When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

41 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Thing is Brazil has 3 times the population of the UK, an inferior health system, no restrictions at all yet they have 226,000 deaths and we have 110,000. They are living a normal life and have fewer deaths per capita as us. Anyone care to explain?

So you watched the video I posted showing pure desperation and death in the Brazil capital and this is your response??

Jesus we've really become a bit hardened by this pandemic that we losing our sense of empathy 😞

58 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Caution might be an option for a few months, maybe some light restrictions into next Spring at a push. But if it’s going to take years to vaccinate the whole world forget it. Never gonna happen.

I know it's not going to happen as people just care about themselves as a general rule, I'm alright Jack as become worse in this country tbh

Point I'm making is we can make our island secure but whilst the whole world is still in chaos we are not out if danger from this virus.

Plus if we start swaning around the world cos we can, we unintentionally could be causing danger to others by potentially creating vaccine resistant strains... we have to look at the bigger picture here rather than exceptionalism 

But as you say it won't happen and that's going to a potentially be a big issue which i believe is the international medical communities concern

19 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

So you watched the video I posted showing pure desperation and death in the Brazil capital and this is your response??

Jesus we've really become a bit hardened by this pandemic that we losing our sense of empathy 😞

Well said.

I don't know how anyone can change the subject so callously like that.

It's a tragedy that a reasonably rich country like Brazil has such an incredibly poor health system and this is the human price.

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Well said.

I don't know how anyone can change the subject so callously like that.

It's a tragedy that a reasonably rich country like Brazil has such an incredibly poor health system and this is the human price.

I didn't see any callousness in that. Still, if a chance to put someone right presents itself....

35 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I know it's not going to happen as people just care about themselves as a general rule, I'm alright Jack as become worse in this country tbh

Point I'm making is we can make our island secure but whilst the whole world is still in chaos we are not out if danger from this virus.

Plus if we start swaning around the world cos we can, we unintentionally could be causing danger to others by potentially creating vaccine resistant strains... we have to look at the bigger picture here rather than exceptionalism 

But as you say it won't happen and that's going to a potentially be a big issue which i believe is the international medical communities concern

You can have relative national normality if you have the right controls on the entry and exit points, this doesn't have to be not letting people in. 

Global normality will take a lot longer if ever as I can't see how there not going to be changes to global travel procedures. 

38 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Yeah I'm not travelling internationally for a long time for moral reasons even if we're allowed. It would be nice for us to be able to do stuff in our own country though, it's not like we need to stay in lockdown in solidarity. But yes I do think people should not be flying at this point (there's a moral debate about it ever coming back but that's for another day) 

51 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I posted the video to try to show the full story of life in Brazil at the moment, yes, the hospital situation is horrendous I was aware of that anyway I had already seen reports of families having to try to get oxygen to save their loved ones, the Guardian report doesn't give any context, while this is happening ordinary Brazilians are carrying on with their lives as if there is no crisis, look at the video I posted, Hardly any masks to be seen and zero social distancing, it would seem the Brazilian public is oblivious to the suffering or don't believe they have any role to play in reducing the deaths, maybe the media aren't publicising the problems there. Sorry if you thought my post insensitive but I don't see how showing what life is like at the moment in Brazil does any harm, we need to see the full picture if we want to learn from this.

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

There is a very low limit to what restrictions people will accept on their lives and what rights they will pause/give up ‘just in case’ one Virus mutates. It’s not ‘I’m alright Jack’ and it’s not just this Country by any means.  It’s just Human Nature.

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

There is a very low limit to what restrictions people will accept on their lives and what rights they will pause/give up ‘just in case’ one Virus mutates. It’s not ‘I’m alright Jack’ and it’s not just this Country by any means.  It’s just Human Nature.

this keeps being said...but so far it seems most people are on board with restrictions if means preventing death etc.

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

You’re ashrooming a festival website would have people you might know things 

Hahaha, thats true. Ive been searching for what seems like weeks now... its harder to get than almost anythign else!!! If anyone can help please PM me 🙏

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

That may be true, but it's important to understand that's the attitude that will keep us in and out of lockdown for the next few years, rather than get us out of it fully.

3 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I didn't see any callousness in that. Still, if a chance to put someone right presents itself....

Look again.

There’s a post highlighting the suffering of people facing a humanitarian crisis in a part of the world because the health system has mismanaged the oxygen supply. The post wasn’t trying to create debate, it was just trying to show the awful extent of this.

And then the response just glosses over this, “the thing is...”

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Jesus. Independent SAGE member Christine Pagel is calling for annual lockdowns every winter during the flu season. 

No she isn’t, if you look at her tweet thread from Earlier she is questioning whether during flu season we should wear masks on public transport and in shops. Nothing about locking down. Where did you get that from?

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Look again.

There’s a post highlighting the suffering of people facing a humanitarian crisis in a part of the world because the health system has mismanaged the oxygen supply. The post wasn’t trying to create debate, it was just trying to show the awful extent of this.

And then the response just glosses over this, “the thing is...”

The video does just focus on the humanitarian problem and the text below explains,

When Thalita Rocha's mother-in-law died due to a lack of available oxygen on a Manaus hospital's Covid ward, she vowed to raise money to deliver oxygen tanks and other lifesaving equipment to the Amazonian city's homes. Jair Bolsonaro's coronavirus policies have led to more than 226,000 deaths in Brazil, and as anger rises on the streets and protesters call for his impeachment, Rocha and other volunteers drive around Manaus offering medical kit and hope

But any reasonable person would ask why this situation exists, not just respond "isn't that terrible" They explain Bolsonaro is at fault but don't say what his policies are or what could be done differently, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why the death rate isn't far higher given the poor response in Brazil. Even if Bolsonaro wanted to lockdown or impose other measures could Brazil afford it? Would the people stand for it? Another Guardian article would suggest the public in Brazil are less than keen on restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/brazil-covid-coronavirus-party-deaths-200-000

Getting rid of Bolsonaro would be a step in the right direction but whoever took over would have a mammoth task on their hands.