When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Me, I think once covid-19 has lost it's novel status, it's not really a fatal illness.

Could i be in the right ballpark @toiletduck?

I think you're right.  I've been listening to biotech podcasts recently and there's some reason to believe that the T-cell response (which is much harder to measure) is going to be less affected that the antibodies by the changes in the spike protein.

Since the antibodies are more responsible for preventing initial infection and the T-cells are more responsible for killing infected cells, we're likely to see the headline efficacy of infection prevention increasingly drop off as the mutations accumulate, but the vaccines are still going to be pretty effective in preventing serious disease.

Of course, I defer to our resident professor in this analysis 🙂

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

im sure toilet duck will confirm, but there arent any vaccines which seem to be completely useless against the variants, and a 1 shot booster rather than 2 shots would be enough to go around the variants in theory?

Hopefully that is the case - somebody should tell the people who write the news headlines and articles, because with the SA variant and now this new Kent mutation it’s setting the scene for us going 3 steps back, after the light at the end of the tunnel was in sight!

The problems for me with the Nightingale were partly too much focus time, energy and above all PR on it but that is was doomed to fail and they still pressed ahead.

You can't put in place infrastructure without putting appropriately qualified people there and they didn't have any and should have known that they wouldn't have any.

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, jparx said:

These people are idiots. I’m a simple man - if a Tory government shuts down the economy and says the virus is bad, I believe the virus is really fucking bad.

Not a conspiracy per se, but looking at the data against these anecdotal reports of hospitals being full of people in their 30’s, I think there’s widespread embellishment of the risk to younger people in order to encourage them to take it seriously and protect the vulnerable. 

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

These people are idiots. I’m a simple man - if a Tory government shuts down the economy and says the virus is bad, I believe the virus is really fucking bad.

This has been the stupidest part of the anti-lockdowners argument - "evil toRies are trying to ruin the economy!! Boris wants us locked donw 4 ever!"

Have they ever heard of the Tories, or Boris Johnson, before?

Edited by Mellotr0n

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

This has been the stupiestd part of the anti-lockdowners argument - "evil toRies are trying to ruin the economy!! Boris wants us locked donw 4 ever!"

Have they ever heard of the Tories, or Boris Johnson, before?

Well it’s just the same mentality as the QAnon dweebs in the the US. They have such little basic understanding that they cannot see the huge inconsistencies in their arguments. Again, it’s cultist behaviour, not a political viewpoint. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Well it’s just the same mentality as the QAnon dweebs in the the US. They have such little basic understanding that they cannot see the huge inconsistencies in their arguments. Again, it’s cultist behaviour, not a political viewpoint. 

The brutal irony of me misspelling the word stupidest in that last post...

"Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man."

• Like 1

Just now, Pipine said:

It appeared in my Twitter feed via our Director of Public Health.. sounds like a valid concern to me. 

Hopefully it’s just in a very small number which isn’t to say it isn’t concerning but hopefully not a sign of anything really bad. 

Just now, Pipine said:

It appeared in my Twitter feed via our Director of Public Health.. sounds like a valid concern to me. 

We knew people would continue to be infected within the first 21 days. Sounds like a few beyond 21 days, but they could well have been infected prior to the 21 days or so cut off. We're also talking about the most vulnerable, i.e. people with the worst immune systems, people in whom the vaccine's efficacy is going to be at it's weakest.

I don't quite understand how a doctor doesn't know all of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We've heard a lot about how the mRNA (and I think the modified adenovirus) vaccines could reformulated very quickly to deal with new variants that don't respond as well to current vaccines should they arise. These new variants have arisen - so are the new formulations being  developed now?  Has anyone heard if this is happening?

Howdy,

Both Moderna and BioNTech have said they are in the process of incorporating the new sequence changes in their vaccines. I have one of the leads from the Oxford team giving a talk for us in a few weeks, so I'll ask him what they are doing! (I presume they have already made it and are doing the pre-clinical testing in the lab). 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Hopefully it’s just in a very small number which isn’t to say it isn’t concerning but hopefully not a sign of anything really bad. 

Really hope so, my 73 yo clinically vulnerable parents haven’t been vaccinated yet and I just want to know they’re going to be ok once they’re fully vaccinated. 

Just now, Pipine said:

Really hope so, my 73 yo clinically vulnerable parents haven’t been vaccinated yet and I just want to know they’re going to be ok once they’re fully vaccinated. 

Yep I share concerns ... you should hear very soon about a date for them ... I did today for my parents both 73 ...   fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

We knew people would continue to be infected within the first 21 days. Sounds like a few beyond 21 days, but they could well have been infected prior to the 21 days or so cut off. We're also talking about the most vulnerable, i.e. people with the worst immune systems, people in whom the vaccine's efficacy is going to be at it's weakest.

I don't quite understand how a doctor doesn't know all of this.

... and we know that the (single dose) vaccine is only 70% effective anyway, so 30% of those who would have got Covid anyway and have been vaccinated will still get Covid, although the evidence suggests they wont suffer as badly as if they had not been vaccinated at all. Hopefully