When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, st dan said:

A73AF0AF-A0EE-40F0-A58F-5B324179C4F9.thumb.jpeg.3974d611804b2328a2a9c3cb851f6b41.jpeg

As the good news emerges regarding vaccine effectiveness etc, Sky News go all out with new headlines to keep people’s hopes as low as possible. They’ve been disgusting in how they have reported this pandemic throughout. 

Christ when you actually click on to that, those two statements are from totally different stories, with the "tougher restrictions" thing being if we open up too early and cases rise...

No fucking shit we'll need more restrictions if cases rise again? Yes I get what clickbait is, but c'mon guys...

17 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm scared to look at the number of hours I've played of Football Manager on my Switch recently 

I got an email from Nintendo a while back giving me a breakdown of how many hours of each game I've played since I got it...not sure why they need to tell me such information! 

58 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It’s a good question and not in tin foil hat territory at all! The mRNA that gets delivered by the vaccine doesn’t hang around very long, it’s a pretty unstable molecule, so we get a short exposure to it and our immune system is primed. In patients that progress to severe Covid, the virus continues to replicate, so the signal for our immune system to keep responding persists and the struggle between our immune system and the virus goes on a lot longer.

The virus does do some damage too, and multiple organs have receptors for it so the infection spreads to other places outside the lungs. Poor outcomes certainly have a strong inflammatory component to them, but there is undoubtedly damage caused by the virus itself in various organs (I remember looking at histology slides from the lungs of severe Covid patients early on and it looked really like COPD. Just this morning I was looking at x-rays of the lungs of Covid patients and again, the loss of elasticity seen in COPD patients is very clear on the x-rays of Covid patients (lungs are longer on x-ray, a few more ribs visible)). So there’s physical destruction of the lungs occurring. Whether that’s due to chronic inflammation, viral damage, a combination of the two or something else, we don’t know yet. But prolonged infection vs a short exposure via vaccination stimulate the immune system a bit differently. Of course, the immune system is complex and how different people respond is wide and varied (with many confounding factors). The trials haven’t noted any greater difficulty in those that get infected post-vaccination (quite the opposite in fact and mild/moderate disease predominates), so just like I don’t think we are stimulating ADE with the vaccines, I also don’t think we are predisposing for more severe disease on subsequent exposure. The quality of the immune response is key and the vaccines seem to stimulate a highly specific response. There’s still loads to learn, we’ll be studying this for years to come!!

Your posts are always very informative, but I always feel like a kid asking “yeah, but why?!” After every answer😂 I don’t get how your immune system knows how to do this- is it sentient or something?! Is it sat there trying out different stuff and thinking “well, that didn’t work!”? Or are we into the realm of metaphysics?!

(Don’t worry Toilet Duck, I’m not actually expecting you to have the answers to these questions!😂)

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

AMAZING. This feels really significant and never imagined could be shown to work in normal refigeration too!

Be quite amusing if this bit of data was found out by accident, like AstraZeneca's previous discovery...

"You put the Pfizer in the fridge?! You CRETIN! Actually.....it seems alright!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Seems like a good news day ... I’ve just ordered a test as part of the Zoe survey because I’ve had a sore throat this week I think that’s why they’ve sent it ... so that will be my 3rd test 🙂 anyone know if the results are any slower to get sent back ? 

Pretty quick in my experience. Ordered it Friday, got it midday Saturday, bunged it in the post an hour later and got the results 2pm Sunday.

Sample size of 1 though!

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Your posts are always very informative, but I always feel like a kid asking “yeah, but why?!” After every answer😂 I don’t get how your immune system knows how to do this- is it sentient or something?! Is it sat there trying out different stuff and thinking “well, that didn’t work!”? Or are we into the realm of metaphysics?!

