When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Let's also not forget that idiotic decision to allow schools to open for one day before the inevitable u-turn, just to give the virus that extra day to spread the virus amongst the kids after the christmas holidays, who then pass it on to their parents and teachers. That was one of the most shocking and incompetent dithering decisions for me during the entire pandemic. It was inevitable what was going to happen but they still allowed schools to open for one crucial day. God knows what impact that decision has had in spreading infection unnecessarily. It just didn't need to happen, stupid decision

Still convinced it was done on purpose as a further attempt at herd immunity - to spread it to as many kids as possible, who would then pass it to their less vulnerable parents (in theory). 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

He's talking about taking personal responsibility for the government's actions.

That's the political equivalent of showing someone a photo of your girl back home before going into battle.

I don't get what saying that means, what does he actually mean when he says he says he takes full responsibility. It is utterly meaningless, if you were taking full responsibility then you would acknowledge that you aren't capable to make the best decisions to reduce deaths as quickly as possible and hence you should fall on your sword. It means nothing to say you are taking responsibility

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

I don't get what saying that means, what does he actually mean when he says he says he takes full responsibility. It is utterly meaningless, if you were taking full responsibility then you would acknowledge that you aren't capable to make the best decisions to reduce deaths as quickly as possible and hence you should fall on your sword. It means nothing to say you are taking responsibility

That’s kind of what I’ve been saying. He can say that because whatever he says or does, it doesn’t matter. No one will care that he’s spouted meaningless words like that and they’ll just move on. As you say if he really did take responsibility then he would resign. 

Just now, st dan said:

Still convinced it was done on purpose as a further attempt at herd immunity - to spread it to as many kids as possible, who would then pass it to their less vulnerable parents (in theory). 

I don't see it as a ploy, I just see it as total incompetence, nothing more

Surprised no media questions on the story of 'hotel quarantines' despite it featuring in a few of their outlets.

Are the questions vetted before the PM gets them?, if so perhaps another press conference tomorrow then if a decision is made tonight on what the hell they are doing.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

Surprised no media questions on the story of 'hotel quarantines' despite it featuring in a few of their outlets.

Are the questions vetted before the PM gets them?, if so perhaps another press conference tomorrow then if a decision is made tonight on what the hell they are doing.

Yes they are now being selected 

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

In terms of whether it actually means anything to him or if he'll actually do anything about it, absolutely not.  But you're thinking about it like, you know, a decent human being.

In political terms and as part of a narrative, it's the start of blame for the shortcomings and failings being put on him as leader and not the government as a whole. Begins that narrative that leads to a govt approach along the lines of "as leader and taking responsibilities, his position as leader of the party and the country is no longer viable so we must, with great regret, ask him to step down" or some such bollocks.

It's utterly disingenuous, and as normal person you're right, utterly meaningless. But this is the first time I can recall him taking that kind of line. 

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I don't see it as a ploy, I just see it as total incompetence, nothing more

I did at first, but then I thought:

Why the u-turn after one day?
What made them drastically chance their minds in less than 24 hours?
What data would possibly have been available that wasn’t the day before?

There has probably been hundreds of thousands of positive cases due to this one day, the majority of which will probably have had no/mild symptoms due to the ages involved (both students and parents). 

Edited by st dan

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

In terms of whether it actually means anything to him or if he'll actually do anything about it, absolutely not.  But you're thinking about it like, you know, a decent human being.

In political terms and as part of a narrative, it's the start of blame for the shortcomings and failings being put on him as leader and not the government as a whole. Begins that narrative that leads to a govt approach along the lines of "as leader and taking responsibilities, his position as leader of the party and the country is no longer viable so we must, with great regret, ask him to step down" or some such bollocks.

It's utterly disingenuous, and as normal person you're right, utterly meaningless. But this is the first time I can recall him taking that kind of line. 

I think he has said that before in PMQs?

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

LEST WE FORGET (today's numbers so far)

image.thumb.png.3c0ff451d1e1682f0a406605a7110477.png

I've given up trying to be rational and explaining to myself these numbers.  I am now just shocked and saddened.  

There is no rational explanation other than incompetence.  

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think he has said that before in PMQs?

Might have done, but certainly can't remember it being that open on a public platform like the briefings.

I might be wrong of course. But it's the kind of shitbiscuit duplicitous behaviour I expect from this arseburger of a government.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

I did at first, but then I thought:

Why the u-turn after one day?
What made them drastically chance their minds in less than 24 hours?
What data would possibly have been available that wasn’t the day before?

The answer to all 3, most likely, is an opinion poll.

7 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I've given up trying to be rational and explaining to myself these numbers.  I am now just shocked and saddened.  

There is no rational explanation other than incompetence.  

1,631 in a single day.

How did we allow it to get so completely on a path towards being out of control before taking action?

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Yes they are now being selected 

Not surprised, gives them excuse to avoid the difficult ones (and even if there is one thrown in, it's still avoided)

Did anyone notice on the BBC feed (I watched it online), that when one journo was asking a question (cant remember who), it cut to another one speaking but wasn't heard? 

Edited by Paul ™