When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, they are saying that it will be a major wave with an end to restrictions.

"In both scenarios a relaxation over three months results in a resurgence in hospital admissions that is larger than that seen in January 2020."

No clue whether they're right but both Imperial and Warwick are forecasting this.

Part of their argument is that we have some restrictions, we avoid this and we avoid having to have another lockdown.

Hang on, what's the context? I thought that was if we relaxed restrictions entirely once the vulnerable were vaccinated, I'm talking about when the entire adult population has had their second shot.

I dont think many sane people are advocating anything more than beer gardens / private gardens / parks rule of 6 and same or 1 other household only for indoor hospitality until everyone is jabbed twice. 

once we’ve all had 2 doses tho it has to pretty much be game on in full. Masks will likely still be encouraged but not mandatory in relevant places like trains and buses. 

air travel will be at the discretion of whichever country wants to admit us and us falling in line with whatever their restrictions are

Edited by Memory Man

Just now, Memory Man said:

I dont think many sane people are advocating anything more than beer gardens / private gardens rule of 6 and same or 1 other household only indoor hospitality until everyone is jabbed twice

once we’ve all had 2 doses tho it has to pretty much be game on in full 

So no orgies?

15 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

We might be slightly at cross purposes here. My original replies were to someone who was saying that we’ll need restrictions until the entire world is vaccinated, and I said that if that’s going to take years it won’t happen.

You start to get into the Zero Covid fantasy at that point with significant changes to people’s freedoms and rights until an undefined or unachievable end point. That’s not only undesirable but very unlikely to be accepted. I’m not pushing for an immediate full opening up. My own take was ‘Caution might be an option for a few months, maybe some light restrictions into next Spring at a push.’

That's not what I said though, in the UK we probably will lift restrictions sooner rather than later but the issue internationally is that covid will be still running riot especially in poorer countries. Therefore, swanning around the world on holidays or even business might not be as restriction free we would like it to be and also we could be causing risk to people who have not been vaccinated by adding different variants in the mix....

I'm not saying anything different to what the scientific and medical communities are worried about tbh 

8 hours ago, Gacheezbo said:

Not saying I agree with this, but at the same time I can't think of good enough reasons to argue against it

Unscientific view but I think that they need to bring some sort of rule of 6 back in soon to keep people sweet. I think some youngsters might feel alright with it if they can at least see some friends for drinks etc 

8 hours ago, aj6658 said:

I’m in my 20s and once my parents are vaccinated I will become more relaxed in my approach. I moved back home since the pandemic and I have followed the rules strictly. I didn’t even go to the gym when it was allowed as it made my dad uncomfortable. 

but I’m burnt out with all of this. I feel like life is slipping by me. The question is once the highest risk people are taken care of with the vaccine, why do we need any restrictions? (Note:I believe in a longer lockdown as I think once tiers hit they’re not gonna be effective. )

I’m of the opinion once everyone above 50 to s vaccinate with 2 doses then tier 1 everywhere and then no restrictions internally soon thereafter. 

If we can’t enjoy life as it was pre-covid with this vaccine then what’s the point?  As much as I sound like one of those foul anti-lockdown lot but there has to come a point where you have to move on with our lives. I know I can say that safely as someone who’s not a risk. 

I went down to visit my parents before Christmas and I’m still here. I’m planning to go back to LDN at the end of this month. By the time I’ve gone back both my parents and all grandparents have had the jab. 

im going to really struggle if for some time I’m not allowed to see my friends living near me in Ldn 

See what I’ve been thinking. Around xmas time when we were locking down again ( this lock down) I remember reading stuff that said due to the increased transmissibility of this new variant  that even with a full on march esque lockdown we could struggle to get the R rate below 1.

Well what we have had is a lockdown nowhere near as strict or complied with as a year ago and a more transmissible virus but the r rate is indeed below 1, and the place with the lowest R rate is London. What is at play here is it cause of increased immunity within the population (particularly in London)? I don’t mean full on herd immunity but like the beginnings of that.

Had an interesting chat with a security guard at our local Sainsburys yesterday.

Tried stopping me, my wife and child going in together.

I genuinely can't believe the world we are living in at the moment.

Needless to say I won the battle and we did our shop with no issues but it seems an absolutely absurd rule to try and enforce especially when the poor bloke said "you can choose to ignore me if you want" - cheers mate I shall.

