When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, zahidf said:

Saying that we still need restrictions post mass vaccination is pissing in the wind 

What we 'need' and what will 'be' are two very different things.

You have no idea what the next 6 months looks like, so I would say sit tight and stop frantically posting articles from Twitter saying we won't have restrictions/lockdowns etc. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

I guess with lockdowns and weather the cases and deaths will drop in much of EU over the coming months anyway...but they need to start jabbing people before next winter arrives.

Yeah. If (and it's a big if) there isn't another wave, the EU may well catch up before its too late and they're aiming for September.

Amidst the good decisions, the UK had some luck with the vaccines so far e.g. the lack of issues with the delays to the second regimen which were far from a slam dunk, the EU may get some luck of its own e.g. distribution is better than forecast.

It's great that the UK has done so well with the vaccines but, cases are still high, deaths are likely to fall everywhere and I don't think it will have a material impact on the respective paths of the UK and EU economies.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Im not sure why you find that amusing but I will try to give an explanation .... I would imagine that the forum is at its busiest around sale / resale time and that draws in lots of customers and many new people ...... If I were helping someone I would be looking at post numbers , last online date and the pointless internet rep as you call it .... so its a mixture of several things ... I would not be offering help to someone that was a clear troll or had joined 1 week previously to a sale ..... of course those things arent listed on the resale spreadsheet .... but for me its human nature to look at who you would offer to help ? maybe I have that wrong in your case though which is fair enough 

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I'd imagine your regular presence alone on here will guarantee you a small army of helpers in the resale

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Well if that happens, we will have to do it anyway. The difference is when we have to do that. If we let it circulate, keeping hospitals under pressure, the second we even get an inkling that this might have happened we will have to lockdown to ensure the NHS isn’t overwhelmed. The if it’s a false alarm we can reopen.

Whereas if we take a slower approach to reopening, if something new turns up we can take a few weeks to examine it without locking down, as the pressure on the system has been massively reduced.

I do think you are right, we will do the first one. And I think that will mean 3 or 4 shorter lockdowns throughout the rest of the year as we panic about new strains.

We might be slightly at cross purposes here. My original replies were to someone who was saying that we’ll need restrictions until the entire world is vaccinated, and I said that if that’s going to take years it won’t happen.

You start to get into the Zero Covid fantasy at that point with significant changes to people’s freedoms and rights until an undefined or unachievable end point. That’s not only undesirable but very unlikely to be accepted. I’m not pushing for an immediate full opening up. My own take was ‘Caution might be an option for a few months, maybe some light restrictions into next Spring at a push.’

8 hours ago, jparx said:

Yep I read a similar article earlier on the guardian with the same headline and couldn’t believe they ran with that headline on it. Doesn’t sound half as bad when you read it.

Par for the course at the minute unfortunately.

8 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yes, but it's also important to not be naive to this situation and assume that we might face a situation where these vaccines don#t work. All of the vaccine companies are currently working on new versions which work on various mutations.

It's why it's imperitave to just get as much of the popualation vaccinated as possible, before we open up properly. There's been a ground swirl of 'lets just vaccinate the vulnerable', which shows a total ignorance on how this process works. 

I think we need to start relaxing once the vulnerable have been vaccinated but in steps. In my mind there’s a see saw with the weight of the Virus’ impact on one side and the weight of everything else (Mental Health, the Economy, Civil Liberties) on the other. At the minute we aren’t putting much weight on the right hand side but as more people are vaccinated and cases/deaths come down, we *have* to start doing so. 

We also have to be realistic about what people are capable of. If you’re an Epidemiologist or a Virologist or you’re somebody that posts regularly on threads like this or Tweets about Covid, the easy mistake is thinking that you and the people you’re conversing with are representative of the majority. But you/we aren’t. Even at the current height of the Pandemic there are plenty of people out there who if Lockdown was relaxed tomorrow, would take their chances. They just aren’t that worried. Once Granny has been Vaccinated that pressure will grow. Once everyone in the U.K. is Vaccinated it will be impossible to sell restrictions to them. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Yuppppp

Tom Friedan is constantly pushing this ‘new normal’ stuff. Not sure why but he is. I think the second post is spot on. As talented and clever as public health experts are, some of them are a bit disconnected. We may one day be thankful they don’t get to make the big decisions.

57 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

The governments main priority is getting the domestic economy up and running this year, they will likely accept the hit that the airlines take. Hancock and others have already been delivering this messaging with quotes such as 'people should look forward to a great British summer'.

New variants being brought in have shifted the goal posts and you can almost guarentee the approach to travel in and out of the UK will now be met with stricter measures. 

It's not just the airlines though, it's the actual airports, support functions, NATS, supply chain, staff etc in the UK and other countries that it would affect and would be potentially for years as variants will always exist.

There is no way they will close down all UK airports, you can believe that all you want but we will see come August/September that you will be able to travel pretty much freely again with existing measures or less. 

I'd go as far to say they won't even expand the hotel quarantine to every passenger at all either, they are struggling with what they have already announced.

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Alright eFests hive mind - what do we think the  chances are of a holiday in the Canaries being possible without much in the way of restrictions by October?

80-90% - probably with a negative test on the way out and same on the way back.

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Alright eFests hive mind - what do we think the  chances are of a holiday in the Canaries being possible without much in the way of restrictions by October?

In terms of being allowed to leave the UK for foreign lands? Highly likely.

In terms of that specific destination being open for business? Not a clue.

Edited by incident

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It's not just the airlines though, it's the actual airports, support functions, NATS, supply chain, staff etc in the UK and other countries that it would affect and would be potentially for years as variants will always exist.

There is no way they will close down all UK airports, you can believe that all you want but we will see come August/September that you will be able to travel pretty much freely again with existing measures or less. 

I'd go as far to say they won't even expand the hotel quarantine to every passenger at all either, they are struggling with what they have already announced.

80-90% - probably with a negative test on the way out and same on the way back.

I agree with this. Closing down U.K. Aviation this year would cost an absolute fortune. There’s a couple of U.K. Airports that would be at risk of going bust which badly affects local Economies. They might have to renationalise NATS which neither party wants.

I don’t think there will be much in the way of Restriction free flying , there will be controls, masks etc but I’d expect a decent amount of activity.