When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Hope those who are were having a down day yesterday can see that the government have repeatedly said that summer will be much more normal. Keep those chins up.

Hancock at it again this morning, I hope we can all be in agreement that things will be significantly different than they are now in the next 6 months.

Hell yeah! The summer is going to be much different and better than how things are now. To be fair to Hancock he’s correct with what he says there.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Hope those who are were having a down day yesterday can see that the government have repeatedly said that summer will be much more normal. Keep those chins up.

Hancock at it again this morning, I hope we can all be in agreement that things will be significantly different than they are now in the next 6 months.

yeah well, government have said a lot of things.

Just now, steviewevie said:

if we could go back in time...what would we do...? Close all borders and trace any cases I guess.

Change the messaging at the beginning, don’t play down the virus, talk about it seriously and hopefully we could save some lives through that.

Also don’t release COVID patients into care home. 

In broader terms, I guess this pandemic has given the world the shake up it needed to take these type of things more seriously.
I’m sure next time there is a pandemic (hopefully not any time soon!) but I’m confident it will be dealt with quickly and efficiently e.g. a global 2 week lockdown. It won’t seem so alien to do this after what we’ve been through this past year.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Change the messaging at the beginning, don’t play down the virus, talk about it seriously and hopefully we could save some lives through that.

Also don’t release COVID patients into care home. 

Yeah. Not many took it seriously at this stage to be honest.

I remember going to a meeting with work in mid February and COVID wasn’t even mentioned.

2 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I remember going to a meeting with work in mid February and COVID wasn’t even mentioned.

I was guilty of that too, I thought it would pass like Swine Flu. 

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

In broader terms, I guess this pandemic has given the world the shake up it needed to take these type of things more seriously.
I’m sure next time there is a pandemic (hopefully not any time soon!) but I’m confident it will be dealt with quickly and efficiently e.g. a global 2 week lockdown. It won’t seem so alien to do this after what we’ve been through this past year.

I think many scientists worry with a growing human population and with global warming pandemics are going to become more frequent...although they may not all be as bad as this one. Maybe they're a way of limiting the human population...

Edited by steviewevie

18 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

At my work last Feb we were told to plan for 1/3rd to 1/2 our staff being ill or unable to work due to caring responsibilities at any one time.  But we were given the impression it would be a short-lived disruption, eg 3 months or so.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

They’ve listed exactly where the identified case has been for the last 6 days and how long / what time they spent there. You have to get a test if you were there at the same time.

Another extra measure compared to our current lockdown is that they are only allowed out to exercise for one hour a day.

They don’t mess around over there do they, fair play.

Yeah we have that rule for testing plus you have to isolate until your test returns negative. During our highest two lockdowns you can't be out further than 5km from your house and you constantly have to be moving (I.e. you can't stop for a picnic or sit on the beach). No time limit though. No takeaways are open during the highest level and you have to designate one person in your household to be your grocery shopper, even if you're in a flatting situation where you all buy your own food.

It's strict but it works. It also makes people extremely careful because it fucking sucks.

2 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Yeah we have that rule for testing plus you have to isolate until your test returns negative. During our highest two lockdowns you can't be out further than 5km from your house and you constantly have to be moving (I.e. you can't stop for a picnic or sit on the beach). No time limit though. No takeaways are open during the highest level and you have to designate one person in your household to be your grocery shopper, even if you're in a flatting situation where you all buy your own food.

It's strict but it works. It also makes people extremely careful because it fucking sucks.

What was the general feeling in the country towards those restrictions? I take it compliance was high?

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

if we could go back in time...what would we do...? Close all borders and trace any cases I guess.

- Messaging (Johnson saying he's shaking everyone hands was madness at the time even more so in hindsight)

- Lockdown hard and fast. We delayed for too long (TBH we delayed each and every time) 

- Controlled borders a la Oz and NZ 

- No eat out to help put 

- Better track and trace 

I have a question for @Toilet Duck please! My mum had the AZ vaccine yesterday and was told the following: "Astra Zeneca, will be about 70% safe in 2 weeks, and have another jab 12 weeks time then u will be 90%  safe" (quoting verbatim!). She is over 70 so just wondering how the vaccination team are able to give this level of confidence when the AZ study hasn't got enough evidence for over 65s? They must be pretty sure about its efficacy to be telling people that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Isn’t there roughly 950k teachers in the UK in public education so in theory if they are very well organised they could get them vaccinated in 3 or so days, which wouldn’t take delay others getting their vaccines by too much.

