When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Not having a go at you at all but the fact that you have to consciously consider trying to include those sensuality, gender, ages and ethnicities tells you what is wrong. Its still not natural to think its an irrelevance to even consider those issues that demonstrates its still embedded deep down in societies brain. It seems its almost like a list of boxes we have to tick before publishing things. Doesn't mean the prejudices aren't still there, they are, the fact that we have to consider them in the first place is the problem

Representation matters, a lot.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Tweet of article from August. Hoping to deliver "as soon as Q1". Someone else has posted videos showing the factory isn't complete yet. So Q2 at the earliest, I reckon.

Good news that. If I have this right, Fuji Dio are making the 'antigen component' so does that mean that someone somewhere else will be making it up into a vaccine ready for filling etc? Not really clear as far as I can see.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, xxialac said:
For deaths and hospitalisations it will clearly be a far, far better year.

Seriously?

Because there's still over 11 months of the year left, and cases are now starting to dropping, most of our extremely vulnerable people are now vaccinated and pretty much the whole at-risk-of-hospitalisation population will have been vaccinated by the Summer?

You are deluded. Deaths have doubled since November, the situation is the worst it has been since the beginning. Vaccines will not stop this pandemic, they help but they will not end it. 

your statement that  this year will clearly be a far far better year is based in hope and desperation, nothing more. 

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

You are deluded. Deaths have doubled since November, the situation is the worst it has been since the beginning. Vaccines will not stop this pandemic, they help but they will not end it. 

your statement that  this year will clearly be a far far better year is based in hope and desperation, nothing more. 

November and December aren’t this year?

Surely the availability of four/five different vaccines, and over 10% of the population having already been vaccinated by January is a pretty good indication of a better year than the previous one? 

4 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I’m not entirely sure that’s fair. Vaccines will be a big contributor in is exiting the pandemic with more and more people getting some form of protection from the virus every day. More vaccines coming online through the year along with other treatments as well. Testing is improving as is our general understanding of the virus and what we can do to mitigate the effects of it. That’s even before we take into account a government that doesn’t want to be restricting the population like they are, they’ll want to reopen the country as we go into the summer. Therefore I don’t think it’s desperation to say this year will be better than the last.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I think it's like an interim period of trying to have better more inclusive representation on purpose until it becomes natural. But that's just my view.

Totally agree with this, thats my point, just I probably expressed it badly. We just shouldn't even consider someone's sexulaity, race, age, gender at all in anything we do, it should be totally irrelevant. The fact we do still highlights how far society has to go to be truly inclusive and appreciative of each other 

9 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I think you may be underestimating just how formidable these vaccines seem to be. 

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Totally agree with this, thats my point, just I probably expressed it badly. We just shouldn't even consider someone's sexulaity, race, age, gender at all in anything we do, it should be totally irrelevant. The fact we do still highlights how far society has to go to be truly inclusive and appreciative of each other 

Yes that's true too. But at the moment I do still think it's necessary.

All kind of off topic anyway, so back to the vaccines...

39 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Really depends on how long it takes them to get their submission ready and then how straightforward the data is. If it’s Pfizer simple, then it should be fairly quick! 

How soon after these results are participants likely to find out whether they’ve had a vaccine or the placebo? Not that I’m desperate to find out or anything 😂

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

How soon after these results are participants likely to find out whether they’ve had a vaccine or the placebo? Not that I’m desperate to find out or anything 😂

Alas, I don’t know. All of the trials have said they would inform participants if the git the placebo so that they could go ahead and get vaccinated, but I haven’t seen precise schedules for when they aim to do that. Maybe some of those that participated in the other trials might have an idea.

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Personally I think it's like an interim period of trying to have better more inclusive representation on purpose until it becomes natural. But that's just my view.

In this case it's not really about inclusive representation, it's just crazy to me that no one said "why are only women doing the housework and childcare in 2020?"

Why assume they're women? They could be long-haired men or transgender. I'm joking of course but the point is valid, they are stereotypical images because WE make assumptions about images. How would you represent a gay man or a lesbian single mother in an image like this without resorting to a perceived "typical" view of that particular minority. Dingbat's point was valid, we shouldn't have to analyse every image to check that it conforms to an acceptable view, ironically it could well be the person who made this was trying to be more "inclusive" by featuring more women than men.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Alas, I don’t know. All of the trials have said they would inform participants if the git the placebo so that they could go ahead and get vaccinated, but I haven’t seen precise schedules for when they aim to do that. Maybe some of those that participated in the other trials might have an idea.

Thanks, yes I’ve been told that I’ll be given a real vaccine at the end of the trial if I’ve had a placebo. Or if I get a letter to say I’m due a vaccine from the NHS before then, they’ll let me know. 
I’d kind of like to have this one if I have had a placebo having been part of it so far!

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Janssen we have to call them when we are offered the vaccine then they will unblind us. If we have had the vaccine but it isn’t approved we can continue on the trial if we like or interestingly they said it is ok to have the Oxford/Pfizer on top of J&J if we would prefer an approved one. If we haven’t we can get the nhs offered vaccine.

Think I understood it all correctly ha

Edit. If we weren’t offered a vaccine it would be full study length before we knew 2 year 3 month 

(ensemble2)

Edited by rascalpete

11 minutes ago, rascalpete said:

Janssen we have to call them when we are offered the vaccine then they will unblind us. If we have had the vaccine but it isn’t approved we can continue on the trial if we like or interestingly they said it is ok to have the Oxford/Pfizer on top of J&J if we would prefer an approved one. If we haven’t we can get the nhs offered vaccine.

Think I understood it all correctly ha

Edit. If we weren’t offered a vaccine it would be full study length before we knew 2 year 3 month 

(ensemble2)

Ensemble 2 squad assemble! 

I'm also on it, felt rough with a temperature of 38 the day after so hoping I got it (if it works!)

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Right, this is all I could find on the supply question:

I.e. very little

This article suggests Novavax will be available in the second half of the year (if approved of course).

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19047646.teesside-make-60-million-doses-novavax-covid-vaccine-passes-uk-trial/

60milion doses to be manufactured in Teesside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

This article suggests Novavax will be available in the second half of the year (if approved of course).

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19047646.teesside-make-60-million-doses-novavax-covid-vaccine-passes-uk-trial/

60milion doses to be manufactured in Teesside.

We'll all be out of our minds on AZ and Pfizer by then.