When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I would have like to have seen the UK gvt step in and send some vaccines to Portugal and Spain the other day, so they didn't have to cancel arranged vaccinations (especially considering Portugal's rates of infecting etc) - small, basic stuff like that is easy to do (I suspect we have some spare vaccines built up). 

However, this pandemic has seen great international scientific endeavours let down by 'every country for itself' politics, that just screws over everyone. 

It’s very sad isn’t it, you’d have thought a pandemic would drive countries to work together more wouldn’t you from the political point of view. 

Just now, zahidf said:

It isn't that simple as 'here have ours' when we have vulnerable people in our country who need it asap

If we have spare, I'd rather share it than hoarde it (I get the impression we're not short, it's just the actual administering it that's limiting the speed of vaccinations (though I could be wrong!) - if you can save oap's in Portugal rather than have an ever increasing stockpile sitting on a shelf, I'd rather do that. Though, like I said I haven't been keeping tabs on what the uks vaccine amounts is at the moment! 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I would have like to have seen the UK gvt step in and send some vaccines to Portugal and Spain the other day, so they didn't have to cancel arranged vaccinations (especially considering Portugal's rates of infecting etc) - small, basic stuff like that is easy to do (I suspect we have some spare vaccines built up). 

However, this pandemic has seen great international scientific endeavours let down by 'every country for itself' politics, that just screws over everyone. 

Why would/ should the Uk send vaccines to Spain/ Portugal? It has nothing to do with us at all. We are no longer in the EU but there are 27 countries there who can look out for each other.

When it comes to vaccine diplomacy, we are paying a lot into Covax and that is a good thing. When we are done with the bulk of our vaccines I'd like us to focus on helping out less developing nations, not the already rich ones.

Just now, steviewevie said:

maybe it's to placate teachers who are fearful of returning to work next month...and the unions who represent them.

But the government are keeping schools closed due to the obvious transmission in the virus when schools are open. That is evident with the damage done by them returning for just one day at the beginning of January. With cases and deaths still so high, it isn’t the right time yet for schools to reopen - regardless if the teachers are vaccinated or not. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

But the government are keeping schools closed due to the obvious transmission in the virus when schools are open. That is evident with the damage done by them returning for just one day at the beginning of January. With cases and deaths still so high, it isn’t the right time yet for schools to reopen - regardless if the teachers are vaccinated or not. 

No, is he calling for them to be open earlier than March 8th?

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Not necessarily agreeing with the post, just giving you a green to get you off 666!

(there is more to opening schools than vaccinating staff alright)

Ha thanks!

There was a poll saying 70% of voters want teachers vaccinated so schools won't close again. I'm guessing its populist rather than science based from him

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

I honestly don’t get why he keeps banging on about this - thought he was supposed to be super intelligent? 

For bizarre reasons, which I don't get, they were fuming with Rebecca Long-Bailey 'making it look like labour were siding with the teaching unions' when she was opposing opening schools back when she was education shadow minister. After they got shot of her, Starmer 'strategists' briefed to some paper that 'never again must it look like labour are opposing children returning to school and being educated and siding with the teaching unions over that' or some such backfiring nonsense. 

Don't understand it at all, because public sentiment seems to be very cautious about hasty returns to school, as is the science. 

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It seems very odd to be telling you of all people that a situation isn't that extreme, but this literally is a life and death situation. That's why things are so tense, if the EU is unable to get enough vaccines, then people will die.

It's not an existential threat to the EU if that's what you mean? But it is life and death.

Probably right - what I mean is if the healthcare system in the Eu was on its utter knees be and thousands of lives were at imminent risk then yes. The U.K. should do something.

But AZ and the Eu will sort it out. The EU are just doing what they have always done. Be fierce in negotiations - and wait until the last minute to fold.

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why would/ should the Uk send vaccines to Spain/ Portugal? It has nothing to do with us at all. We are no longer in the EU but there are 27 countries there who can look out for each other.

I think it was gil Scott heron who said his gran use to say "life's tough, so If you can help someone, why not?"

Edited by Mr.Tease

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think it was gil Scott heron who said his gran use to say "If you can help someone, why not?"

Why Spain and Portugal? Why not the Phillipines for example.

Also we can't help them, we have to be focused on getting our oldies done. We already have a tight enough supply as is.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

For bizarre reasons, which I don't get, they were fuming with Rebecca Long-Bailey 'making it look like labour were siding with the teaching unions' when she was opposing opening schools back when she was education shadow minister. After they got shot of her, Starmer 'strategists' briefed to some paper that 'never again must it look like labour are opposing children returning to school and being educated and siding with the teaching unions over that' or some such backfiring nonsense. 

Don't understand it at all, because public sentiment seems to be very cautious about hasty returns to school, as is the science. 

Interesting - didn’t know that but would certainly explain his bizarre stance on this. If schools were to reopen at this point or in the coming weeks, there would be thousands of avoidable deaths to follow.

The issue with schools isn't so much about the teachers being vaccinated, its more about kids spreading it to each other and then to their families. And then the resultant pressure on hospitals and deaths. If we can minimise this pressure, by vaccinating all the elderly and vulnerable first then yes start thinking about getting schools back. And then manage the spread as much as possible in schools with testing, bubbles, etc. 

Starmer has scored an own goal there, as the inevitable response will be which vulnerable or elderly group should have their vaccination delayed to allow teachers to vaccinated first