When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Omg it isn't about putting you at risk you self-centred fool. What about the people in Australia who have little covid prevalence at the moment?

I spent 2 weeks on arrival in Australia in a quarantine hotel and was tested twice during that time. The whole point of those measures is to mitigate the risk to Australians. 

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

Yes having proper quarantine on all arrivals and discouraging travel, is effectively an 'almost closure of airports'. 

U-turn alert! 

No thats not what you meant, as we then went on to discuss support for airports being closed, airlines going bankrupt and support needed for the industry as its closed down... 🤡

5 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yes it is what they are trying to do, hence not sure why I receive the sarcastic bullshit replies. 

We're not going to get to zero covid. For us to get to zero covid, means the whole world needs to get to zero covid. Based on our lack of success in wiping out any other virus in the history of mankind (I think Smallpox is the only one we've nearly managed to), that simply ain't gonna happen. Australia and New Zealand may be zero covid now, but that's because they have effectively closed their borders and implemented a 2 week quarantine for all arrivals. That is unsustainable in the long term and when they relax their borders, which they inevitably will, they will stop being zero covid really quickly. 

International travel will start again at some point, 2 week quarantines aren't a permanent thing, otherwise everyone can kiss goodbye to ever going on holiday again. There is no appetite for this in the wider population, people like going on holiday and if governments take that away from them permanently once everyone is vaccinated, then they can expect to feel that at the ballot box.

Zero covid may be achievable in the short to medium term (if we had a competent government), but in the long run simply ain't gonna happen. Anyone who suggests this is living in fantasy land.

Just now, Paul ™ said:

U-turn alert! 

No thats not what you meant, as we then went on to discuss support for airports being closed, airlines going bankrupt and support needed for the industry as its closed down... 🤡

Bringing in a 2 week quarantine on arrival for everyone and not allowing anyone to enter the country who is not a national or visa holder is effectively closing the borders. Few people will travel if they need to spend 2 weeks in a hotel on arrival back.

And I hold little sympathy for the budget airlines, they've done well in the market up until now. 

Just now, tigger123 said:

We're not going to get to zero covid. For us to get to zero covid, means the whole world needs to get to zero covid. Based on our lack of success in wiping out any other virus in the history of mankind (I think Smallpox is the only one we've nearly managed to), that simply ain't gonna happen. Australia and New Zealand may be zero covid now, but that's because they have effectively closed their borders and implemented a 2 week quarantine for all arrivals. That is unsustainable in the long term and when they relax their borders, which they inevitably will, they will stop being zero covid really quickly. 

International travel will start again at some point, 2 week quarantines aren't a permanent thing, otherwise everyone can kiss goodbye to ever going on holiday again. There is no appetite for this in the wider population, people like going on holiday and if governments take that away from them permanently once everyone is vaccinated, then they can expect to feel that at the ballot box.

Zero covid may be achievable in the short to medium term (if we had a competent government), but in the long run simply ain't gonna happen. Anyone who suggests this is living in fantasy land.

he wasn't talking about zero covid, he was on about getting rid of SA variant. Now, it's probably too late as probably spreading, but this is what govt are effectively trying to do, suppress it with mass testing and quarantine etc.

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

The Zero Covid lot just say 'LOCKDOWN UNTIL THERE IS ZERO COVID' without realising its not that simple.

I also think some know its not possible and is using it as a way to have a go at the govt

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

people mocking this...like ho ho what a silly doom monger twat etc...but isn't this what the govt are trying to do with this variant, or at least saying they're trying to do....with mass testing in areas where variant has been detected, and quarantine for people coming from countries with high prevalence of the SA/Brazil variant?

the SA variant is endemic in Bristol with no sign of doorstep testers round my way, and I'm just off to spread it to Surrey. 😛 

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Read the post properly, I said elimination of the South African variant is possible.

What gives you the grounds to say whether Australia or New Zealands border closures are sustainable long term? Both countries economies are operating entirely effectively. 

Bringing in a 2 week quarantine on arrival for everyone and not allowing anyone to enter the country who is not a national or visa holder is effectively closing the borders. Few people will travel if they need to spend 2 weeks in a hotel on arrival back.

And I hold little sympathy for the budget airlines, they've done well in the market up until now. 

Sorry but those closed border measures is totally different from a closed airport which is what you said you supported! 

1. I have a family member who is sick hence the travel, I would not have otherwise. During that time I was away for 2 and a half months. 

Some people here in the UK are not even able to see dying family members in hospital, but it's fine for you to fly around the world to see a sick family member .. just wow! 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Who on this thread is calling for zero Covid? Seems to be a lot of complaints about the zero Covid crew but I never see anyone calling for that here. Or do people mean on Twitter?

Oh, the fake SAGE lot generally. no massive Zero Covid people on here

9 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I spent 2 weeks on arrival in Australia in a quarantine hotel and was tested twice during that time. The whole point of those measures is to mitigate the risk to Australians. 

What would mitigate the risk to Australians the most is people not flying from the Covid infested UK to the other side of the world. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I re-read my post and I didn’t mean it to come across like I was having a go btw. 

I don’t really see it that way, I think there are activities and things to do in the meantime that can bring gratification and a worthwhile feeling to life right now. In fact it’s probably fairly important to find those things, to bring yourself some form of enjoyment. 

Completely understandable that you/people would have lockdown fatigue it’s been nearly a year with restrictions in some form. I just don’t like the idea of people thinking this period of life is a waste as it isn’t, life should be cherished if we are lucky enough to still have it. Soz for the cringe. 

Oh no it’s fine, I didn’t read it as coming across like that at all. You are right in that we can’t really complain if we still have our health, as it’s the most important thing!

And I would like to dedicate some time to activities i enjoy, but I’m a grumpy arse in the winter most years anyway! And my days/weeks currently consist of working long days upstairs in my loft (new role/no support), then coming down to spend time with my 20 month old son after nursery, then falling asleep early as I’m shattered! Then my wife is working every weekend on the Covid wards so I’m looking after him each weekend which is great, but not relaxing time at all! And we don’t have a childcare or support bubble. And to top it all off we’re currently in the middle of another 10 days isolation (sons nursery - this is the 3rd we’ve had since December) and we are all recovering from Covid and other bugs that he’s picked up! 

So yeah, I need to see the positivity that this will all be over soon! But you’re right, being happy and healthy is the main thing and most days I’m positive. Just the odd slip every now and again. 

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's the thing though - I don't think there were any hospitalisations in the placebo arm either.  There certainly weren't enough serious cases to show statistical significance.  As much as hospitals are under massive strain, 2000 people just isn't enough people to be able to tell.

Especially when the trial was carried out amongst young healthy people, who aren't very likely to end up in hospital if they catch it anyway.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Who on this thread is calling for zero Covid? Seems to be a lot of complaints about the zero Covid crew but I never see anyone calling for that here. Or do people mean on Twitter?

I think anyone who suggests keeping any restrictions after vulnerable, or even all adults are vaccinated are considered zero covid doomsters. This is where the argument will be over the next few months I guess, but in the end it all depends on the data coming from the hospitals....if hospitals are good, we're good...if hospitalisation numbers are high, we may see further restrictions.