I realise it probably isn’t as simple as that but it might not be that much of a problem?

How many people dead in three days? Even if the numbers start coming right down, that’s maybe 500 a day, so 1500. Then what proportion of those are teachers and what proportion are over 60s? 
I get what you are saying but it’s not “just 3 days” it’s a number of deaths. If we worked out that number we could start to make the argument on how many deaths our kids education is worth.

although it still doesn’t work out as the schools are closed to stop transmission, not protect teachers. Which raises the possibility that parents of school age kids could be the next priority group.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I know what you mean, personally I was looking in horror as it spread across the territories in China given the mass movement of people during CNY.. then we had Italy/Spain yet folks at work didn't really discuss it much until March.

We had our annual conference in Liverpool late Feb (which had me a bit worried) and remember having a chat with one of the DC guys on the way back and telling him Covid is already here and spreading but let's hope our health care system could cope. Even though I could see the storm coming and probably following a lot more than my colleagues, I still would not have anticipated such a fall out!!

Personally I'm struggling to see the end point as it won't just some at all of us being vaccinated and out of lockdown, until the rest of the world catches up - which outside this forum in general joe public land people really don't fully appreciate or even worse, care 😞 

11 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Me too!! I remember saying see you in June to my friend at the stereophonics gig in March!!

Last gig 7th March The Sister of Mercy, fella said he'd never seen so many blokes was their hands apparently even queuing for soap! seems like forever a go 😞 

Genuinely can’t see the argument for vaccinating teachers ahead of supermarket workers: both groups put themselves at risk with many contacts every day but one of those groups are being allowed to stay home and one has to go into work.

Few things are more New Labour than prioritising the upper working/middle classes in “worthy” professions over those on minimum wage.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Genuinely can’t see the argument for vaccinating teachers ahead of supermarket workers: both groups put themselves at risk with many contacts every day but one of those groups are being allowed to stay home and one has to go into work.

Few things are more New Labour than prioritising the upper working/middle classes in “worthy” professions over those on minimum wage.

I suppose one argument is that teachers have more prolonged contact with their 'customers' than do supermarket workers, increasing risk, and another is that supermarket workers can work behind a screen, which teachers can't (or at least checkout staff can).

19 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

How many people dead in three days? Even if the numbers start coming right down, that’s maybe 500 a day, so 1500. Then what proportion of those are teachers and what proportion are over 60s? 
I get what you are saying but it’s not “just 3 days” it’s a number of deaths. If we worked out that number we could start to make the argument on how many deaths our kids education is worth.

although it still doesn’t work out as the schools are closed to stop transmission, not protect teachers. Which raises the possibility that parents of school age kids could be the next priority group.

Good point about the deaths, I didn’t think about that and as you say it isn’t as simple as 3 days to vaccinate. 

28 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I have a question for @Toilet Duck please! My mum had the AZ vaccine yesterday and was told the following: "Astra Zeneca, will be about 70% safe in 2 weeks, and have another jab 12 weeks time then u will be 90%  safe" (quoting verbatim!). She is over 70 so just wondering how the vaccination team are able to give this level of confidence when the AZ study hasn't got enough evidence for over 65s? They must be pretty sure about its efficacy to be telling people that.

You’re correct in that there wasn’t a large number of over 70s in the trial reported, so they can’t say for sure, however, all the evidence so far suggests that will be the case. What we see in trials and what we see when billions of people have had it might be slightly different, but remember, there will be loads more vaccinated/immune people in the population at that stage too compared to when the trials were run, so that too helps to protect each other (even if the vaccines don’t completely stop transmission, there’s safety in numbers!). Most importantly, so far, nobody who has had the AZ shot has ended up in hospital with COVID, and the safety of the vaccine looks good too, and those really are the important things. Until more people are vaccinated, I would be careful and keep doing things that you were doing for the next while, we’re on the way out of this, just another bit to go...but the days are getting brighter, literally and figuratively!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

and another is that supermarket workers can work behind a screen,

that is a very small proportion of supermarket workers these days .... but the other point is justified ..... I think the current outbreak we are having in my work is colleague to colleague that seems more risky than customers ....