When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Given that they've successfully pulled off the nations league/Euro playoffs and the champions and europa leagues in addition to domestic competitions, I have little doubt that the Euros will be played this summer. The 24 teams will probably be individually self-contained in biosecure bubbles like what's happening with the six nations and capacity limits will probably vary depending on local rules.

IMO, they should move it all to the UK. We are one of the few countries with the infrastructure to host a major football competition at the drop of a hat. There are currently 12 venues for the tournament, each with capacity of 30,000 or more. We could achieve this by using:

1. Wembley

2. Tottenham stadium

3. Old Trafford

4. Etihad Stadium

5. Anfield

6. Goodison Park

7. St James's Park

8. Stadium of Light

9. Villa Park

10. King Power Stadium

11. Hillsborough Park

12. Elland Road

Furthermore given case numbers in the UK compared to European countries and the speed of our vaccine programme, playing it in the UK maximises the chance of fans being allowed in.

If they're not having fans in, games don't need impressive stadiums so could happen in any country.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Given that they've successfully pulled off the nations league/Euro playoffs and the champions and europa leagues in addition to domestic competitions, I have little doubt that the Euros will be played this summer. The 24 teams will probably be individually self-contained in biosecure bubbles like what's happening with the six nations and capacity limits will probably vary depending on local rules.

IMO, they should move it all to the UK. We are one of the few countries with the infrastructure to host a major football competition at the drop of a hat. There are currently 12 venues for the tournament, each with capacity of 30,000 or more. We could achieve this by using:

1. Wembley

2. Tottenham stadium

3. Old Trafford

4. Etihad Stadium

5. Anfield

6. Goodison Park

7. St James's Park

8. Stadium of Light

9. Villa Park

10. King Power Stadium

11. Hillsborough Park

12. Elland Road

Furthermore given case numbers in the UK compared to European countries and the speed of our vaccine programme, playing it in the UK maximises the chance of fans being allowed in.

Why not the emirates and London stadium surely they will be used 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

If the vaccine rollout continues and it’s safe, I think people in this country would be keen to attend? It could have an Olympics feel.

The issue would be what to do about people who have booked tickets already e.g. to the final.

It would be a massive festival of sorts. Pubs will be brimming, the whole economy will be turbo boosted just like the last WC. 

What a great year that was. Remember walking around the town centre after England beat Colombia and everyone was sing on the streets. Can see that happening again.

Ive always said, that if we're on track, everyone will have one jab by the end of June with all high risk having their second jab. I don't see why at that point all restrictions are lifted like in NZ (Just international restrictions. Everyone who is at risk is at the highest level of protection, those who aren't at risk will be getting booster via 1st dose.

If that is the case, we should have full stadiums 

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The games are exceedingly likely to go ahead as planned, unless UEFA decide to move the players into a bubble in just one county.

Whether the games will have crowds is something else. They're perhaps slightly too soon for that.

I guess it gives more chance of there being crowds at some games by keeping it as it is, with different countries having different rules. No real reason we can't go back to the 10% or whatever it was in November and December by the time summer comes around, and same for some other countries 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say that finishes the chance of gigs until next year, too.

Without crowded outdoor events happening there is no chance of crowded indoor events happening.

Chris Whitty has already said he expects some restrictions to come back in for autumn 2021 ahead of a possible 3rd wave (although history suggests this won't be as bad).

So if we're only just getting back to full scale hospitality in August as you say that's at least mass indoor events off until 2022.

Which probably means Glastonbury will be in a similar position of having to make a decision in January 2022 with the country in some form of restrictions (tier 2?) and not being 100% sure it will be allowed to go ahead. 😕

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think an event like that would still need large stadiums to accommodate the media, and to look professional

Sure, but every major European country has enough suitable stadiums for that.

I was rebutting the idea that only the UK is suitable for a tournament within one country. That's not even true if there's fans in.

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Chris Whitty has already said he expects some restrictions to come back in for autumn 2021 ahead of a possible 3rd wave (although history suggests this won't be as bad).

So if we're only just getting back to full scale hospitality in August as you say that's at least mass indoor events off until 2022.

Which probably means Glastonbury will be in a similar position of having to make a decision in January 2022 with the country in some form of restrictions (tier 2?) and not being 100% sure it will be allowed to go ahead. 😕

Actually, Whitty's words give hope.

Cos if restrictions are coming back in for next winter it means restrictions will have ended before next winter.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Reports of a time scale of between May and August for hospitality opening.

If indoor hospitality isn't open until August that surely finishes any chance of a festival season this year.

I can't believe it's realistic that it'll be August until indoor household mixing and hospitality are allowed. By the end of March half the population will have had their first dose. Can't see the justification for then waiting another 4 months to allow people to meet indoors. 

