When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, thanks.

So low deliveries this week - although there's probably supply from recent weeks also kicking about to smooth it a bit.

Also, they've got to be daily deliveries for that week, surely? Otherwise we couldn't have vaccinated the numbers we we've done.

They've kept it a little vague (and considering how the EU reacted last month I dont blame them) but I'd assume they are fluctuations from that in terms of some of earlier deliveries coming a bit later for this week

21 minutes ago, st dan said:

Have they gone in too hard for this 15th Feb target, and are now left to pick up the pieces?

I would like to see a set date for them to reach categories 5 - 9 to keep them on track. I know we’ve seen ‘by May / end of April’ loosely thrown about, but we need a set date for everybody to push towards and for them to be held against. Otherwise it could start to dramatically dip. 

Not sure it really matters - just get as many people vaccinated as quickly as you can. Wouldn't have gained anything by spacing them out just so that we didn't have a couple of weeks with low numbers.

2 minutes ago, alanr said:

I may be a bit cynical, but I see this as the hotels seeing an opportunity to save some money. Have the same guests in a room for 10 days allows them to provide large packages instead of the one portion packages they use when a room is typically occupied for 1 or 2 nights.

They should all have the dispensers on the wall - it's so wasteful giving out little bottles of shampoo!

1 minute ago, alanr said:

I may be a bit cynical, but I see this as the hotels seeing an opportunity to save some money. Have the same guests in a room for 10 days allows them to provide large packages instead of the one portion packages they use when a room is typically occupied for 1 or 2 nights.

Could be. 

The hotels aren't getting a great deal though actually. 

Think from memory they're only getting £50/night (someone is making a lot of profit, presumably the company running the booking scheme) and will have had to make a lot of time and spent resource setting.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is all over soon and they wish they hadn't signed up for it.

They certainly won't want their name dragged through the mud when inevitably there's a mini outbreak. 

Just now, duke88 said:

Not sure it really matters - just get as many people vaccinated as quickly as you can. Wouldn't have gained anything by spacing them out just so that we didn't have a couple of weeks with low numbers.

That’s true, and it was the best approach to get them out to those who needed them most, as soon as possible.

Just would now like to see an open and realistic target for the other categories, as that will be a real indicator of when we might be able to start turning a corner with all this. 

Having a lower week occasionally after a bunch of good weeks isn’t a big deal IMO. You’d have to be a Mark Drakeford level idiot to think that a constant supply of vaccines is preferable to more vaccines early and less vaccines late.

Ultimately the key point is getting as many jabs into as many arms as possible, as quickly as possible. That’s why “going hard” to meet the 15/2/21 target is fine and why taking a stitch in time to save nine this week is also fine. 

26 minutes ago, st dan said:

Have they gone in too hard for this 15th Feb target, and are now left to pick up the pieces?

I would like to see a set date for them to reach categories 5 - 9 to keep them on track. I know we’ve seen ‘by May / end of April’ loosely thrown about, but we need a set date for everybody to push towards and for them to be held against. Otherwise it could start to dramatically dip. 

I think potentially they could’ve gone too hard just to meet this target and now I wouldn’t be surprised to see vaccine numbers slow in the coming days. Remember it’s all optics for these guys.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont agree with that. The faster we get more people vaccinated, the better

It wasn’t a criticism at all, just that it’s easy to lose sight of the bigger picture when you are solely focussed on hitting a specific date/target.
Would hope that isn’t the case, and hopefully Johnson confirms another target date tonight for the up to 50’s. 

Edited by st dan

Just now, Ozanne said:

I think potentially they could’ve gone too hard just to meet this target and now I wouldn’t be surprised to see vaccine numbers slow in the coming days. Remember it’s all optics for these guys.

they set the target knowing they had the vaccine supply to meet it. They didn't set themselves up for a fall.

Numbers are inevitably going to slow if supply slows - and this week supply slows. That's not the govts fault.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

That’s it yeah. That was from a while  back now and Pfizer have also had issues now.

Hadn't Pfizer built in there manufacturing change into these figures - so we expect the 80k still to be valid?

It was a planned expansion by Pfizer to increase the volume.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Is that a criticism? Do you think they should have let another govt chose for us? What a strange sentence. 

Of course it's a criticism. Would you expect anything else? Extremely strange I agree. Not every statement needs to include some sort of reference to how much you hate the Tories.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

they set the target knowing they had the vaccine supply to meet it. They didn't set themselves up for a fall.

Numbers are inevitably going to slow if supply slows - and this week supply slows. That's not the govts fault.

Yup. You should set the targets based on what the supplies are. Sounds like they have!

I think some people are getting too caught up in the politics of this. They want to meet the targets because we should meet the targets

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

That’s Scotland only so times by 12 or so and get U.K. numbers 

Crikey...Scotland received more doses in one week of deliveries than Ireland has received to date! (Since end of December we’ve received a grand total of about 300,000 doses, pretty much all of which are in arms)...no wonder we are still faffing about with >85yo! 

It's a hard case to make that there is any disadvantage from having a rapid initial roll-out.

There remains a major concern however that they won't be able to do 2nd Doses in a timely manner. There is not an infinite window to do these in order to fully vaccinate people and the planning needs to be good.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's a hard case to make that there is any disadvantage from having a rapid initial roll-out.

There remains a major concern however that they won't be able to do 2nd Doses in a timely manner. There is not an infinite window to do these in order to fully vaccinate people and the planning needs to be good.

I don't think there is any real concern of them not having enough doses for end of March/April ( when the majority of second doses are going to be starting)

Edited by zahidf