When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

And most of that 25% will have underlying health conditions and therefore be on the priority list.

Or dont know they have any sort of underlying condition that covid could attack. Just like my brother in laws best friend, my brother in law went to his funeral on Monday, he died due to Covid. My brother in law and his friends partner are absolutely devastated. 

He was 38 with no underlying conditions that he knew of, as far as he was concerned he was fit and healthy, like a lot of us would assume we are. 

He was rushed into hospital on a Monday night, by the Wednesday morning he'd passed away. 

7 minutes ago, swede said:

Or dont know they have any sort of underlying condition that covid could attack. Just like my brother in laws best friend, my brother in law went to his funeral on Monday, he died due to Covid. My brother in law and his friends partner are absolutely devastated. 

He was 38 with no underlying conditions that he knew of, as far as he was concerned he was fit and healthy, like a lot of us would assume we are. 

He was rushed into hospital on a Monday night, by the Wednesday morning he'd passed away. 

Christ that’s horrendous stuff, sorry to hear that 😞 

I get why we’re all doing this and I know the rules are necessary etc etc etc - but something about this makes me feel very uncomfortable and the times we are living in.
A mother going for a walk on a beach with young daughter after work one a lovely winters evening is now worthy of a police caution and a fine (which I see has now been overturned). 

Just now, st dan said:

I get why we’re all doing this and I know the rules are necessary etc etc etc - but something about this makes me feel very uncomfortable and the times we are living in.
A mother going for a walk on a beach with young daughter after work one a lovely winters evening is now worthy of a police caution and a fine (which I see has now been overturned). 

Some of the police are always going to be jobsworths

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

In all due respect any of us can search Twitter to find people that agree with our view, it doesn’t confirm or disprove anything. 

Lollll I know that's what some of do....

Don't you post opinion tweets from bastani, schnedier e.t.c when they say something you agree with?

40 minutes ago, swede said:

That's the scary side of all this, the not knowing! Very sad for your brother in law and the friends and family, shocker.

The other thing I don’t get is why do people who are going to break the rules (in their own words) get so angry when Scientists/Government Officials say restrictions will have to be in place for some time? Surely if you are going to break the rules anyway it doesn’t matter?

Edited by Ozanne

8 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

But ice baths are good for the muscles. This country needs some muscle so it can be strong and care for its people. In Starmer's bathtub, we'll just sit in there doing fuck all, our skin shrivelling up. Meanwhile the babies sticking a spoon in the socket but hey "at least i'm alright, who cares about anyone else?". Anyway, stop using this horseshoe theory nonsense. A far left labour is absolutely not the same as tory scum.

image.thumb.png.d10f0f07f089df45cc4ca721004264d8.png

Agree, also a lot of Corbyn era labour policies were actually popular in polling, and in line with the public's belief's- it's not the 90s anymore, something even Biden has realised, labour can embrace policies that it couldn't in the 90s. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The other thing I don’t get is why do people who are going to break the rules (in their own words) get so angry when Scientists/Government Officials say restrictions will have to be in place for some time? Surely if you are going to break the rules anyway it doesn’t matter?

I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive.

Being angry due to scientists more or less saying life will never be back to normal is different to looking logically at the current situation and saying you are using your own perception of risk rather than the set of rules / guidelines from the government.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I don't get this either. If you've decided you're going to do what you like after a certain point then why the need to make sure everyone knows about it? Just crack on. As @Memory Man says above, you're only reallt going to be able to see your friends and family at home anyway if things are closed.

I feel like there's a lot of hysteria at the moment about every single news story on the restrictions. We don't know yet so let's see what gets said on the 22nd and stop finding reasons to panic/get angry/fight about it.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

People would rather their actions aren't illegal. But they're so set on seeing their family when they consider it to be safe, they will do it even if that means breaking the rules. They're not into rule breaking, they're into seeing their family. Seems pretty easy to understand to me.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Because telling fully vaccinated people (when we need as many people as possible to get vaccinated) that they still aren't allowed to get close to their loved ones at this stage is stupid and counter productive.

I'd rather not break the rules but I'm not following stupid ones 

If the government are going to keep social distancing guidelines until autumn/winter, even if everyone has been offered the chance of a vaccine, they will really need to do a good job of explaining why or they will lose people too soon, before it becomes safe. 

I’d say if everyone has been offered a vaccine, but some people reject that chance, and they still keep things like sports, funerals, weddings socially distant, people will not be with them 

20 minutes ago, st dan said:

I don't see what relevance the gender or parenting status or local weather conditions of this case have to do with anything.

The police have messed up as they should have use discretion. 9 miles is still within a reasonable definition of local after all.

But is this indicative of a pattern of behaviour or just a one-off. It's so anecdotal - we have no way of knowing.

And the fact they have rescinded it shows that in fact the system has worked in this case.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Agree, also a lot of Corbyn era labour policies were actually popular in polling, and in line with the public's belief's- it's not the 90s anymore, something even Biden has realised, labour can embrace policies that it couldn't in the 90s. 

The tories are mopping all that up...state spending, levelling up, wave the flag, proud of our forces etc etc.

8 hours ago, aj6658 said:

My thoughts (Data from NYT) https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/04/world/europe/covid-vaccine-uk-rate.html

• At the current rate everyone over 50+ and those under 65 at risk will have had jab 1 by March
  • Everyone will have their first jab by the end of June. The majority of those who are at risk will have their second jab.
  • The vaccine has shown to prevent serious illness if I remember correctly. So that means a tiny % of people will get hospitalised.  Think the data from Israel show that 97% of people dying from the virus haven't been vaccinated 
  • People under 30 have been shown to be mostly unaffected if you don't have any underlying conditions so having one dose of the vaccine would be more than plenty.  
  • So by the end of June we would have achieved herd immunity + sig risk groups have had 2nd jab and the rest one jab

If the above timetable is met we should be looking at no restrictions at the very latest by July ( by the time every one has had their first dose, you can cut the waiting time for second dose back to 3 weeks).  Frankly, you should be restriction free far earlier in May because we will have achieved herd immunity and the remaining population are resilient to the virus. 

If this timetable can be kept then there's no excuse for restrictions. 

What you're overlooking is the emergence of other variants. Say the UK sticks to that timetable, and most people have a vaccine that turns out to be rubbish against, say, the variant first identified in South Africa. We do away with restrictions, and the South African Variant starts to take off- we're essentially back to March 2020.

That's why we need to wait for the data to emerge regarding serious illness and vaccine effectiveness vs variants

Edited by Mr.Tease

Just did y randomly selected test. Was fairy unpleasant so confident I've got a decent sample.

Most random question on the survey was whether or not a sudden payment of £850 would be devastating to my finances (was after questions about sick pay, so I guess related to asking people to self-isolate, etc).