When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I reckon it might be similar to the roadmap that was outlined on the early May bank holiday weekend last year (I.e. schools first, non-essential retail potentially on date X if the data allows, hospitality to follow a few weeks after that if the data allows)

Hope so - the annoying thing is that it’s in the governments best interests to open up shops/hospitality before allowing us to see our families and friends again. Hoping the latter is taken into account in all this, as it’s the main factor for the majority of people. 

Edited by st dan

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree about FPTP.

I'm simply pointing out that it's not in Labour's interest to change. It will be signing their own irrelevance.

Because once there's a party worth voting for for every differing view, who's going to vote for the Labour party? Sure, it'll get highjacked by one particular faction to offer one particular view and gets some votes on that basis, but that's never going to chime with enough of the population to keep them as the 2nd party when even now with FPTP there's too many purists on the left.

And before that, they have to get elected on that platform of introducing PR - and that sort of thing always has a sniff of manipulating the system to their own advantage (even if it's not), which will cost them votes even from some people who are generally in favour of PR. They'd get there eventually I'm sure but don't fool yourself that's it's a definite winning policy.

yeah it will never happen. Far too many people on both sides have too much to lose personally by going PR... 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

can't really see the govt being tough on travellers when holiday season comes around. Too many people live for their holidays - so i reckon holidays will be OK'd at some point before the local elections.

As for vaccine passports, they were inevitable - but also meaningless. However they're done they're going to be faked.

I'm sure they will come up with a solution in time,

On 5/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, gizmoman said:

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I dunno. I actually think PR would benefit the tories by quite a lot, with them always likely to be the largest party - so with first shout of forming a govt.

Its not about it benefiting parties. Its about individuals and groups losing too much power, influence and money. Those people run the Tory party.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree about FPTP.

I'm simply pointing out that it's not in Labour's interest to change. It will be signing their own irrelevance.

Because once there's a party worth voting for for every differing view, who's going to vote for the Labour party? Sure, it'll get highjacked by one particular faction to offer one particular view and gets some votes on that basis, but that's never going to chime with enough of the population to keep them as the 2nd party when even now with FPTP there's too many purists on the left.

And before that, they have to get elected on that platform of introducing PR - and that sort of thing always has a sniff of manipulating the system to their own advantage (even if it's not), which will cost them votes even from some people who are generally in favour of PR. They'd get there eventually I'm sure but don't fool yourself that's it's a definite winning policy.

If Farage gets back to pushing for electoral reform I can see it happening. He's taken a detour into anti-lockdown nonsense, but he must have some sort of plan on making electoral reform seem appealing to the masses.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If Farage gets back to pushing for electoral reform I can see it happening. He's taken a detour into anti-lockdown nonsense, but he must have some sort of plan on making electoral reform seem appealing to the masses.

yeah, cos Labour voters are desperate to team up with Nige. 😛 

Wanting reform is one thing, what the reforms are is another. My biggest fear is that some arsehole will want PR for the upper house and leave FPTP for the commons.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wanting reform is one thing, what the reforms are is another. My biggest fear is that some arsehole will want PR for the upper house and leave FPTP for the commons.

I was thinking about this the other day, what type of reform could work with the House of Lords. I personally support STV as our voting system for the Commons but not sure about the Lords. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Farage would probably want PR though? Can't stand him but he has form in taking a single issue with about as much support as electoral reform does now, and pushing it through a referendum. 

My biggest fear would be after Brexit no PM would risk even offering the referendum any more. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

I was thinking about this the other day, what type of reform could work with the House of Lords. I personally support STV as our voting system for the Commons but not sure about the Lords. 

The lords needs to really be some sort of federal chamber.

However, I'm pretty damned sure that there's little appetite for something like from within England, where the only options acceptable to the other three would see an english vote worth 1/10th of other votes.
(it's funny how some love PR right up until they're not getting an advantage from it 😛 )

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is basically saying that a lot of the same people who are dying of covid atm are the people who would otherwise be expected to be dying from flu and other causes?

I think so. At points where non-COVID causes are negative; this suggests excess deaths would have been below the 5 year average if COVID wasn’t present and if all things were equal. I could be wrong though. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The lords needs to really be some sort of federal chamber.

However, I'm pretty damned sure that there's little appetite for something like from within England, where the only options acceptable to the other three would see an english vote worth 1/10th of other votes.
(it's funny how some love PR right up until they're not getting an advantage from it 😛 )

I quite like the idea of a technocratic 2nd chamber of experts in their fields part earned and part elected. But I really don’t know what that would even look like.

You are right about people wanting it until they won’t gain an advantage from PR. Which is why Labour haven’t really supported it before. Where I differ though is that I think eventually Labour will support it, as the electorate changes I think more support will grow in the country too so I can see us changing to that at some stage. 

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is basically saying that a lot of the same people who are dying of covid atm are the people who would otherwise be expected to be dying from flu and other causes?

Yes, it shows that although Covid is impacting on deaths, the lockdown is having a double impact in reducing both covid deaths and non-covid deaths, such as from flu, as people are staying indoors now who might have otherwise died from flu. The people who are not included in the excess non-covid deaths (but would normally have been) are not necessarily the same people causing the increase in Covd deaths (all of which are excess) but are likely to be the same people on the whole

@Toilet Duck any chance we could see a significant change in variants of seasonal flu following what will (I assume) have been a year with record low cases of both infections and deaths throughout the world?
Just wondering if we should be expecting anything good, bad or different from it when it pops up again next winter!  

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My arm is a bit dead but no other nasty side effects.

Anyone else who’s had their arm pumped full of Pfizer-y goodness, how long does the sore arm last? 

I would imagine it will be different with different people .... just like my flu jab gives me different reactions each year ..... it will pass ... no longer than 1 day or 2 I would imagine