When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, st dan said:

Denmark and Norway now added to the list of countries to not recommend the Oxford/AZ vaccine for the over 65’s ... its all feeling a bit like the Eurovision voting now. 

You can kind of add Ireland to the list as well now! Currently the advice here is to preferentially use Pfizer/Moderna for over 70s (but not to withhold OX/AZ if it's the only vaccine you have in stock). Interestingly, they've recommended different gaps for 2nd doses based on age (4-6 weeks over 65, 9-12 weeks under 65). No idea where they came up with that one from! They've said they will review in a few weeks when they expect to get additional data from AZ. 

Edit: I'm guessing the >65s in the OX/AZ trial all had their shot within 6 weeks, so that's why they have set an upper boundary there, whereas the younger folk had longer gaps...but I haven't really dug into the data stratified by age, so don't know for sure...

Edited by Toilet Duck

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

You can kind of add Ireland to the list as well now! Currently the advice here is to preferentially use Pfizer/Moderna for over 70s (but not to withhold OX/AZ if it's the only vaccine you have in stock). Interestingly, they've recommended different gaps for 2nd doses based on age (4-6 weeks over 65, 9-12 weeks under 65). No idea where they came up with that one! They've said they will review in a few weeks when they expect to get additional data from AZ. 

That’s not good news (although not yet terrible I guess)  

Do you still think there is no real cause for concern yet, and you would expect data to come back confirming it is indeed effective for the over 65s too? Or is it a possibility that it’s still up in the air at this point?

Just now, steviewevie said:

nice to see the lines on those graphs going down.

It is indeed - I remember when they were going up in almost a vertical line and it was feared even a march style lockdown wouldnt be enough to bring it down due to the new strain- such a relief that turned out not to be true. 

Still a lot of people have died needlessly as a result of the Christmas policy (I've lost track, is it 20,000-30,000?). 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

That’s not good news (although not yet terrible I guess)  

Do you still think there is no real cause for concern yet, and you would expect data to come back confirming it is indeed effective for the over 65s too? Or is it a possibility that it’s still up in the air at this point?

Honestly, it looks fine to me. The immune response in >65s is almost the same as <65 (from the Phase 2). If there's a slight drop off in efficacy in older adults, it'll likely be the same for all of them as this is pretty natural anyway. 

Edit: Of course, the really important point is that irrespective of age (and indeed the different variants), all the vaccines seem to be really good at preventing severe disease, hospitalisation and death...which is mostly what we are worrying about...I haven't seen anything yet on long Covid in vaccinated individuals that became infected, so while not impossible, it looks like these vaccines are changing how we experience SARS-CoV-2 infection. 

Edited by Toilet Duck
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

have they even placed orders with AZ?

actually....

Norway:
Non-EU Norway will get access to some of the vaccines obtained by the European Union thanks to Sweden, an EU member that will buy more than it needs and sell them to Norway, right after New Year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-norway-vaccine/norway-to-use-three-vaccines-to-stop-covid-19-from-early-2021-idUKKBN28E1AU?edition-redirect=uk

Switzerland:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-swiss-astrazeneca-idUSKBN2A32GV