When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

For people saying the UK should do more to get vaccines to poorer countries...

"As of 13th January the UK had donated £548 million to the COVAX project. More, as it happens, than the whole of the rest of the EU combined. We did this, in part, by making a pledge to match £1 for every £4 donated by other countries whilst donating almost £300 million in addition outside of that pledge."

yeah, but in the contract we had with AZ is stipulated that we have first dibs.

The initial AZ agreements were for 30 million and then just 15 million by August to be delivered to the UK

The rest were to be sent out of the UK. Unclear if that was to the EU.

So it would appear that the UK are now scheduled to have sufficient vaccine deliveries (105 million) to complete the vaccination programme for every adult in the UK by mid July.

Then taking into account other vaccines, there's a shortfall of about 60 million doses to the EU (taking into account other vaccines)

It is total speculation but those numbers do seem to be closely matched.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-every-uk-adult-could-be-vaccinated-by-mid-july-if-these-figures-are-anything-to-go-by-12188909

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

"As of 13th January the UK had donated £548 million to the COVAX project. More, as it happens, than the whole of the rest of the EU combined. We did this, in part, by making a pledge to match £1 for every £4 donated by other countries whilst donating almost £300 million in addition outside of that pledge."

Whilst the UK has done very well both historically with aid and with the aid for the vaccines (albeit noting that this is before the new cut to the aid budget have taken effect), that's a false statement.

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Just as a matter of interest, would you have felt the same when Pfizer announced reduced deliveries for everyone, had they said, well, it’s a German vaccine made in Belgium, so we know you have a contract with us for a certain supply, but we’re gonna hold on to it in the EU so we can meet our order with them and only reduce deliveries to the UK until we get back up and running? 

Doesn’t really matter what’s in the AZ/UK contract, if the situation is as described above (2 UK sites listed as suppliers for the EU), I don’t see much of a way out for AZ (but we don’t know the specifics anyway, so it’s all speculation based on quotes in the media rather than cold hard facts). 

Different pharmaceutical companies have different ways of doing things i guess! The Pfizer setbacks are a temporary one before they ramp up again aren't they?

The AZ CEO said though that they developed the UK site for their deliveries 3 months earlier than the EU one because of them signing the contact earlier, so the UK gets first dibs on the vaccines produced there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the EU get their vaccines asap. I dont think they are acting particularly well in the circumstances. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Whilst the UK has done very well both historically with aid and with the aid for the vaccines (albeit noting that this is before the new cut to the aid budget have taken effect), that's a false statement.

Oh how much have they given then?

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The initial AZ agreements were for 30 million and then just 15 million by August to be delivered to the UK

So it would appear that the UK are now scheduled to have sufficient vaccine deliveries (105 million) to complete the vaccination programme for every adult in the UK by mid July.

Then taking into account other vaccines, there's a shortfall of about 60 million doses to the EU (taking into account other vaccines)

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-every-uk-adult-could-be-vaccinated-by-mid-july-if-these-figures-are-anything-to-go-by-12188909

That's August last year isn't it? Also doesn't that July target take into account Pfizer and Moderna?

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Different pharmaceutical companies have different ways of doing things i guess! The Pfizer setbacks are a temporary one before they ramp up again aren't they?

The AZ CEO said though that they developed the UK site for their deliveries 3 months earlier than the EU one because of them signing the contact earlier, so the UK gets first dibs on the vaccines produced there.

Pfizer do their own manufacturing. AstraZeneca outsource all theirs. 

23 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Only scanned the article as I'm putting my daughter to bed but it seems from this that the EU have every right to be pissed off unless I'm missing something (which is quite probable).

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

EU have dwarfed that figure overall.

€15.9 billion
Pledges made for universal access to tests, treatments and vaccines against coronavirus and for the global recovery

• Like 1

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

I could make small amounts of it in the lab fairly handily! Can’t guarantee it would be any good mind you!

I want to put myself forward for the TD/EF vaccine trial, but be warned, I prefer double doses..

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I could make small amounts of it in the lab fairly handily! Can’t guarantee it would be any good mind you!

I haven't spoken to you Duck but I've always read your very knowledgeable posts that although ruthlessly honest at times they've also been strangely very calming.

If I had to willingly accept being injected with a death defying vaccination from a complete stranger on an online forum it would be you. 

• Like 2