When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, rascalpete said:

ps. I have my interview with St. John’s, any advice?

Is this as a vaccinator or a patient advocate? I had a video interview for the latter on Monday and was fine - took 10 minutes maybe and the woman doing it was very nice. They just asked me the questions they'd sent in advance so there was time to prepare. Good luck! 

I'm on the online training section now which I'm doing in bits and bobs around work. Then it's the face to face training, hopefully soon!

Seen on the news today I should be getting a jab as part of it - wasn't why I signed up but a nice little bonus! By the time I start I would imagine a good chunk of the most vulnerable will have been done so don't feel too bad about jumping the queue... especially if they often have some left over.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

So I have had some good personal news today regarding vaccine - I am participating in the J&J ensemble 2 trial and had my jab on 7th Jan. Since then I have been offered an approved vaccine (I volunteer for a an NHS Trust counselling service) and I spoke to the J&J team who unblinded me. I was pretty certain I had the placebo as I had zero symptoms/reactions to the jab. As it turns out I have had an ‘active’ dose. The first jab of this trial is apparently the same dose as that used in the single jab trial in the US that is about to report. Where the J&J guys are confident it is has as good as or better results than Oxford/ AZ and only need one jab. So putting aside the very good news I have had a vaccine, I need to decide whether to take up the opportunity to have what will be second jab that has been offered.  Ethically I thought that I should leave that for someone who has not yet had a jab. However in talking to the doc on the ensemble trial she said that I could have a second jab from a different supplier (in my case it will likely be Pfizer) and that would help the trials people gather data on the mix and match approach to vaccination doses. There is very limited evidence out there right now on this. I have a week to decide what to do. 

what do you think?

@SophieBeeand @duke88 I know you are in ensemble. Thought you might find this interesting. 

Do it. You're less likely to be an infection vector with that extra shot.

I’m working in a Germany at the moment and they are apparently about to announce a ban on all travel from the UK. The suspicion is that this will stay in place until around Easter. After which it will drop back to essential travel only well into May or June. 

Certain masks are now a requirement here as well, which will again steadily change over a few months once levels reduce. I think the idea of holidays abroad this year is pie in the sky. Festivals could happen but only for locals and at reduced capacities. It’s plausible acts could travel to play abroad. Indoor gigs have got to be mid 2022 though. 

On the plus side a couple of the crew that work with me have just flown to Tokyo to start work on the Olympics. So there’s still hope! 

Edited by The Crimson King

23 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

I Just put it down to stress, it was the first time I’d given blood and I’d really stressed myself out about it but yeah it could have been the vaccine. My partner had had the Oxford jab through work that weekend and it took her out for days and I just compared myself to that I guess.

Your reaction sounds exactly like mine. The other thing I'd say is that although you have given a sample of blood, you can't describe that as giving blood. They probably took 10ml at most.

Good for you though, keep in touch if you want, we're both in the same boat by the sounds of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

I’m working in a Germany at the moment and they are apparently about to announce a ban on all travel from the UK. The suspicion is that this will stay in place until around Easter. After which it will drop back to essential travel only well into May or June. 

Certain masks are now a requirement here as well, which will again steadily change over a few months once levels reduce. I think the idea of holidays abroad this year is pie in the sky. Festivals could happen but only for locals and at reduced capacities. It’s plausible acts could travel to play abroad. Indoor gigs have got to be mid 2022 though. 

On the plus side a couple of the crew that work with me have just flown to Tokyo to start work on the Olympics. So there’s still hope! 

Japan needs to start vaccinating!

Also - what's the reporting been like over there regarding AstraZeneca etc.?

11 minutes ago, km9 said:

Your reaction sounds exactly like mine. The other thing I'd say is that although you have given a sample of blood, you can't describe that as giving blood. They probably took 10ml at most.

Good for you though, keep in touch if you want, we're both in the same boat by the sounds of it.

Yeah they take like 470ml when you give blood I think! A decent bagful.

