When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

So Macron has said...

“The real problem with AstraZeneca is just that it doesn’t work as expected, because we have very little information,”

Mr Macron said he was not privy to any new data but added: “Today everything suggests that it is almost ineffective for those over 65, and some say over 60.”

The first paragraph is self-contradictory isn't it, how can you says it doesn't work as expected when you don't have enough information to draw that conclusion?

And the second paragraph is just not true is it? The data didn't show that at all from what I saw, there just wasn't enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions from it I thought, or have I missed something?

6 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

So Macron has said...

“The real problem with AstraZeneca is just that it doesn’t work as expected, because we have very little information,”

Mr Macron said he was not privy to any new data but added: “Today everything suggests that it is almost ineffective for those over 65, and some say over 60.”

The first paragraph is self-contradictory isn't it, how can you says it doesn't work as expected when you don't have enough information to draw that conclusion?

And the second paragraph is just not true is it? The data didn't show that at all from what I saw, there just wasn't enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions from it I thought, or have I missed something?

Macron's comments and the whole french vaccine rollout is a complete disaster 

Edited by zahidf

7 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

So Macron has said...

No, you haven't missed anything. There is no data that suggests that it's ineffective over 60/65. There is very little data saying it is effective, but here is lots of data saying it is effective for under 65s and there is also data saying that the immune response in over 65s is the same as under 65s...put two and two together and it's probably fine (hence the MHRA and the EMA have both not put an upper age limit on use). Later trials may well either support that position or change it, but it's entirely incorrect to say it is ineffective for older adults. Politicians really should stay out of it and just focus on getting the support professionals need to get people vaccinated. 

Edited by Toilet Duck
loads of typos!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

So Macron has said...

Positively Trumpian that. Very disappointing.

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

So Macron has said...

Disappointing from a world leader. Not a stupid man like Trump either.

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

No, you haven't missed anything. There is no data that suggests that it ineffective over 60/65. The is very little data saying it is effective, but here is lots of data saying it is effective for under 65s and there its also data saying that the immune response in over 65s is the same as under 65s...put two and two together and it's probably fine (hence the MHRA and the EMA have both not put an upper age limit on use). Later trials may well either support that position or change it, but it's entirely incorrect to say it is ineffective for older adults. Politicians really should stay out of it and just focus on getting the support professionals need to get people vaccinated. 

Thanks, there is also very little data saying to say its not effective. (cant recall exact numbers but roughly 1/350 of the control group got infected versus 1/350 in the vaccinated group) As you say, these politicians need to keep out of it, comments like these just put doubts in peoples heads when we need as many vaccinated and as quickly as possible and we need to maintain the UKs current very high level of public confidence in the vaccination process

26 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So just over a 25% reduction week by week basis?

Fingers crossed the rate of reduction is more next week

Case numbers have gone up consistently the last few days now. Weren't we at just over 20,000 cases 3 or 4 days ago..? Is it just a backlog maybe?

22 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Combined vaccinations + positive tests mean there are currently at least 11 million people in the UK with some form of protection against the virus doesn't it?

Therefore about 17% of the population?

15% of the population has had a vaccine dose. So possibly more than 17%!

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’s just hyperbole so put the pressure on AZ. I’d be surprised if they actually did it. 

Given that the UK is likely to have excess vaccine as soon as July, and theoretically enough to vaccinate half of the EU by the end of the year, even after vaccinating every adult UK citizen, it'd be massively short-term thinking to start playing vaccine protectionism right now. 

25 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

So Macron has said...

managing his own position and population there surely? "We can't get it but it doesn't matter, its shit anyway" -he's only talking about that specific vaccine, not the only one they can currently use on their people

Maybe one for @Toilet Duck, but following on from the Macron comments, has there ever been a vaccine that's been 70%+ effective in younger people then just barely works at all for those 65+ ? I can imagine certain vaccines having a drop off as age increase, or being unsafe for an older demographic, but just suddenly not working seems crazy - is there some precedent for that I'm missing?