When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 2/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, shoptildrop said:

Thing is they aren't going to stay in, my parents will be out and about as it's their risk and believe that their immune system worked last time so surely it will work again... so why risk a vaccine that might change that?

I get what they are saying but it's sooo worrying for me 😞

My apologies, this was not helpful. Hoping that you manage to convince them, and provide them with the confidence they need. 

On 2/20/2021 at 10:45 AM, xxialac said:

If it's on your phone, wouldn't surprise me if they spend all of two seconds checking the date and nothing more!

Correct!

France - DFDS Check in - Checked Booking, Negative Test proof, Got us to fill in a travel form to exit France. 
               Passport Control - Checked Passport, asked where we'd been, asked if any cigarettes (lol)

UK - Border Control - Checked Passport, Negative Test proof, glanced at Passenger Locator Form, asked where we had been - said France/Spain and Portugal which was 11 days ago... laughed and said you timed that well.... and that was it.. not even a search of the van.

We will see if we get a call from Test & Trace in the next 10 days..

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Correct!

France - DFDS Check in - Checked Booking, Negative Test proof, Got us to fill in a travel form to exit France. 
               Passport Control - Checked Passport, asked where we'd been, asked if any cigarettes (lol)

UK - Border Control - Checked Passport, Negative Test proof, glanced at Passenger Locator Form, asked where we had been - said France/Spain and Portugal which was 11 days ago... laughed and said you timed that well.... and that was it.. not even a search of the van.

We will see if we get a call from Test & Trace in the next 10 days..

Well played and congrats for making it back!

Something I think is important to throw into the ongoing "speed v. caution" debate around reopening is that it's a lot better all round, and provides the Govt with the possibility of boosts in the future, to announce a cautious timetable, and leave open the possibility of bringing some things forward if the data looks good, than to announce an optimistic timetable, only to have to potentially then push things back if the trends aren't looking as good as hoped.

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Once things start to open back up I don’t think I can take another 6 months of the “here comes the third wave” big garden brigade. They’re as bad as the Bill Gates microchip truthers.

As oppose to the “Christmas in a pandemic is a great idea!” And “I think we’ve already achieved herd immunity this summer [2020]!” And “there’s nothing that can be done, we can’t wait for them to invent vaccines, we’ll just have to live with it” brigade 😜

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It was immunity that was the main worry with SA variant.

Yep, but some people are pretending they don’t understand why some scientists are calling for caution- to them they’re just trying to stop fun! Here’s why the government is taking a cautious approach, fine if people want to disagree with it, but this “oh just don’t listen to them! They’re trying to stop fun!” is daft:

Health experts warn that global vaccination efforts need to be stepped up to prevent more mutations from taking place, and more variants from arising. Another strain that arose independently in Brazil has also shown similar mutations to the South African strain, with the same potential to reinfect people who already had Covid-19.

President Joe Biden last month signed off on travel restrictions to ban passengers coming from South Africa, in an attempt to control the spread of the variant. But with case numbers still high in other countries, and the potential for third and fourth waves to come, the virus could continue to mutate and resist currently available vaccines.

“We are in a race to get ahead of the virus, to reduce transmission, to vaccinate everybody in the world before this virus evolves in ways that we can’t predict,” said Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, a health charity in the United Kingdom.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fight-against-covid-19-variants-south-africa-lesson-world-n1258319

31 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

As oppose to the “Christmas in a pandemic is a great idea!” And “I think we’ve already achieved herd immunity this summer [2020]!” And “there’s nothing that can be done, we can’t wait for them to invent vaccines, we’ll just have to live with it” brigade 😜

Those lot are fine.  It's the "were right every single time, but now might possibly not be" brigade that are the real scum. Erring on the side of saving lives c**ts.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, but some people are pretending they don’t understand why some scientists are calling for caution- to them they’re just trying to stop fun! Here’s why the government is taking a cautious approach, fine if people want to disagree with it, but this “oh just don’t listen to them! They’re trying to stop fun!” is daft:

Health experts warn that global vaccination efforts need to be stepped up to prevent more mutations from taking place, and more variants from arising. Another strain that arose independently in Brazil has also shown similar mutations to the South African strain, with the same potential to reinfect people who already had Covid-19.

President Joe Biden last month signed off on travel restrictions to ban passengers coming from South Africa, in an attempt to control the spread of the variant. But with case numbers still high in other countries, and the potential for third and fourth waves to come, the virus could continue to mutate and resist currently available vaccines.

“We are in a race to get ahead of the virus, to reduce transmission, to vaccinate everybody in the world before this virus evolves in ways that we can’t predict,” said Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust, a health charity in the United Kingdom.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fight-against-covid-19-variants-south-africa-lesson-world-n1258319

The problem with this approach is it is potentially never ending. We cannot control the speed at which other countries vaccinate and therefore cannot control the likelihood of variants emerging, and we also cannot permanently close our borders and ban international travel to prevent any variants being imported. It would be a constant race between virus and vaccine which would not end until zero COVID worldwide is achieved. There is also no guarantee that the virus mutates further. Therefore to keep heavy restrictions to protect against this is disproportionate. 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Those lot are fine.  It's the "were right every single time, but now might possibly not be" brigade that are the real scum. Erring on the side of saving lives c**ts.

The “I obsessively follow and post on the ‘when will this shit end?’ thread” brigade are the lowest of the low though- it’s like they can’t help themselves, the poor chap who started this thread was only looking for a rough end date!😂

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The problem with this approach is it is potentially never ending. We cannot control the speed at which other countries vaccinate and therefore cannot control the likelihood of variants emerging, and we also cannot permanently close our borders and ban international travel to prevent any variants being imported. It would be a constant race between virus and vaccine which would not end until zero COVID worldwide is achieved. There is also no guarantee that the virus mutates further. Therefore to keep heavy restrictions to protect against this is disproportionate. 

That’s the worry, which is why I’m hoping the government is transparent with their reasoning so there’s a reasonable debate, whatever approach is decided

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Exactly this. There has yet to be a variant that causes severe disease and death in vaccinated people and there’s no reason to believe that will happen. 
Apparently understanding that means you want people to die.