When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Last year I was hoping to be able to go abroad at some point this year. Now I've bargained myself down to hoping I might be able to go to the swimming baths at some point or have my sister an neice be able to stay over. 

At the other end of the spectrum, one of my friends still seems to think they're off to Mauritius for a holiday in a few weeks, which I find mind boggling! 

I think most people I know are most focused on/hopeful for being able to have friends and family round- not really arsed about pubs and shops etc. 

Yeah that's kind of where I am. I'd like to see people and get back to the gym mainly. I would love to go to a festival but can't really see it.

That said I do have some holidays booked, including one abroad now in the autumn, but just made sure they are all fully cancellable! 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Me too. But in terms of people I know, the expectations seem to be lower than a lot in this thread for some reason. I think I'm one of the more optimistic among my social groups and that's saying something! 

Me and my girlfriend have shifted a holiday from early April to the last week in May (UK based) which is to Center Parcs, I think that should be ok even if it's 'socially distanced' around the Parc.

More worringly is the trip to NYC for my 40th in August which I can see us having to postpone.

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's the classic overconfidence in their abilities, in combination with low level of abilities.

This one surely falls under the remit of the Home Secretary's office and Patel very much fits the above description.

Still confused as to why Hancock was announcing all these details regarding hotel isolation etc. Surely it’s Patel’s job to do so?

Sacrificial lamb springs to mind...

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Still confused as to why Hancock was announcing all these details regarding hotel isolation etc. Surely it’s Patel’s job to do so?

This got me too - all I can think of is that they have worked out who is most liked by the general public. I’d certainly say Hancock is next in line in those stakes, after Johnson. 
At the other end of the scale, Patel is pretty obviously loathed by many people, and they wouldn’t take too kindly to her delivering new measures, particularly ones as flawed as this. 

It’s a pathetic way to run a government, but they need as many people on board as they can right now, and on a human level, Hancock is probably the most genuine of a terrible bunch. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Yep, definitely. Hancock willing to do the jobs others hate so he's useful to keep on. 

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

This got me too - all I can think of is that they have worked out who is most liked by the general public. I’d certainly say Hancock is next in line in those stakes, after Johnson. 
At the other end of the scale, Patel is pretty obviously loathed by many people, and they wouldn’t take too kindly to her delivering new measures, particularly ones as flawed as this. 

It’s a pathetic way to run a government, but they need as many people on board as they can right now, and on a human level, Hancock is probably the most genuine of a terrible bunch. 

Probably, that's it, yes.

Hancock is incredibly insincere though.

If he was told to say black was white, he'd go along with that happily.

And all his smiling and jokiness is incredibly inappropriate when talking about vast loss of life.

He's also a dick to women and can't imagine many would find him a people-person if they saw his 'watch your tone' comments or his rude and condescending comments to a sensible question from Caroline Lucas this week. 

Classic bullied, turn bully type...

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

do you think it's more likely that ICU nurses retrain to other medical roles in the hospitals (is that even possible?) or leave the medical field entirely?

ICU nurses come & go all the time but for many it's a vocation: a highly skilled role but how it affects staff turnover I'm unsure. Moving on is a personal decision taken for a variety of reasons. And being pissed off is one of those reasons.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m convinced most of this cost is just built in as a deterrent to travelling at all tbh. In ZeroCovid paradise New Zealand, you don’t have to pay at all if you’re a resident and commit to staying for at least three months. 

NZ has had an outbreak I believe. My wife was getting a bit annoyed as a few of her friends were getting in a flap about Auckland imposing some restrictions... for a whole three days!

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

Hancock is most definitely NOT popular. 

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yep, definitely. Hancock willing to do the jobs others hate so he's useful to keep on. 

He’s also the last Remainer to hold a senior position in cabinet. Literally everyone else who’s reached a high position in Boris’s government was a Brexiteer voter. They’ll make him the fall guy (along with Vallance and Whitty) at the investigation. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you think full PPE will be the norm forever?  Even if vaccinations get the mortality/morbidity rate to something similar or lower than influenza?

There will be a point in the future when the risk of hospital transmission is so low it will allow PPE to be relaxed. It may well be on a unit basis depending on their patient intake. Right now that day is far off for those coming into contact with Covid patients, particularly respiratory units. 

27 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

No minister or department wanted responsibility for it. It got bounced from Dept for Transport (Shapps) to H.O (Patel) and then ended up in Hancock's Department (Health). They all knew what a poisoned chalice it might be, but Hancock ended up with it.

41 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's kind of where I am. I'd like to see people and get back to the gym mainly. I would love to go to a festival but can't really see it.

That said I do have some holidays booked, including one abroad now in the autumn, but just made sure they are all fully cancellable! 

Yeah, I was saying the same the other day. An expert on C4 news said that the antipodes have basically traded off foreign travel in exchange for a normalish domestic life. I would be more than happy to not go on a foreign holiday for a year if I could start popping out to the gym, cinema, etc.

Having said that, my mate and I did get drunk on Saturday and decided we are going to India in Nov.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Hancock is most definitely NOT popular. 

He’s also the last Remainer to hold a senior position in cabinet. Literally everyone else who’s reached a high position in Boris’s government was a Brexiteer voter. They’ll make him the fall guy (along with Vallance and Whitty) at the investigation. 

Said this before on here, but according to Tim Shipman's All Out War, Hancock was up with Cameron until the very end on Brexit night too.

So vaccine numbers in from Wales and supply has definitely been hit.

12,967 total dosage today (11,118 1st dose) which is less than yesterday (13,158) and is less than half of vaccines from Tuesday of last week (24,784).  I suspect we will see similar trends across the UK, in the coming days.

In other news 80% of the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable have been vaccinated.  Only just published this figure so not sure exactly what the make up of this group is, and we still don't have figures for the other ages.

Cases per 100,000 is now at 88, and deaths continue to come down.

Schools for age 3 to 7 are back as of Monday and it will be interesting for all to see the impact this has on the various figures.  For information the people who would have had their vaccination at least 21 days prior to this date (i.e. when effects should have kicked in) would have been 13% of the population.

33 minutes ago, Homer said:

Said this before on here, but according to Tim Shipman's All Out War, Hancock was up with Cameron until the very end on Brexit night too.

I had my REACT study test back today, negative result. Not sure what else happens now but good to know I didn’t have when I did the test. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I was saying the same the other day. An expert on C4 news said that the antipodes have basically traded off foreign travel in exchange for a normalish domestic life. I would be more than happy to not go on a foreign holiday for a year if I could start popping out to the gym, cinema, etc.

Having said that, my mate and I did get drunk on Saturday and decided we are going to India in Nov.

It's good to have dreams! Going to try to think a lot more positively about the back end of this year as it just gets a bit depressing otherwise.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

On 2/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, zahidf said:

The World Health Organisation special envoy for the global Covid-19 response, has said he expects “some sort” of vaccine passport will be introduced in future.

Speaking on Sky News on Monday morning, David Nabarro said:

I am absolutely certain in the next few months we will get a lot of movement and what are the conditions around which people are easily able to move from place to place, so some sort of vaccine certificate no doubt will be important.

Not a big deal, many countries around the world require proof of a yellow fever vaccination before you can enter the country. 

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My parents both under 65 and with no known health conditions have just had the phone call booking them in for their vaccination.

Its not like they live in a small place either so they are obviously ahead of schedule in parts of the country. 

My uncle who is 58 had his vaccine yesterday. No underlying health conditions