When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Ozanne said:

This is an interesting dialogue. It's questionable to book a holiday during a pandemic but then again at the same time the government did say back to normal by Easter etc.

Perhaps people are prepared to take the risk? I've got some flights booked for a holiday I might go on or not go on irrespective of Covid (squaring it with the Mrs is the bigger challenge) they were so cheap if it was a risk I was prepared to take.

Government soundbites aren't a substitute for using your own brain and making your own decision. 

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Asking questions to produce the illusion of a debate when there isn't one is exactly the problem with anti-vaxxers. Drug development absolutely has risks which is why bodies like the MHRA, the FDA and the EMA exist they have more expertise than you and are way more rigorous than you. 

"which is why bodies like the MHRA, the FDA and the EMA exist they have more expertise than you and are way more rigorous than you."

I would hope so too, given my poor "A" level chemistry results.

FDA - is this the same FDA my mate Bill Gates isn't happy with?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/bill-gates-distrust-cdc-fda-covid-19-vaccine-coronavirus-b447914.html

You don't seem to understand the very basis of science is the need for challenge and scrutiny, if the argument is sound it will stand up to criticism, if these vaccines are good they will be proven in time, questioning, even if done in bad faith will still help to advance the truth.

5 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Perhaps people are prepared to take the risk? I've got some flights booked for a holiday I might go on or not go on irrespective of Covid (squaring it with the Mrs is the bigger challenge) they were so cheap if it was a risk I was prepared to take.

Government soundbites aren't a substitute for using your own brain and making your own decision. 

yeah, fuck it...I'm off.

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is an interesting dialogue. It's questionable to book a holiday during a pandemic but then again at the same time the government did say back to normal by Easter etc.

I booked a UK staycation in May last night. Airbnb though which offers free cancellation if it goes tits up. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Hard to side with the journalist who can't distinguish between "you're" and "your" in his tweets.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hard to side with the journalist who can't distinguish between "you're" and "your" in his tweets.

Think that's a bit harsh, I'm sure we've all slipped up now and then, I certainly have and I'm a bit of a grammar nazi! There's a certain owner of this site who's taken to using "of" instead of "have" but I've managed to restrain myself from mentioning it. (until now).

5 hours ago, PM87 said:

Thanks. I'm sure I'm overthinking it and it will be absolutely fine. I will definitely be taking the vaccine when my time comes. 

Which trial are you taking part in? 

Janssen two shot trial. Only had one so far, and of course if might have been the placebo.

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Think that's a bit harsh, I'm sure we've all slipped up now and then, I certainly have and I'm a bit of a grammar nazi! There's a certain owner of this site who's taken to using "of" instead of "have" but I've managed to restrain myself from mentioning it. (until now).

Twice recently I've found that I have written about days of the week as something like: "on Tuesday's and Wednesday's".

Once was in a work email that I'd already pressed send on. 

What the hell is that about???

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, fuck it...I'm off.

£75 quid return to Ibiza over the clockwork orange weekend, and my mates 40th. Same flights two years ago cost us £240 each. 

Was worth the gamble it would be a goer, while fully expecting it isn't happening. 

Will always be others years. 

14 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's literally his job to write words (and he's one of the top 5 journalists in the country)!

4 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

No worries! If it helps, I'm happy to keep posting stuff! 22nd June 2022...you know where I'll be! 

You are on, guessing you got tickets rolled over, we have too.😁 It's the only think keeping me sane right now. Covid got us recently at home via my wife's nursery and it kicked my arse. No hospital luckily but still not a good experience. 

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Exactly hence why we are planning an extended trip to Goa for November, fully refundable/rescheduled if need be and it's a great price.. worth the risk IMO

On 2/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, PM87 said:

Potentially silly question, but I was just reading about how France have avoided a third full lockdown (though I know it's on the table still) so schools and shops are open and have been for months, despite hospitality being closed. Yesterday they reported 4,317 new cases and 458 deaths. How have they managed to avoid the huge number of infections and deaths we have had in recent weeks? Is it by keeping us out? Are they testing as much as we are? It's my understanding that there was some mixing permitted over Christmas in Europe, though perhaps I'm wrong about that. Things just seem so much worse in the UK. Obviously, I'm well aware it's been a consistent shit show and we can all point to the many reasons why we're in the situation we are in, combined with the new variant etc. I guess I'm just curious about how many tests we're carrying out in comparison to other countries close by. Do we all report deaths in the same way? 

Edit: Obviously, 458 is still not 'good' and is 458 too many but they don't seem to have reached weeks in the 1000s like we have this winter. 

Whilst not in lockdown they have closed their borders and closed large shopping centres. If I want to go to France from Luxembourg  I need a good reason and a false test, if they want to come to Luxembourg they need nothing, hence why our local shopping centre was about 1/3 full of french cars at the weekend. The french plod are out in force pulling over Luxembourg cars, fining them, then sending them home. The french are bringing covid here to lux or taking it back with them🙄🙄🙄