When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Er... surely this guardian article can’t be right? How is ‘someone with COVID coughing in your face, increases the risk of you catching covid than if they were just taking or breathing’ a revelation?! Isn’t that just standard knowledge regarding spreading diseases? Did it really need a study? Were they really working on the assumption that it wouldn’t be more dangerous to workers?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/03/covid-coughing-study-suggests-nhs-staff-at-far-greater-risk-than-thought

Covid coughing study suggests NHS staff at far greater risk than thought

Exclusive: Health service urged to rethink safety for frontline staff and provide better PPE and ventilation

The NHS has been urged to rethink safety for thousands of frontline staff after new research suggested that Covid patients’ coughing is putting them at far greater risk of catching the virus than previously thought.

The study found that coughing generated at least 10 times more infectious “aerosol” particles than speaking or breathing – which could explain why so many NHS staff have fallen ill during the pandemic.

That's... an old study isn't it? I've seen it said around 6 months ago 

30 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, I'm having confusion over whether its a good idea right now to book a hotel for a day trip to London in August, nevermind bringing up the international ideas I had planned for 2020 before it turned into a nightmare. I was planning to wait until Easter before weighing up if I was confident enough to book them, but I wouldn't be surprised if its 2022 before I decide to trouble an airplane.

We just recently booked to Goa in November, at a brilliant price and fully refundable/transferable if need be.

If it doesn't happen ( I think it will) then we will move it to a later date. 

Was originally going to be this winter, but actually prefer next year as it will be my 50th when we are over there.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Can you let us know how the second dose goes? A few have said that’s when you get side effects with Pfizer, and I’d like to know if I should book the following day off work just in case!

Will do. We haven’t got dates yet but I’m hoping it’s soon. 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Er... surely this guardian article can’t be right? How is ‘someone with COVID coughing in your face, increases the risk of you catching covid than if they were just taking or breathing’ a revelation?! Isn’t that just standard knowledge regarding spreading diseases? Did it really need a study? Were they really working on the assumption that it wouldn’t be more dangerous to workers?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/03/covid-coughing-study-suggests-nhs-staff-at-far-greater-risk-than-thought

Covid coughing study suggests NHS staff at far greater risk than thought

Exclusive: Health service urged to rethink safety for frontline staff and provide better PPE and ventilation

The NHS has been urged to rethink safety for thousands of frontline staff after new research suggested that Covid patients’ coughing is putting them at far greater risk of catching the virus than previously thought.

The study found that coughing generated at least 10 times more infectious “aerosol” particles than speaking or breathing – which could explain why so many NHS staff have fallen ill during the pandemic.

I think the idea behind studies "that everyone knew anyway" is twofold:

* Actually confirm that what everyone knew was actually true. 

* Quantify the level of the effect.

That gives us really useful information that can inform policy, e.g. concentrate more on ventilation and masks than surface cleaning.

36 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

We just recently booked to Goa in November, at a brilliant price and fully refundable/transferable if need be.

If it doesn't happen ( I think it will) then we will move it to a later date. 

Was originally going to be this winter, but actually prefer next year as it will be my 50th when we are over there.

I think it's important to make sure you have refundable/transferable clauses. I had issues enough with a non-refundable hotel I had booked in Manchester (was successfully re-moved to a new date) that it makes me think we need all that security.

Hopefully the world will be better by then that you can go, particularly as that sounds like a handy little bonus. We're still learning more about what's possible as we go along, so it makes sense to just be cautious.

Granted, Goa is more ambitious than me thinking "... maybe one night in a hotel in London?" aha

4 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Did anyone else catch Johnson saying we’d start getting some info on the next steps from the 15th?

I didn’t watch the conference but read the BBC News updates and they seemed to suggest he said something like that?

Well get info own restrictions ending own 22nd. The 15th is news about next steps on vaccinations.

9 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Did anyone else catch Johnson saying we’d start getting some info on the next steps from the 15th?

I didn’t watch the conference but read the BBC News updates and they seemed to suggest he said something like that?

He said the govt expect to get information on the 15th as to how the figures are going.

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m getting the vaccine on Friday (I have a health condition that I had no idea meant I was on the priority list!) but my GP rang me today telling me to come in.

Am I this thread’s guinea pig or have any of you been vaccinated yet? 

Congratulations! I’m but a regular reader of this thread rather than a regular contributor , but I can share mine and my wife’s experiences.

We’re both early 40’s, and both had a jab as frontline NHS (myself as a volunteer). My wife had the Pfizer jab about three weeks ago, and didn’t even have a sore arm.

I had the AZ jab on Sunday, and merrily went for a run after feeling fine and jokingly thinking I might become a lockdown sceptic now that I was a few weeks from being well protected.

About six hours after the jab I felt a bit rough, about two hours after that I felt very rough. Then I got uncontrollable shakes while trying to brush my teeth (not recommended) and spent a sleepless night with a temperature, racing heart and splitting headache. All were gone by morning. I’m treating it like a pre-hangover for the (still distanced etc.) drinking session I’ll have when the pubs open!

That said, my 79 year old Dad had the AZ with only minor tiredness, and my wife’s colleague felt awful after a Pfizer, so it’s seemingly unpredictable. Get some paracetamol in, hope for the best and keep in mind a bright future if you do end up feeling like I did!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m getting the vaccine on Friday (I have a health condition that I had no idea meant I was on the priority list!) but my GP rang me today telling me to come in.

Am I this thread’s guinea pig or have any of you been vaccinated yet? 

It turns out I have had the J&J vaccine, as part of the UK trial. I thought I had the placebo as I had no symptoms following the jab. I was unblinded from the trial and found out last week. I am still trying to confirm that they (J&J) won’t give me the second dose on the trial as I have been offered a Pfizer vaccine (I am a considered a key worker as a volunteer for the NHS). I would happily wait for the second J&J dose if they will give it. But if they won’t I will go with the Pfizer.  Mixing my drinks I know, but I think it will be ok.  @gizmoman would probably advise against this.....🤷🏽‍♂️😊