(Don’t worry Toilet Duck, I’m not actually expecting you to have the answers to these questions!😂)

There isn’t an easy answer! And a lot of the time nobody knows, but basically the vaccine contains one small part of the virus, and our immune system makes things to recognise that. In a prolonged infection (which people that get severe Covid have), our immune system reacts not just to that small bit, but also to every other exposed part of the virus, also to other bits of the virus that our own cells show it and also to the damage the virus causes (our immune response serves to both protect and repair). The best way of describing it is that in those with severe disease, the repairs don’t go so well. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Pretty quick in my experience. Ordered it Friday, got it midday Saturday, bunged it in the post an hour later and got the results 2pm Sunday.

Sample size of 1 though!

That will be an exact replica of mine hopefully ... to the day 🙂 thanks 

R number is apparently now lower than it has EVER been before, even despite the looser lockdown (compared to the first) and the fact that the dominant variant is more transmissible than OG-covid.

I have to believe we are seeing signs of herd immunity. A quarter of the population have been vaccinated and probably a similar number have had the virus (not mutually exclusive, though given the demographics of those vaccinated the overlap won’t be massive). If the vaccine programme keeps up momentum then I reckon the virus will be all but gone in a couple of months. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

R number is apparently now lower than it has EVER been before, even despite the looser lockdown (compared to the first) and the fact that the dominant variant is more transmissible than OG-covid.

I have to believe we are seeing signs of herd immunity. A quarter of the population have been vaccinated and probably a similar number have had the virus (not mutually exclusive, though given the demographics of those vaccinated the overlap won’t be massive). If the vaccine programme keeps up momentum then I reckon the virus will be all but gone in a couple of months. 

The phrase "herd immunity" has become a bit of a no-no due to previous arguments over how much to allow COVID to spread, but yes, it's near impossible that it's not now becoming a pretty big factor in current levels of spread, thanks to vaccines and acquired immunity through infection.

Each jab is another needle in the side of the R rate.

Lots of good news today.

Thought we may have had a few more leaks about Monday’s announcement. Are they waiting for the Sunday papers?

I’d be interested to hear when we can visit our family/mix socially, when I can play outdoor 6-a-side football and when I can go to a cinema again (gigs/theatre will surely follow?)

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

zero covid then.

23 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

There isn’t an easy answer! And a lot of the time nobody knows, but basically the vaccine contains one small part of the virus, and our immune system makes things to recognise that. In a prolonged infection (which people that get severe Covid have), our immune system reacts not just to that small bit, but also to every other exposed part of the virus, also to other bits of the virus that our own cells show it and also to the damage the virus causes (our immune response serves to both protect and repair). The best way of describing it is that in those with severe disease, the repairs don’t go so well. 

Is that because the immune system is overloaded? It has so much to deal with its effectively making mistakes, and it can't keep up?

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Lots of good news today.

Thought we may have had a few more leaks about Monday’s announcement. Are they waiting for the Sunday papers?

I’d be interested to hear when we can visit our family/mix socially, when I can play outdoor 6-a-side football and when I can go to a cinema again (gigs/theatre will surely follow?)

maybe just wait till Monday.

Actually, we're supposed to find out sometime next week, might not necessarily be Monday.

16 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Lots of good news today.

I think the ever increasing positive news in regards to the effectiveness of the vaccines (including the reduction of transmission which now looks solid) has meant that plans to ‘open up’ may now be sooner than they were anticipating.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve had to rip up any roadmap that was in place even this time last week. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

maybe just wait till Monday.

Actually, we're supposed to find out sometime next week, might not necessarily be Monday.

It's definitely on Monday. Has been confirmed by no. 10.

I'd be pretty annoyed if we can't meet another person socially rather than purely for exercise fairly soon. 

I know someone who was out in Bath with their Mum and child, sat on a bench to have a coffee / chat and got told off. Seems so OTT.

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Seems like a good news day ... I’ve just ordered a test as part of the Zoe survey because I’ve had a sore throat this week I think that’s why they’ve sent it ... so that will be my 3rd test 🙂 anyone know if the results are any slower to get sent back ? 

I ordered my test because of the Zoe app just after Christmas and it's through the same system as all other NHS tests so should take the same amount of time. Mine took 3 days then, I guess because demand was so high for processing! 

It told me do one this week too based on fatigue, headaches etc so hope it's a bit quicker!