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

The rates dropped to very very low levels over June/July/Aug last year, so why would we need any harsher restrictions than we had then? Surely that’s the benchmark? And that would be even before the impact of vaccines. 

Agree 100%.

For those who would reply to this “but look what happened September onwards” we didn’t have vaccines last year so you literally can’t compare.

28 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

This utterly baffles me. Genuine question, Can anyone explain why we will need restrictions in August?

Per the department of health and social care - 99% of deaths are attributable to groups 1-9. These groups will have had their 2nd dose well before August and therefore have approx. 95% efficacy by autumn. 

The other 1% are from 18-49 years of age. These groups will also will have had their 1st dose and a good portion of them will have had their second dose. So this group will be protected.

Research has shown that transmission decreases with the vaccine.

By Autumn we will also know of better ways to treat (there some treatments already in phase 3 trials) so we can reduce hospitalisations and deaths further.

So what are we protecting people from with restrictions in the autumn? If everyone is vaccinated and we still need restrictions are we saying that restrictions are the new normal with these coming into effect each year?

17 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I can't believe it's realistic that it'll be August until indoor household mixing and hospitality are allowed. By the end of March half the population will have had their first dose. Can't see the justification for then waiting another 4 months to allow people to meet indoors. 

I can’t get my head around it either.

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

The rates dropped to very very low levels over June/July/Aug last year, so why would we need any harsher restrictions than we had then? Surely that’s the benchmark? And that would be even before the impact of vaccines. 

Yeah, don’t understand it all. Can’t see any reason why things would be worse this summer, unless I’m missing something. We were in single digit deaths some days last summer. Cases only started increasing again in September.

18 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I think the majority of people are now looking at the next 6 months in this way.

I think there will be a big shift in mood over the next few weeks from cautious to “let us get on with it”

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

I agree. I think the caveat is we are probably going to be opening up with cases at a higher level then they were after the first wave. Probably about 3k per day by 8th march. Which could mean even with vaccines we only get to last summer's level, not sure how likely that is though. 

Also last summer whilst free wasn't anywhere near normal.  

But I'm hopeful for at least more events and maybe a gig or two.

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

This utterly baffles me. Genuine question, Can anyone explain why we will need restrictions in August?

Per the department of health and social care - 99% of deaths are attributable to groups 1-9. These groups will have had their 2nd dose well before August and therefore have approx. 95% efficacy by autumn. 

The other 1% are from 18-49 years of age. These groups will also will have had their 1st dose and a good portion of them will have had their second dose. So this group will be protected.

Research has shown that transmission decreases with the vaccine.

By Autumn we will also know of better ways to treat (there some treatments already in phase 3 trials) so we can reduce hospitalisations and deaths further.

So what are we protecting people from with restrictions in the autumn? If everyone is vaccinated and we still need restrictions are we saying that restrictions are the new normal with these coming into effect each year?

14 minutes ago, st dan said:

All I can think is that if schools reopening really do push R over 1, then cases won't get anywhere that low. And if there are any issues with vaccine roll out, then there could still be a fair few million not vaccinated.

Still feels like we should have a better grip on it by then. I suppose these are all scenarios and August is still quite a while away in pandemic time.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Agree 100%.

For those who would reply to this “but look what happened September onwards” we didn’t have vaccines last year so you literally can’t compare.

Could it be the Tories/Boris changing tack from last year and under promising. Boris loves to be loved and reducing the restrictions to let families visit each other will give him another bounce/success story to shout about?

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think the logic is something like as follows:

Whilst most deaths are in over 75s your 50-75 make up half of hospital admissions. Which still leads to a significant burden on healthcare if R gets too high too quickly.

So even if all over 50s are vaccinated by May they won't actually have full protection until June (28 days later). 

Then it'll take until July to be sure that transmission and case rates are still low as a result of vaccination.

Tie that in to a possible increase or stagnation in case numbers (r=1) due to schools, shops, hospitality, opening before full population protection of those most at risk of hospitalisation. 

Leads to significant restrictions such as on social distancing and freely mixing until August.

Personally I'm hoping this is all downplaying the situation and we'll be significantly better by June.

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I agree. I think the caveat is we are probably going to be opening up with cases at a higher level then they were after the first wave. Probably about 3k per day by 8th march. Which could mean even with vaccines we only get to last summer's level, not sure how likely that is though. 

Also last summer whilst free wasn't anywhere near normal.  

But I'm hopeful for at least more events and maybe a gig or two.

Big old upvote.

Those reports are saying that the worst case scenario, it looks like they'll be different options depending on the pandemic spans out. If everything goes well with more areas being opened back up then they'll continue and other areas will be continue to be opened up. That's why they'll do it in stages, they can't open everything and household mixing as they don't know the effects. That;'s the big thing, they'll go slowly because they don't know how it will span out.