When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

1) Given the volume of opinion in AZ's favour (is there any which sides with the EU?) I'm inclined to sit on that side of the fence.

2) I used the word potentially.

I think it's time you took your EU tinted spectacles off.  

It's too soon to judge and that moment will come.

My last link was to a lawyer arguing the EU had a weak case contractually , hardly something someone completely partisan would post.

And you said contractually it's proven. It's not. There are many lawyers stating the EU has a case.

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not quite. That particular Belgian lawyer and that particular English lawyer thinks AZ has the stronger case.

It's a sample of two.

37 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

But they say what I want to hear, therefore = 100% proof! 😉(modern day internet logic)

You should be a journalist for Handelsblatt Mr Tease  😆

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

This - hopefully. I think it may just be a bit of face saving to show to the EU member states that another country can’t come along, offer more money and potentially ‘jump the queue’ on existing orders

But how can someone 'jump the queue' if, as the EU argue, they don't recognise the principle of 'first come, first served' (except for in a butchers shop). 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My kids school are going to have mock exams still next month, but they do them at home with camera on so they can be watched to make sure not cheating! 😄

How to cheat -

Attach an external monitor and keyboard not in view of the camera.

6 minutes ago, vans said:

Why are the figures generally lower this week? Struggling to google an answer.

i think for the last two weeks, doing the NHS staff in the hospital vaccination centres has been extremely easy - loads of us are already there, breeze thru the process, straight in and out and back to work. But they're predominantly done now. 

Its when other community people have to get there, struggle thru the process, it can slow down a bit - with the greatest of respect to the people in their 70's and above, they aren't always the quickest to get up and get around.  Big generalisation, but fair! 

When the next cohort open, and the vaccine supply is more reliably consistent and less bumpy, we'll be back up to over half a million a day again. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My kids school are going to have mock exams still next month, but they do them at home with camera on so they can be watched to make sure not cheating! 😄

This is madness, surely you could just put posters up either side of the camera/on the walls, etc and look at them whilst 'pondering'.

49 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

You pretty much answered a question I'd literally just come on here to ask you as it makes logical sense but I wasn't sure. Just to clarify then is the existing immune system a factor in how well the vaccine works? So for the people at lower risk of hospitalisation and even lower risk of death (and more chance of genuinely mild symptoms even without a vaccine) should a 66% vaccine help us kick it quicker and spread it less  alongside our natural responses, while keeping us out of hospital, whereas people with worse immune systems (already done by then anyway) would be best with a higher percentage?

Essentially what I'm asking is do you think even this one dose regime if it doesn't change could be the answer to us opening up for younger people, when it arrives,without having to wait for the booster? 

In general, your immune system weakens as you get older (and it's also not fully developed when you are young, hence, the age groups prioritised for flu shots, for example, are old and young). A vaccine with 66% efficacy of preventing symptomatic disease is useful (in any age group, but if you have one that is 95% then you may as well use that for the higher risk individuals since supply is limited anyway)...but one that prevents 100% of severe disease (like this one) is pretty much all we need. Under 45s for example have a low risk of being hospitalised with severe disease, but if we were to completely open everything up and let everyone under 45 get naturally infected, uncontrolled spread could still overwhelm hospitals (it was always the caveat I included on opening up and what morbidity could be like in this group was the big unknown question...I think given the fact that under 45s have had higher caseload than older adults, there's probably a degree of natural immunity in that group anyway, coupled to the fact that others (especially those with co-morbidities) will be vaccinated, added on top of the fact that by that time it will be summer, then it might not turn out that way). However, being able to pretty much rule it out with a 1 dose vaccine in this group would mean we didn't have to guess, we'd have pretty strong evidence that it wouldn't happen. Its a really useful addition to the repertoire of vaccines we have. The option of/requirement for a booster shot will become clear once the 2 shot trials of the J&J vaccine are reported (I see @stuartbert two hats is asking that question below yours, and yes, I'd expect the decision to bring people back for a second dose will depend on whether there is a significant benefit to that...might even be a second dose with an updated version later on to combat new variants). But the current properties of the 1 shot vaccine are good enough to get younger people vaccinated quickly and get things moving again.