When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Have seen it opined that the social distancing measures in place make proper training pretty impossible to the point that teams are having to employ very vanilla tactics, leading to a drop in quality. 

Must suit Aston Vanilla at least (I'll get my coat..)

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I've no idea what lit's like where you live but to suggest in the summer people were adhering fully to social distancing is bonkers. 99.9% of people have broken the rules and that will only get more lax with more vaccines

Loads of people were adhering to the social distancing measures over summer. As I said at the time, the problem is, they're staying at home so you don't see them. Pubs were running at 50% capacity and yet most were not full. Where were the all the other people that would usually be at the pub at that time? At home, following the rules.

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Are they though? We’re talking by the time over 50s and all those with underlying health conditions have been vaccinated. How many people who fall outside the category are actually ‘scared’ of getting Covid? 

Not trying to be funny here, it’s a genuine question. If I were to have a party on 1st June, I would expect that all my friends would attend (obviously not talking about the risk of passing this on to family etc) even though they won’t be vaccinated. 

It's an interesting question - I'm in the "scared" category to a degree. But party it's not just risk, it's cost/benefit. I've not been to pubs, gigs, etc in a year, I can wait two more months and then get vaccinated and know I'm safe, rather than risking it.

The house party question is more interesting. We will absolutely be having friends round, but only friends that are in the same boat as us. We did the same over summer too. We had friends that were not going out to pubs and working from home and we had them round. We had friends that were being more social and eating out to help out and we didn't have them round.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Yeah I think they'll be a percentage of scared people but I dont think it'd be that high. Most people I know won't be following social distancing post jab

I think pre-jab and post-jab are different things. I'm mostly arguing pre-first jab here.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Loads of people were adhering to the social distancing measures over summer. As I said at the time, the problem is, they're staying at home so you don't see them. Pubs were running at 50% capacity and yet most were not full. Where were the all the other people that would usually be at the pub at that time? At home, following the rules.

Loads of people were. And loads of people weren't. 

I don't necessarily think the reason pubs weren't full was cause people were desperate to avoid them cause of the rules or being scared, but also to do with the fact you had to book, it was a bit of a pain and no spontaneity to it and they just generally werent as good as normal.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's an interesting question - I'm in the "scared" category to a degree. But party it's not just risk, it's cost/benefit. I've not been to pubs, gigs, etc in a year, I can wait two more months and then get vaccinated and know I'm safe, rather than risking it.

This is pretty much where I am, though when it was red hot and the cases were low the outside beer gardens in the daytime before it got too busy didn't seem like much of a risk, so will probably do that again. No chance am I doing anything indoors until vaccination though

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, PM87 said:

On a personal and therefore selfish level, social distancing until the Autumn will be disastrous for my industry and many others. The West End theatre where I work has been closed since March 17th. We are unable to reopen, as are many of the West End theatres, with social distancing still in place. The show that we produce is so expensive that unless we are at high levels of capacity, we do not make a profit (in non Covid times we sell out 8 shows a week, almost always to a full house). There is also the challenge of old listed buildings not being the easiest buildings to reconfigure in terms of layout to make social distancing easier. The orchestra are unable to social distance in the pit. It is impossible for the cast to social distance on stage due to the nature of the show. The Producers have been very clear from the start of this that we have no choice but to wait until the social distancing rules are eased until we can reopen. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Yep, but the government won’t want to risk half empty pubs with no furlough scheme in place, as that will lead to mass closures and then more they will need support from the benefit system. 

These are both good points but sort of highlight what I'm trying to get at. Yes, if you have social distancing you might have half empty pubs and theatres because of capacity restrictions. The problem is if you *don't* have social distancing, you might also get half empty pubs and theatres because large portions of the public haven't been vaccinated and so won't go out.

Just dropping the restrictions isn't enough. You need to make people feel confident and comfortable actually going out again - this was what Eat Out To Help Out was all about, I'm not just making this up. Pubs might cope, but yeah West End theatres will struggle to cope with even a 10-20% drop in demand, and I'm just talking about the drop off from people being told "stay indoors" to "it's okay to go into a 2000-seater theatre and sit next to strangers" over the course of one or two months. The West End will also have to deal with the lack of any international tourism and the lack of business people staying in the city overnight.

For many of those industries, being kept closed (and supported with furlough) until everyone is jabbed may well be better than being allowed to open with no restrictions to a public that are still unsure.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also @DeanoL, you're admitting to breaking the rules while having a go at people going to pubs even though that was within the rules. It makes no sense.

Which rules did I break?