16 minutes ago, km9 said:

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah they take like 470ml when you give blood I think! A decent bagful.

Yeah sorry guys my bad terminology and meant no disservice to people to give the bags full, needle in my arm taking a sample

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Is this as a vaccinator or a patient advocate? I had a video interview for the latter on Monday and was fine - took 10 minutes maybe and the woman doing it was very nice. They just asked me the questions they'd sent in advance so there was time to prepare. Good luck! 

I'm on the online training section now which I'm doing in bits and bobs around work. Then it's the face to face training, hopefully soon!

Seen on the news today I should be getting a jab as part of it - wasn't why I signed up but a nice little bonus! By the time I start I would imagine a good chunk of the most vulnerable will have been done so don't feel too bad about jumping the queue... especially if they often have some left over.

Cheers for that, it’s the patient advocate so thanks for the heads up on the format and the mapping to the questions sent :).

Good luck with the volunteering and the training.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, km9 said:

Same here. Had it on Wednesday morning. Fine all day then headache / temperature all night. In fact that's why I'm awake now, I went to bed yesterday evening at 7 to make up for lack of sleep on Wednesday night. Feel fine now but would put money on having had the real vaccine.

1 hour ago, rascalpete said:

I’m pretty sure I had the placebo too, that night I felt a bit groggy with a headache and woke up with a mad temp/fever in the middle of the night, straight back to sleep and fine again in the morn. Had the jab last Tuesday and yesterday was the first day my arm has not been in discomfort. Fingers crossed you guys had the vax!

ps. I have my interview with St. John’s, any advice?

The doc who called me when I unblinded told me that she had had conversations with lots of people  who had been convinced they had placebo like me who had the active dose, and vice versa many who were convinced they had the active because of how they felt post jab. She said it was the strangest trial she had been involved in because of the overall circumstances. 

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do it. You're less likely to be an infection vector with that extra shot.

Yep I think you are right. Pfizer jab ahoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to level the charge against the Tories for cronyism, given so much evidence for this.

That they favour their mates is not mutually incompatible with some of the appointees being competent for the roles.

9 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

So I have had some good personal news today regarding vaccine - I am participating in the J&J ensemble 2 trial and had my jab on 7th Jan. Since then I have been offered an approved vaccine (I volunteer for a an NHS Trust counselling service) and I spoke to the J&J team who unblinded me. I was pretty certain I had the placebo as I had zero symptoms/reactions to the jab. As it turns out I have had an ‘active’ dose. The first jab of this trial is apparently the same dose as that used in the single jab trial in the US that is about to report. Where the J&J guys are confident it is has as good as or better results than Oxford/ AZ and only need one jab. So putting aside the very good news I have had a vaccine, I need to decide whether to take up the opportunity to have what will be second jab that has been offered.  Ethically I thought that I should leave that for someone who has not yet had a jab. However in talking to the doc on the ensemble trial she said that I could have a second jab from a different supplier (in my case it will likely be Pfizer) and that would help the trials people gather data on the mix and match approach to vaccination doses. There is very limited evidence out there right now on this. I have a week to decide what to do. 

what do you think?

@SophieBeeand @duke88 I know you are in ensemble. Thought you might find this interesting. 

Wow, that's super interesting thanks, and on a personal note a nice thing to hear as I also had zero reaction - while I know this doesn't change the odds at all, it does mean that I am no longer convinced that it was deffo the placebo that I had. It's an interesting dilemma for you. We were offered the chance of a vaccine through my work as well (while not NHS, I work for an organisation that supports improvement work in NHS settings). I opted to decline, as there weren't many available and I've been able to do all of my work from home, whereas there are others in my team who do have had to go into hospitals. If I was in a frontfacing role like yours then I may well have made a different decision.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to level the charge against the Tories for cronyism, given so much evidence for this.

That they favour their mates is not mutually incompatible with some of the appointees being competent for the roles.

Oh its more a crack at the fox murderer for being wrong about Bingham

He should probably keep away from vaccine procurement.