When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I agree. That's why government are being so cautious in promising what will happen and when. Fuck it up and we and they are really in deep shit. Over promising leads to an expectation which if not fulfilled will taint this government for the future. It's understandable people getting pissed off with politicians being vague and narked by experts giving correct scientific assessments because neither give them what they want: their life as it was back. The world however has moved on. The world is in constant change.

What’s your hospital like at the moment?

I don't really get why everyone (generally) is flying off the handle about foreign holidays currently. I would happily not go abroad for the next year if the trade-off was that we could do go to the pub/gym/small gigs instead. That would have a far greater positive impact on my day to day life.

Just now, Homer said:

I don't really get why everyone (generally) is flying off the handle about foreign holidays currently. I would happily not go abroad for the next year if the trade-off was that we could do go to the pub/gym/small gigs instead. That would have a far greater positive impact on my day to day life.

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. Summers here have been incredibly warm recently and the only reason I can see for going abroad at the moment is for sun - most tourist venues (museums etc) will be closed or limited. Plenty of lovely places to go in the UK!

10 hours ago, mcshed said:

It does make me happier, whilst there are plenty of reasons to have misgivings about the motivations of both government and pharmaceutical companies the genuinely heroic efforts to get these vaccines ready so quickly is not the thread to pull at.

I'm as close to certain as one can be that you will be able to do all 3 of those things before 31st January 2023. I'd be surprised if you can't do them this year. 

1. Lockdowns will end soon, I suspect you'll be allowed to do that by Easter.

2. Whilst I think vaccine passports for international travel seem inevitable I'd be surprised if they introduced proof of vaccine for pubs. If they do introduce them it'd be a temporary thing as it would be deeply unpopular.

3. When the focus was on fomite transmission at the start of this and shops reopening was a novelty it was hard to spend cash, but that really didn't last. Most shops will take cash, saying no to money just isn't good business.  As soon as pubs are allowed to reopen I'm sure you'll find some that take cash. 

I'm happy to bet you £50 to a charity of the winner's choice that you can do all three by Jan 31st 2023.

No need to make a bet, who knows where we will be in two years, I was just wanting to set a method of agreeing whether we had returned to "normal", Since you agree that's a fair test we will just see who is right, hopefully you!

21 minutes ago, Homer said:

I want both 😄 The vaccine either works or it doesn't. I think it will and we can get back to normal... 

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not everyone that wants to go abroad is going for a holiday, plenty of people have family abroad they haven’t seen for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Not everyone that wants to go abroad is going for a holiday, plenty of people have family abroad they haven’t seen for a long time. 

Yep. I live abroad and, along with many other immigrants, to not be allowed to travel is not to be able to see family and friends.

8 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

Yeah, I said 'foreign holidays' (wife currently hoping she can get back to NZ by Nov/Dec to see her fam).

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think we should stick to things that don't require a great deal of sacrifice on our part (standing a bit further apart, wearing masks where required).

I think those things will be around for a little bit longer but that’s ok as you say they don’t require a great deal on our part.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think we should stick to things that don't require a great deal of sacrifice on our part (standing a bit further apart, wearing masks where required).

Yeah, I'm not going to be a knob about it, but there has to be an end, this doom talk of years and years of lockdowns can't happen.  Hopefully vaccines and drugs will sort us out (and that seems the most likely outcome at this point).  However, at some point we draw a line in the sand and move on to plan B though.

1 minute ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Yeah, I'm not going to be a knob about it, but there has to be an end, this doom talk of years and years of lockdowns can't happen.  Hopefully vaccines and drugs will sort us out (and that seems the most likely outcome at this point).  However, at some point we draw a line in the sand and move on to plan B though.

We should get the start of that on Feb 22nd when they announce their roadmap. I presume it’ll be slow but by Easter we should see some restrictions loosening and all things being well that continues in a gradual way as the months go on. 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is what we need - something that works before you go into ICU 

35 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. Summers here have been incredibly warm recently and the only reason I can see for going abroad at the moment is for sun - most tourist venues (museums etc) will be closed or limited. Plenty of lovely places to go in the UK!

The interesting thing is that in most places people go for the sun people need to wear masks when out in it anyway. You've actually got more chance (currently) of getting the sun on your face here, though that could obviously change