When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Socially distanced gigs, surely, but normal ones like these not a chance sadly, which is sad as with testing I believe they could be safe enough.

By the end of the Summer, there's hope for these though.

Yeah I expect socially distanced gigs to be a thing again by then as they were even going on in summer/autumn last year in a few places. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

This could be where the talk of "unviable jobs" in the arts came from. 

Sad thing is international travel will open up way before live music comes back, if it does come back. 

Again, just some eggheads opinion

People aren't going to be socially distancing post vaccination.

Sad thing is international travel will open up way before live music comes back, if it does come back. 

The only answer this Summer is surely the availability of cheap (subsidised), quick tests that generate a QR code.

Going to an arts event?

Pop to Boots in the afternoon beforehand.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Seeing as the 'eggheads' have saved us from a much, much worse fate (imagine no vaccines or no way of understanding how to control the spread),  I think they deserve a bit more respect than to be called that.

These sort of statements from scientists really annoy me. They say these headline grabbing statements without qualifying what might have to be done long term. It could range from not shaking hands or having to wear a mask on public transport to being in lockdown forever or having permanent social distancing. I think it’s pretty reprehensible tbh

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The only answer this Summer is surely the availability of cheap (subsidised), quick tests that generate a QR code.

Going to an arts event?

Pop to Boots in the afternoon beforehand.

The masses will be crying about being tracked on social media but if it happens that you need a clear test to visit a pub then those same people will be the first in the queue. 

5 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

These sort of statements from scientists really annoy me. They say these headline grabbing statements without qualifying what might have to be done long term. It could range from not shaking hands or having to wear a mask on public transport to being in lockdown forever or having permanent social distancing. I think it’s pretty reprehensible tbh

Yeah, and the posts saying 'Oh, live music is never coming back now' based on one interview saying what we may have to amend things going forward

But its a political decision at the end of the day. And i don't think if places like the US and Europe find a way to let crowds gather, that us in the UK will go alone in not doing so

Edited by zahidf

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Seeing as the 'eggheads' have saved us from a much, much worse fate (imagine no vaccines or no way of understanding how to control the spread),  I think they deserve a bit more respect than to be called that.

its a bit jokey on my part ot call them eggheads. But i think doommongering about long term restrictions post vaccinations is counter-productive. they need as many people vaccinated as possible really

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

People aren't going to be socially distancing post vaccination 

Maybe not in social settings, but he clearly means not cramming lots of people into one place anymore. The government doesn't care about these things anyway and have shown they're happy to take hits to the economy for ideology. And this is the government more likely to disregard the scientists

Any potential replacement government will be a lot more humanitarian and listen to scientists without question if they say this sort of thing  

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Travel firms pushing for vaccine passports instead of quarantine 

It doesn't stop transmission of that new variant ffs, such a short term measure. And if it did then its pure theatre to help with people's "feelings" of still being scared when they've been vaccinated themselves. 

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

How come it’s ‘just some eggheads opinion’ when it’s an opinion you don’t like but not when it’s one of the many you share?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

How come it’s ‘just some eggheads opinion’ when it’s an opinion you don’t like but not when it’s one of the many you share?

I think we're all culpable of doing this at the moment and I include myself in that.

The same could be said about the polling surveys which are published. Some people will only post them if they suit their given ideology / narrative.

This is life, let's move on.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

its a bit jokey on my part ot call them eggheads. But i think doommongering about long term restrictions post vaccinations is counter-productive. they need as many people vaccinated as possible really

I appreciate that but when you use it in conjunction with a criticism, it feels a bit mean. They're just doing their best and they are not self-serving like politicians and haven't sought out the limelight.

Scientists are not perfect but without them we'd be completely screwed. 

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I think we're all culpable of doing this at the moment and I include myself in that.

The same could be said about the polling surveys which are published. Some people will only post them if they suit their given ideology / narrative.

This is life, let's move on.

I don’t care about it being posted just wondered about the use of the phrasing eggheads for people he doesn’t agree with.

19 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Agreed. They need to stop going on TV for self gratification and self promotion, stating countless "coulds" possibles" & "maybes". The virus may die off... we may get invaded by aliens.... we may get ran over by a bus.... but we dont have "scientists" trying to get their face on on TV telling us. Let's stick to things they know for sure and stop the speculating... 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I don’t care about it being posted just wondered about the use of the phrasing eggheads for people he doesn’t agree with.

People have opinions.... people disagree... people express frustration in various ways.... people are condescending....  In other news snow is white. 

Just now, Havors said:

Agreed. They need to stop going on TV for self gratification and self promotion, stating countless "coulds" possibles" & "maybes". The virus may die off... we may get invaded by aliens.... we may get ran over by a bus.... but we dont have "scientists" trying to get their face on on TV telling us. Let's stick to things they know for sure and stop the speculating... 

Yeah, it’s an area they have dedicated their lives to, so it’s understandable that they want to keep it the main focus and I think some of them are just enjoying their time in the limelight so to speak. But to the person on the street, we’ll get vaccinated, deaths will decrease and we’ll all move on with our lives.