When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I’ve only had to do it in some countries in SE Asia, they check the cert at passport control. 

What happens if you aren't vaccinated when you try to get into these countries? Do you get kicked out or do they jab you?

Whitty is such a great guy isn’t he. He’s always so calm, considered and knowledgeable which his responses to questions, not trying to be overly pessimistic or optimistic either way.
The buffoon beside him could learn a lot from the way he conducts himself. 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Mild ?! how many people do you need to die for it to become not mild ? 110,000 not enough ? and this is with all the measures that we have all taken .... I presume you haven't had it on that basis ?

In infectious disease terms it is relatively mild, bubonic plague would be relatively severe I would think.

". I presume you haven't had it on that basis ?" That comment pretty much makes my point, it is entirely possible that i have had it and not even noticed (asymptomatic).

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

What happens if you aren't vaccinated when you try to get into these countries? Do you get kicked out or do they jab you?

I don’t know! It was ages ago, I think I had to do it in South America as well, but I got all the ones I had to, so didn’t have a problem. There were others that were advised for some places that I decided against (the Japanese encephalitis one at the time had a nasty side effect profile so I figured I’d leave it!). 

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

In infectious disease terms it is relatively mild, bubonic plague would be relatively severe I would think.

". I presume you haven't had it on that basis ?" That comment pretty much makes my point, it is entirely possible that i have had it and not even noticed (asymptomatic).

no it presumes that you haven't suffered the effects of it symptomatically .... or the longer term hit of long covid ....

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

But still what? My point was nothing to do with him, really. He made a lovely gesture, although he fell victim to the strange group who like to make a messiah of people they can coalesce around to nurture a faux sense of community. But that’s another discussion. The old timer did a nice thing. 

My point was that a “national clap” achieves precisely fuck all. Johnson has lots of power at his disposal and to use the death of a nice old man to cynically foster his own credentials deserves contempt. 

I'm just saying that disparaging remarks about Capt. Tom are unnecessary. A man who, sadly, has very recently passed away and who I believe deserves respect from all of us, shouldn't be disrespected to further a point about Boris, politics or anything else. What's the need? 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no it presumes that you haven't suffered the effects of it symptomatically .... or the longer term hit of long covid ....

But I was discussing the disease as a whole not just the few who get severe reactions.

"- Even without a vaccine, a high proportion of people will not get it
- A significant proportion of those who get it will have no symptoms
- The vast majority of people with symptoms have only mild illness"

The above quote is from Chris Whitty, maybe you disagree with him over the use of the word "mild".

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

But I was discussing the disease as a whole not just the few who get severe reactions.

"- Even without a vaccine, a high proportion of people will not get it
- A significant proportion of those who get it will have no symptoms
- The vast majority of people with symptoms have only mild illness"

The above quote is from Chris Whitty, maybe you disagree with him over the use of the word "mild".

you going to take a vaccine if offered?

21 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Perversely though, the fact that it can cause zero symptoms in a lot of people, yet those people can still spread it, is the scary part of it.

Diseases with a very high death rate will often kill the host before they have chance to spread, therefore reducing infectiousness.

COVID-19 is actually pretty bad. Mild I would say would be the 2003 SARS outbreak.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

On the cases, although the number is going down is anyone still concerned that we are reporting 19,000 cases a day still? This is the fifth week of lockdown now, so these are not cases that are now just showing 10-14 days after the initial infection. We all know that some businesses are still open this time that weren't before and that likely is driving transmission, as well as hospitals, but surely not to the tune of 19,000 cases a day (compared to much lower case rates in June and July)?

You need to consider the number of tests we're doing against the cases found.  Current testing rates are generally 6-700k/day at present, so when measured as a ratio against cases found we're currently seeing % Positivity rates similar to where we were at end of September.

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

What's your prediction for how the year will play out then?

Pretty much a replay of last year with a gradual return to normality during 2022. Masks and social distancing with us in some form for a couple of years. International travel normality in 3-4 years.

• Downvote 1