When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

My prediction would be they'll do down to 50+ as they have said and after that if the vax reduces transmission they will prioritise people in public facing roles. Police officers, teachers etc- but as for whether they will continue 45+, 40+, 35+ etc I'm not sure. I suppose age matter less when you have done the over 50s cause that is where basically all the deaths come from.

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's not just their health though is it, it's the job they carry out which is affected if they don't turn up.

Our police force barely has enough resource normally let along if multiple officers can't turn up to work for any covid related issues?

we don't know if vaccine prevents them catching virus and transmitting, so they'd still need to self isolate.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

we don't know if vaccine prevents them catching virus and transmitting, so they'd still need to self isolate.

That's what PHE are gathering evidence on. The thinking is that there will be clear evidence either way by Feb 15th when they will consider it

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

My prediction would be they'll do down to 50+ as they have said and after that if the vax reduces transmission they will prioritise people in public facing roles. Police officers, teachers etc- but as for whether they will continue 45+, 40+, 35+ etc I'm not sure. I suppose age matter less when you have done the over 50s cause that is where basically all the deaths come from.

Sir Simon Smith of the NHS intimated yesterday that once any priority groups are done (ie all over-50s, and key workers/higher risk/higher contact individuals) that there will come a time where rather than being called forward, we will be told we can then book in to get a jab if we want one.

Seems to me that the surest way to mess up the vaccination program would be to start messing around with priority lists. We saw this last year with the almost constant tweaking of the rules - where would they draw line? It would create so many grey areas and opportunities for abuse of the system.

Keep to age group bands, it keeps it simple and avoids and opportunity for confusion.

Focus should be on vaccinating the most vulnerable and then speeding up production and delivery.

1 minute ago, Mellotr0n said:

Sir Simon Smith of the NHS intimated yesterday that once any priority groups are done (ie all over-50s, and key workers/higher risk/higher contact individuals) that there will come a time where rather than being called forward, we will be told we can then book in to get a jab if we want one.

So like getting glasto tickets!

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m fairly surprised I thought they might not go for him that much. It’s not comfort but it’s something, he needs to be held accountable. 

Careful what you wish for there - if he gets held too much to account and has to resign, it risks Sunak winning and lifting restrictions

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I can't understand isn't there an internationally standardised certificate for vaccination yet?

Seems like such a basic thing for global leaders to put in place and could be useful in the near future.

Big issue with this is children - they aren't being vaccinated but can still spread it (despite the claims otherwise) - so if countries are worried about keeping it out then surely family holidays are gone until they get a version sorted for kids?

35 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m all for key workers getting put forward in the queue but I’ll be pretty annoyed if my 34 year old cousin who is a bobby gets vaccinated before his 67

year old dad. I’d at very least say the over 60’s need jagged before we change the priorities. Over 50’s there’s probably more of an argument to say that they could safely be skipped over. 

I agree with this - I think doing teachers first leads to schools opening before the 50-69 group is done, meaning more chance of that group catching it during daily activities like supermarket, doctors, pharmacies etc. And prolonging hospital strain as they continue to be admitted alongside whatever percentage of younger parents end up there too.  

Supermarkets, police etc does make sense though IF it stops the spread. 

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd like to see all people that work out in the community prioritised over those that can work from home st least (other than those at high risk for age and clinical reasons). But appreciate very difficult to prove.

Im happy to wait till the very end - as a work from home freelancer I'm not desperate to get to the pub or anything like that so can wait for my "freedom pass". There is no chance of events that quickly and thats all I'm bothered about. 

4 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

can we choose the vaccine we get?!

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Seems to me that the surest way to mess up the vaccination program would be to start messing around with priority lists. We saw this last year with the almost constant tweaking of the rules - where would they draw line? It would create so many grey areas and opportunities for abuse of the system.

Keep to age group bands, it keeps it simple and avoids and opportunity for confusion.

Focus should be on vaccinating the most vulnerable and then speeding up production and delivery.

Yep absolutely ... you just need to look  at the businesses that now deem themselves to be essential by working around things ..,  to see what a mess and bin fight it will become .... people trying to influence the govt from all angles ... pubs (see Tim Wetherspoons infuence ... manufacturing ... building ? ) where does it stop ? 

4 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

But don't forget Boris is being pressured by those who want the economy open fully right now - that's the real decision making process not actually saving lives. 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Vaccinating teachers (while obv good cause it will protect them) won't help much with the schools re-opening if all those unvaccinated kids mingling means the R rate going >1.

Yeah I’ve been thinking this. I keep seeing calls to get teachers vaccinated to get the schools reopened, but they aren’t shut for that reason at present are they? It’s purely to do with keeping infection rates down. Although keeping teachers safe should also be a priority so they should be high up the list I think too.  

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

can we choose the vaccine we get?!

I know you joke but I've got a feeling the rest of us are going to be taking a different one completely 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/johnson-johnson-profit-is-boosted-by-pharmaceuticals-business-11611666309

One dose increases the speed hugely 

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It such a tough one this .... should a 20year old police officer get a jab before a 69 year old .... I really don’t know the answer ... but I’d like them to stick to their planned list 

The strategy is to be keep the management of sick people within the capacity of the NHS. As the 69 yr old is much more likely to take up NHS facilities (e.g. intensive care bed) than the 20 we would seem to be following the right plan?

3 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

The strategy is to be keep the management of sick people within the capacity of the NHS. As the 69 yr old is much more likely to take up NHS facilities (e.g. intensive care bed) than the 20 we would seem to be following the right plan?

id agree ... that's where im concerned about them changing it ..... lets hope they continue to ramp up the jabs  so everyone can get done soon though .... 

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But don't forget Boris is being pressured by those who want the economy open fully right now - that's the real decision making process not actually saving lives

How to you square that comment with large chunks of the economy currently being shut down at the behest of the government? 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This was always going to be the case eventually.

If anything i'm surprised there hasn't been more of a switch to opposing lockdowns in polls.

I guess with the hope of a slow way out and the rollout of the jab seeming to be going well that might well appease some people ... although how long people remain patient is anyones guess