don't have to go into lockdown again. Letting them mix for the sake of two weeks after everything we have gone through seems daft to me.

yeah, I understand you're argument...and I think Whitty probably agrees with you...but there is a massive worry about the damage being done to kids which can't be fixed easily...and the start of lockdown easing was always going to be schools. Just have to see what happens with the infection rate etc. I actually thought they would just have primary schools back, and then just year 11 and 13 in high schools, but looks like they're doing the whole hog. Personally I'd rather they had schools back and delayed opening of shops and pubs...but that may not be too popular.

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Fair enough on the vaccine thing because its so important to getting people's lives and livelihoods back- but imagine a world where nobody ever questioned anything. Going into thought police territory - there will be plenty of cases where things were put out there as indisputable facts that turned out to be anything but - WMDs in Iraq for example was a "conspiracy theory" until it wasn't. Now its used as one of the reasons to justify an endles Tory government 

Like i said not an anti vaxx argument but where does the line get drawn? 

It's a good point and I tried to be as neutral as I could in what I said, but it's also equally obvious that I'm not an anti-vaxxer. 

But I guess what I mean is: maybe they are right. Maybe the whole world is controlled by Bill Gates and his illuminati and the vaccine programme is a way to microchip us all. Maybe I am the idiot and they really are smarter than everyone else. Is that possible? I guess, technically, yes. And ultimately I don't think these people should not be allowed their opinion, or even to post it on social media if they want.

But I don't see how I can ever have a friend like that. Because I don't know how we ever discuss anything. There's no source I'll ever be able to find that proves him wrong because everything I find is part of the conspiracy. And he can't prove anything to me as everything will be a secondhand source because "no one is allowed to say the truth".

I discuss the news with my friends but we can't have that discussion if someone thinks all news is made up and paid for. Or like this thread, if someone comes on and says "well I think COVID is a hoax" they'll get hounded off, and in part that's because it's a nonsense, dangerous view, but also in part it's because that adds nothing to the discussion here. It's no use asking them "is the government roadmap too fast or too slow?" because the answer will be "well neither as COVID is a hoax".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Thankfully the zero covid morons like Devi Sridhar, Deepti Gurdasani and Gabriel Scally have been widely ignored then. 

I was going to respond to this, but I think I might just go downstairs and have a pint and make a toast to the Zero Covid morons 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The EU 😂😂😂

5A875F92-9B21-46C4-B46A-B4F89A029B12.png

The UK.  😂😂😂Having to suffer the worst lockdown in Europe 😂😂😂 (sarcasm)

Do you see now how childish this to laugh at other countries?

And do you realise the pandemic is at a global level? We're not safe until everyone is safe.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Will be interesting to hear what counts as 'self catering' 

We currently have a trip to Center Parcs booked for the last weekend in May...

We are booked in at Center Parcs first week of August, but 'we' is myself and boyfriend and parents and brother/sister-in-law - so the main concern for us will be the state of permission for "indoor household mixing".

Our first holiday cancellation together was last March, which got rolled to this April but that's obviously not going ahead, so all of my hopes are on our planned Center Parcs trip being okay.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is the problem if they are off those 2 weeks then essentially they are off for another month, so whilst it might seem risky to send them back for those 2 weeks I think they don’t want those kids going another month with schools. It’s such a delicate one schools as it’s so important but I feel they need to try to get them back on the 8th if they can. 

How about we keep them off that two weeks then send them in the two weeks they normally have off over Easter? I mean, that's so much better than doing it the other way around surely? What, did they have other plans for the holidays?!

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The UK.  😂😂😂Having to suffer the worst lockdown in Europe 😂😂😂 (sarcasm)

Do you see now how childish this to laugh at other countries?

And do you realise the pandemic is at a global level? We're not safe until everyone is safe.

Might as well celebrate the one thing we are good at 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

How about we keep them off that two weeks then send them in the two weeks they normally have off over Easter? I mean, that's so much better than doing it the other way around surely? What, did they have other plans for the holidays?!

The teaching unions would never go for that 

Just now, WestCountryGirl said:

We are booked in at Center Parcs first week of August, but 'we' is myself and boyfriend and parents and brother/sister-in-law - so the main concern for us will be the state of permission for "indoor household mixing".

Our first holiday cancellation together was last March, which got rolled to this April but that's obviously not going ahead, so all of my hopes are on our planned Center Parcs trip being okay.

I've started to lose track of the amount of holidays and annual leave that I've cancelled, rebooked then cancelled again!

Its just me and my girlfriend going so as long as its open we are good to go. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I just can't see the sense in sending all the kids back to school & college on 8th March. That age group is currently the most prone to catching the virus. Why send them back for just two weeks before breaking up for Easter? It seems like asking for trouble and possibly undoing all the good work of this lockdown.

Why not keep them away from each other for two more weeks (plus the Easter holidays) and then open EVERYTHING back up at the end of Easter?

Where I live the Easter hols are 2nd to 18th April, so they'll get nearly 4 weeks back at school if they go back on 8th March.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Might as well celebrate the one thing we are good at 

The teaching unions would never go for that 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Teachers have lives and contracts of employments as well.  

You're right, and it'll never happen, but that's part of why we're in this mess. It's clearly the best option to anyone sane, but we're all so brainwashed that school holidays are immovable things they're actually more important than saving lives.

That people would complain at being told that their two week leave is moving back two weeks (effectively netting them two extra day's leave because of the bank holidays) from one two-week period where they'll be under a stay-at-home order to a different two week period where they'll be under a stay-at-home order.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Pfizer and AZ vaccines reduce hospital admissions by 85% and 94%, study suggests

The Covid vaccination programme has been linked to a substantial reduction in hospital admissions, PA Media is reporting. The PA story goes on:

Researchers examined coronavirus hospital admissions in Scotland among people who have had their first jab and compared them with those who had not yet received a dose of the vaccine.

Scientists from the University of Edinburgh, the University of Strathclyde and Public Health Scotland examined data on people who had received either the Pfizer/BioNTech jab or the one developed by experts at the University of Oxford with AstraZeneca.

By the fourth week after receiving the initial dose, the Pfizer and Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccines were shown to reduce the risk of hospital admission from Covid-19 by up to 85% and 94%, respectively, they found.

This isn’t the sort of news I was expecting to see. I thought they were supposed to reduce severe disease by 100%?