When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

that is a very small proportion of supermarket workers these days .... but the other point is justified ..... I think the current outbreak we are having in my work is colleague to colleague that seems more risky than customers .... 

Yeah absolutely and you're right on the supermarket workers.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

that is a very small proportion of supermarket workers these days .... but the other point is justified ..... I think the current outbreak we are having in my work is colleague to colleague that seems more risky than customers .... 

My local Tesco seems to be on top of the non mask wearing staff now- not seen them for a couple of weeks (they're mainly working in the evenings when I go there - younger types so presumably around school/college in normal times.

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

How many people dead in three days? Even if the numbers start coming right down, that’s maybe 500 a day, so 1500. Then what proportion of those are teachers and what proportion are over 60s? 
I get what you are saying but it’s not “just 3 days” it’s a number of deaths. If we worked out that number we could start to make the argument on how many deaths our kids education is worth.

although it still doesn’t work out as the schools are closed to stop transmission, not protect teachers. Which raises the possibility that parents of school age kids could be the next priority group.

Obviously the schools can't reopen tomorrow, but with cases dropping at what point is community transmission low enough for them to open? We aren't waiting for zero COVID to reopen the schools surely? Current estimation for vaccinating all the vulnerable groups that is everyone over 50 and anyone with a serious underlying condition is end of April. If teachers aren't vaccinated by then are you saying schools should be closed until the May, probably mid-May to allow for the 2 weeks to take effect.

To reopen schools before May teachers have to be somewhere in tose priority groups or be sent back into schools unvaccinated. 

I don't have the answers by the way, but it isn't lunacy to be looking at this.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

My local Tesco seems to be on top of the non mask wearing staff now- not seen them for a couple of weeks (they're mainly working in the evenings when I go there - younger types so presumably around school/college in normal times.

there seems to have been a bit of a push since the big 4 announced that clampdown a few weeks back .... I cant speak for mine at the moment because im midway through 2 weeks off .... but a friend that works in a different store said that colleagues not wearing them were being sent home ... and the police  had become quite proactive in enforcement ins branch  issuing fines .... along with council spot checks .... how that replicates to other shops and if its a national thing im yet to hear ....

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Massive news. Thats 1 million people on Friday and Saturday combined.

I posted yesterday saying that if we can keep 450k consistent, we will have around 13m vaccinated a month.  Personally I think we should be hitting 600k-700k per day by spring with 3 vaccines in circulation and supply issues being a thing of the past. 

We should be fine for Mid summer. 

Just now, mcshed said:

Obviously the schools can't reopen tomorrow, but with cases dropping at what point is community transmission low enough for them to open? We aren't waiting for zero COVID to reopen the schools surely? Current estimation for vaccinating all the vulnerable groups that is everyone over 50 and anyone with a serious underlying condition is end of April. If teachers aren't vaccinated by then are you saying schools should be closed until the May, probably mid-May to allow for the 2 weeks to take effect.

To reopen schools before May teachers have to be somewhere in tose priority groups or be sent back into schools unvaccinated. 

I don't have the answers by the way, but it isn't lunacy to be looking at this.

Just as a matter of interest, here’s the close contact testing data and positivity rates in Ireland for the last 2 weeks of November and the first two of December. Pretty clear schools aren’t major drivers of exponential growth (though still a source of onward transmission), but with cases high, anywhere has to potential to prolong infection rates (the caveat here is that the UK variant didn’t have a foothold in Ireland at this stage)...cases didn’t go down when the schools shut, household mixing and social contact increased substantially over the following few weeks, hence the highest infection rate in the world in early January...now community transmission is under better control but we have a problem in healthcare (with over a third of cases in healthcare settings at the moment). J&J roll out could coincide with schools going back (hearing rumours that some doses could be delivered in April, pending approval), which might be a solution since probably better to hold on the higher efficacy vaccines for more vulnerable anyway...like everything else over the last year, it’s a complex balancing act!

image.thumb.jpeg.4447cb888729d22c640130badb57d843.jpeg

Fair play to the NHS and other agencies that are getting these numbers of 'jabs in arms' as Bojo calls it.

Pretty proud of everyone involved, especially you lot on here who are volunteering etc.

Keep it up and let's get back to normal by end of summer please! x

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

You’re correct in that there wasn’t a large number of over 70s in the trial reported, so they can’t say for sure, however, all the evidence so far suggests that will be the case. What we see in trials and what we see when billions of people have had it might be slightly different, but remember, there will be loads more vaccinated/immune people in the population at that stage too compared to when the trials were run, so that too helps to protect each other (even if the vaccines don’t completely stop transmission, there’s safety in numbers!). Most importantly, so far, nobody who has had the AZ shot has ended up in hospital with COVID, and the safety of the vaccine looks good too, and those really are the important things. Until more people are vaccinated, I would be careful and keep doing things that you were doing for the next while, we’re on the way out of this, just another bit to go...but the days are getting brighter, literally and figuratively!

Thank you for the reassurance! Yes I've no plans to see her any time soon, but just wanted to square this up with what's happening in Europe with over 65s and the AZ. I like your confidence though! 

Someone posted this reply to me on twitter when I was saying about EU commission being slow compared to UK in vaccine procurement...

Had the EU not handled procurement, big, rich countries now would be better off, while small, poor countries would be much worse. EU joint procurement was slow because they had to accomodate 27 different governments. Had the EU been a federation it would have been much faster.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

For me. thats the most important table there is in determining the order of who gets vaccinated and in what order. Its quite an eye opener as it shows the rewards from vaccinating each group, its incredible to think that vaccinating just 20 people in a care home would save one life (assuming the vaccinations is 100% effective) Its also the table which should be referred to when determining when restrictions can start to be lifted, in terms of risks (deaths and hospitalisations) versus reward (to mental health, the economy, etc)

Is there a more up to date version of this, as its a couple pf months out of date now, and it would be interesting to see if those percentages are broadly the same now, especially with the new variant, and on the face of it more younger people people hospitalised recently

Also it starkly highlights the moral issue to me, we could vaccinate 47000 in group 10 here and save one life, or we could give those 47000 vaccines to another country with a Covid problem and  no vaccine and save 940 people in their care homes (assuming they have the infrastructure to vaccinate like we do)

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

For me. thats the most important table there is in determining the order of who gets vaccinated and in what order. Its quite an eye opener as it shows the rewards from vaccinating each group, its incredible to think that vaccinating just 20 people in a care home would save one life (assuming the vaccinations is 100% effective) Its also the table which should be referred to when determining when restrictions can start to be lifted, in terms of risks (deaths and hospitalisations) versus reward (to mental health, the economy, etc)

Is there a more up to date version of this, as its a couple pf months out of date now, and it would be interesting to see if those percentages are broadly the same now, especially with the new variant, and on the face of it more younger people people hospitalised recently

Also it starkly highlights the moral issue to me, we could vaccinate 47000 in group 10 here and save one life, or we could give those 47000 vaccines to another country with a Covid problem and  no vaccine and save 940 people in their care homes (assuming they have the infrastructure to vaccinate like we do)

It also suggests that after we have vaccinated all the over 65s then deaths should in theory drop by 93% (assuming vaccination is 100% effective but we know it to be only 70% effective after 1st jab at the moment, although they are very effective in preventing deaths)