And I'm not having a go at anyone, there wasn't anything wrong with going to the pub in summer, I just felt it was too risky for me (and given how the case numbers went, I was probably right!) - I'm just trying to say that clearly not everyone who normally went to the pub was going in summer, which suggests that not everyone will go right back to the pubs as soon as they open again.

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Loads of people were. And loads of people weren't. 

I don't necessarily think the reason pubs weren't full was cause people were desperate to avoid them cause of the rules or being scared, but also to do with the fact you had to book, it was a bit of a pain and no spontaneity to it and they just generally werent as good as normal.

I agree, when I tend to go to two or three pubs in an evening with a couple of mates we tend to stand near/at the bar and the whole table thing and ordering drinks etc got a bit too irritating especially when the staff were busy and also trying to sign people in/sanitise and serve meals.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Which rules did I break?

And I'm not having a go at anyone, there wasn't anything wrong with going to the pub in summer, I just felt it was too risky for me (and given how the case numbers went, I was probably right!) - I'm just trying to say that clearly not everyone who normally went to the pub was going in summer, which suggests that not everyone will go right back to the pubs as soon as they open again.

You said you had friends round several times in the summer, maybe I'm mis remembering the rules, apologies if so.

I just don't think you can attribute rising cases purely to pubs and not to mingling with other households in your own home as you have done. 

Ahem....you can now go on the NHS Website and book a vaccination at your nearest centre (if you live close enough to a decent-sized town) for all over 65s.

NHS - Book Your Coronavirus Vaccination

Just booked my (68-year-old) Mum in for Brighton Centre tomorrow, one day before her 69th birthday.

Whole process took about 10 minutes. It says on the site only aged 70 or over but will allow from 65 year old and over.

Enjoy your weekend!

Edited by Mellotr0n

6 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Ahem....you can now go on the NHS Website and book a vaccination at your nearest centre (if you live close enough to a decent-sized town) for all over 65s.

Just booked my (68-year-old) Mum in for Brighton Centre tomorrow, one day before her 69th birthday.

Whole process took about 10 minutes. It says on the site only aged 70 or over but will allow from 65 year old and over.

Enjoy your weekend!

Top work for sharing mate!

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You said you had friends round several times in the summer, maybe I'm mis remembering the rules, apologies if so.

I just don't think you can attribute rising cases purely to pubs and not to mingling with other households in your own home as you have done. 

Was rule of 6 at that point for a few months except in some cities.

But like I say I'm not trying to criticise anyone or blame transmission on one thing or another - I'm just saying what our friendship group did during that time - which was work from home, stay in, and see each other. That's probably what we'll do again when things start to open up again. We were surely not the only ones, and you never saw us breaking the rules in a pub or whatever because we weren't there. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah its a tough one - there are huge numbers of us who wouldn't even consider going to a lower league game instead but the only alternative is giving United and Liverpool a permanent huge advantage by only letting clubs sell the games through a membership scheme.

Its more that people stop going to lower league to watch premier League dross at home on the idiot box 

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Quarantine hotel website has now been down for more than 24 hours.

Reminder: Quarantine hotels start on Monday morning.

Thoughts on this being operational for Monday? 

This is leaving it tight for time, especially if they expect anyone to actually rebook their travel plans to fit into the 4 airports they have selected.

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Thoughts on this being operational for Monday? 

This is leaving it tight for time, especially if they expect anyone to actually rebook their travel plans to fit into the 4 airports they have selected.

Will be a bit like Johnson's hair. 

It exists but it's a shambolic mess.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Think it would massively affect non-league football if people could watch PL games on TV at 3pm on Saturday once this is over. But I don't think anyone who is a supporter of a Football League club would decide not to go and watch their team because Burnley vs Southampton was on Sky Sports.

Current fans no, but youngsters possibly.

33 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You were allowed upto 6 people in your own home last summer. 

I had friends round my house for the FA Cup final in August!

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

You were allowed upto 6 people in your own home last summer. 

I had friends round my house for the FA Cup final in August!

Yeah but with 2m distancing etc which was pretty difficult to stick to (I imagine anyone who had people round just ignored that part). It's why we didn't bother although I regret that now.

51 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Enjoy your weekend!

How did you figure this out?!

Booked my mum in for tomorrow also. Thanks

4 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Yeah but with 2m distancing etc which was pretty difficult to stick to (I imagine anyone who had people round just ignored that part). It's why we didn't bother although I regret that now.

I had only had three friends round....but yeh 2m distancing was a struggle I must admit.