Whats peoples opinions on ways to tackling anti-vaxxers?

Personally I'm just a bit fed up of people who read something on Facebook having the arrogance to say they know better than all other doctors and professionals. I think if you refuse the vaccine you're put on a list and it restricts you from doing certain things (e.g. you cant fly, the NHS doesn't cover you for COVID related illnesses e.c.t) I know that seems quite extreme and can be a slippery slope but if people have this opinion then surely they won't be simple "educated" on the matter.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Had an interesting chat with a security guard at our local Sainsburys yesterday.

Needless to say I won the battle and we did our shop with no issues but it seems an absolutely absurd rule to try and enforce especially when the poor bloke said "you can choose to ignore me if you want" - cheers mate I shall.

Well done, you show them!

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

That's not what I said though, in the UK we probably will lift restrictions sooner rather than later but the issue internationally is that covid will be still running riot especially in poorer countries. Therefore, swanning around the world on holidays or even business might not be as restriction free we would like it to be and also we could be causing risk to people who have not been vaccinated by adding different variants in the mix....

I'm not saying anything different to what the scientific and medical communities are worried about tbh 

I think what you are saying sounds perfectly reasonable. If foreign holidays are limited this year that might help prevent any future variant being brought into the country.

16 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Whats peoples opinions on ways to tackling anti-vaxxers?

Personally I'm just a bit fed up of people who read something on Facebook having the arrogance to say they know better than all other doctors and professionals. I think if you refuse the vaccine you're put on a list and it restricts you from doing certain things (e.g. you cant fly, the NHS doesn't cover you for COVID related illnesses e.c.t) I know that seems quite extreme and can be a slippery slope but if people have this opinion then surely they won't be simple "educated" on the matter.

Get your jab and leave em to it

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think what you are saying sounds perfectly reasonable. If foreign holidays are limited this year that might help prevent any future variant being brought into the country.

This is what I imagine will happen. Although I’m open to being completely off the mark.

We may have a good summer inside the U.K. and be allowed to do more things - but when you want to leave / come into the country that is where it’s going to be difficult.

@jeff_a_king

The selective hotel quarantine policy seems irrational. If people from non-and high-risk countries mix on or before the flights then it is inevitable that the variant will slip through and propagate.

And will spread at the airports more easily too, now there are (still!) 2 hour& queues because UK border force thinks it's a good idea to only employ one member of staff. Also those people in the 2 hour queue will have travelled in from all over, which will mean that contact tracing people on the same flight will no longer be enough.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is what I imagine will happen. Although I’m open to being completely off the mark.

We may have a good summer inside the U.K. and be allowed to do more things - but when you want to leave / come into the country that is where it’s going to be difficult.

I think that could be very possible. Or at the least strict measures which end up putting people off going abroad such as 2 week quarantine upon return etc. 

34 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

See what I’ve been thinking. Around xmas time when we were locking down again ( this lock down) I remember reading stuff that said due to the increased transmissibility of this new variant  that even with a full on march esque lockdown we could struggle to get the R rate below 1.

Well what we have had is a lockdown nowhere near as strict or complied with as a year ago and a more transmissible virus but the r rate is indeed below 1, and the place with the lowest R rate is London. What is at play here is it cause of increased immunity within the population (particularly in London)? I don’t mean full on herd immunity but like the beginnings of that.

I think the variant is actually less transmissible than first thought (still more transmissible than the original covid) plus schools being closed was enough to flip it over. 

Do wonder if the emergence of the SA strain will delay schools reopening for a little while longer yet?
With the media reports of an increase in cases of it, coupled with the results that the Oxford/AZ vaccine is less effective against it maybe gives justification for them delaying it even further. 

Edited by st dan

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How is this an outrage? Supermarkets clearly have posters asking you to shop alone to try and reduce the number of people in store, and so reduce the chances of transmission of the virus. But it's 'asking' and you can still go with family if you absolutely have to. How is that a 'I can't believe the world we're living in' request? I feel sorry for the poor security guard who improbably getting hassled every day by people who don't see why they should have to do anything or don't bother reading large posters.

You've been hostile to nearly every restriction throughout this, you always seem to think it's unreasonable/unnecessary- back in summer you didn't see why people should work from home, and wanted your staff to come into the office, if I remember correctly (apologies if I don't!)