When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This apparently is via The Times:

As long as those are “no later than” rather than “not before” then it could have been a lot worse. 
If indoors pubs and restaurants are opening in May and August for clubs then it brings hope to the idea that outdoors festivals and sporting events could take place without social distancing by June/July. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is from Sacha Lord, doesn't he contradicts his earlier post his leak he 'believes to be true'?

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 18.54.24.png

Not necessarily, the things he mentions in his second tweet aren't the same as in his first, and the dates across the two do seem to match up

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

But why? Not trying to have a go at all just interested to see why if cases continue to fall? 

I don't see cases continuing to fall if they open all those things by Easter. The reduction in cases is slowing as it is so we need ample time between small steps to gauge if the measures are too much at that moment in time. Move pubs opening till 3 weeks after shops opening at Easter and I feel that's a more sensible plan.

1 minute ago, waltere said:

Not necessarily, the things he mentions in his second tweet aren't the same as in his first, and the dates across the two do seem to match up

The Times leak has shops & pubs opening early April though which contradicts his earlier tweet. This is thing several people will get ideas of the plans from their sources some of which might turn out to be incorrect, they would do best not saying anything till tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don't see cases continuing to fall if they open all those things by Easter. The reduction in cases is slowing as it is so we need ample time between small steps to gauge if the measures are too much at that moment in time. Move pubs opening till 3 weeks after shops opening at Easter and I feel that's a more sensible plan.

But cases will continue to fall from our current position for another 4 weeks, right, meaning that we’d have a lower base before those things opened? By which stage also the protection for the 17m first doses to date will have kicked in. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Times leak has shops & pubs opening early April though which contradicts his earlier tweet.

Ah that's fair enough then, I hadn't done a full comparison and was just looking at the content of his tweets.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is thing several people will get ideas of the plans from their sources some of which might turn out to be incorrect, they would do best not saying anything till tomorrow.

100% agree. Unfortunately a side effect of the modern 24 hour cycle, 'breaking' on twitter obsessed news world where the caché and credit of being "first" has become more important than actually being correct.

1 minute ago, StuMalinas said:

Hopefully I am off to Vegas for 10 days in July, looking extremely doubtful might push back to September 

Not sure the US is going to be on the cards. Biden will be very cautious about reopening, as much as central government policy can enforce. Europe would seem more likely. 

21 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

I get why outdoor pubs reduce risk a lot but that does not account for drunk people and social distancing, compared to sober people in indoor gyms (often alone and social distancing). 

Yeah but gyms are exertion and heavy breathing. If people are forced to have table service outdoors in beer gardens there’s not much mixing that can go on. Apart from all the lines in the bog with a shared 20 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe. But I hear these vaccine things they're using really are very good. We'll see.

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Supermarkets are open and cases are falling - suggests non essential retail can be safe. 

If it's outdoors only what's the real difference between going for a beer outside or going for a walk outside?

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How much of this speculation is from any sources ? and how much is newspapers trying to generate clicks ? im unsure if Boris would be testing the waters at this late stage ? 

If the leaking at this late stage is driven by Spaffer then it can only be because the announcement tomorrow will please the public more than these leaks.

Just now, steviewevie said:

still need a few weeks between each stage to see if all ok...

We do. Hopefully we'll get them, and more importantly the government follows what the data is actually telling them. I really don't know whether any of the plans make sense yet. And none of us really will until it's time to implement another one of the stages.

But schools on the 8th sounds good to me.

9 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Yeah but gyms are exertion and heavy breathing. If people are forced to have table service outdoors in beer gardens there’s not much mixing that can go on. Apart from all the lines in the bog with a shared 20 

It’s true, but I don’t think there have been any outbreaks linked to gyms and now we know more about how this spreads (ie aerosols not by touch) then unless you’re stood right next to someone breathing mid set it’s a low risk.