When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Would it be possible for us all to start cooking up batches of the vaccines in our living rooms, like in Breaking Bad?

Makes it sound like before long you could get a vaccine mixology kit like you do for some fancy cocktails.

I mean, I seem to recall that you can buy genetic editing kits for an slightly unsettlingly cheap price that you can use to experiment on yourself, which is probably as ludicrous an idea.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Portugal and Spain in trouble....Imagel

Shit, thats one of the most scary graphs I have seen since this all started. What's going on in Spain and Portugal to make infections increase so exponentially all of a sudden, will it also spread to France, another new, even more transmissible, variant maybe? Bloody frightening, just shows how quickly things can change with this tosser virus. The whole thing is on a knife edge still for countries not as advanced with vaccination acquisition rollout

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

Shit, thats one of the most scary graphs I have seen since this all started. What's going on in Spain and Portugal to make infections increase so exponentially all of a sudden, will it also spread to France, another new, even more transmissible, variant maybe? Bloody frightening, just shows how quickly things can change with this tosser virus. The whole thing is on a knife edge still for countries not as advanced with vaccination acquisition rollout

... and for what it's worth i would happily sacrifice my jab for someone in a more vulnerable group than me in Portugal or Spain at the moment

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Blimey.

All the UK PR is to talk up how 'dangerous' the Brazil (and South Africa) strain is.

How now we must be protected from people from Portugal sufficient to quarantine people from there.

Yet the truth is that it's the British variant that has made things bad there

Over 50% of recent infections are the British strain (the red circles) and that's the main reason it's got so bad, so quick in Portugal.

https://nextstrain.org/groups/neherlab/ncov/portugal?c=clade_membership&f_country=Portugal&p=grid&r=division

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

All the UK PR is to talk up how 'dangerous' the Brazil (and South Africa) strain is.

How now we must be protected from people from Portugal sufficient to quarantine people from there.

Over 50% of recent infections are the British strain (the red circles) and that's the main reason it's got so bad, so quick in Portugal.

https://nextstrain.org/groups/neherlab/ncov/portugal?c=clade_membership&f_country=Portugal&p=grid&r=division

That's almost reassuring. Awful that Portugal have been hit so hard, but at least it's not a new, aggressive variant that can't be beaten that is driving the growth. I don't know their current lockdown status, but presumably if they implement something similar to us, they will be able to get a similar drop off?

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Did Portugal close its borders to the u.k?

The British variant was first detected in September, that was at a point when our levels of virus were at the lowest they’ve been since the beginning, so it’s not like it’s come from how we’ve handled the second wave here.

This is a global issue and variants will be popping up all over the place, it’s hardly the UKs fault that Portugal are having a tough time now from a variant that was about nearly 6 months ago, and visa versa for any other variants that pop up elsewhere.

Just had an interesting exchange with an antivaxxer.

They’d posted a news article on fb about Merck abandoning development of its vaccine program. The tone of the post was very much “thank goodness” with a little victory dance and some thoughts and prayer type sentiments.

I added my thanks in the comments for clearly demonstrating the robustness of the clinical trial process.

Curiously, the fb post has gone now...

(as a result of this I’ve since been spammed by DM with amongst other things. you tube videos and articles from “Epoch Times”, ‘proving’ how dangerous vaccines are, to which I responded with peer reviewed papers from respected medical journals)

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Oh I'm not saying it's the UK's fault, just that it's a bit rich for the govt to bang on about other variants, without also acknowledging that it's our own variant that has done most damage so far.

They do talk about it quite a lot to be fair, they say it’s the reason we’ve seen the level of cases that we have.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They do talk about it quite a lot to be fair, they say it’s the reason we’ve seen the level of cases that we have.

Ah, yes you're right, though cynically I think they use it as a shield to defend the high level of deaths and it gets dropped from the conversation at all other times.

All conversations get diverted now towards the vaccine programme as there is nothing else positive of substance they can point to. e.g. Patel brought it up 4 times today, when she was giving a specific statement about travel quarantines which had nothing to do with vaccines.