When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

What did he ask?

No accountability from Spaffer and Co. Didn’t he open this briefing by saying ‘We did everything we could to keep the death rate down’.

"Do you not reflect whether some of the 100,000 deaths could have been prevented if you had made decisions differently and followed scientists recommendations?"

Also tried to get the scientists to re-state their earlier recommendations.

Edited by xxialac

Sir Simon Stevens mentions it there in that answer on Christmas Day there were 18,000 COVID patients there are now 33,000. The governments actions over that period should be being absolutely taken to task right now but it’s just skipped over. Johnson suggested there was nothing he reflected on that he could’ve done better, if that’s the case he isn’t equipped to lead this Nation. 

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sir Simon Stevens mentions it there in that answer on Christmas Day there were 18,000 COVID patients there are now 33,000. The governments actions over that period should be being absolutely taken to task right now but it’s just skipped over. Johnson suggested there was nothing he reflected on that he could’ve done better, if that’s the case he isn’t equipped to lead this Nation. 

I can't respect any leader that never accepts mistakes he or she has made.

It shows you are human to admit to your failings and it shows you are wise to recognise them so that you can learn from them.

Just now, xxialac said:

I can't respect any leader that never accepts mistakes he or she has made.

It shows you are human to admit to your failings and it shows you are wise to recognise them so that you can learn from them.

That’s partly the problem, he’s in charge but he certainly isn’t leading. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The stupid thing about it is that they didn’t even need to ‘allow’ a days reprieve for household mixing on Christmas Day - people would have done it regardless.
By actually allowing it and seeing the catastrophic damage it has cases to both cases and deaths, he’s given himself a stick to be beaten with. Instead he could have defaulted to their preferred stance of blaming the public rather than themselves. 

Edited by st dan

I still reckon Johnson's exit is already planned. Brexit is done, and as the vaccine rollout continues the worst part of the pandemic will be behind us. At that point it'll either be a resignation or a pre-planned vote of no confidence, he'll step away and the next anointed one will take his place with something of a clean sheet.

All of the worst outcomes of the last 18 months will be associated with Johnson. He's essentially a massive shit umbrella for the govt and conservative party. I honestly think he's just being kept on now so he can lie on as many shitty grenades as possible.

I originally thought somewhere around Easter. Might be a bit longer, but honestly think he's on the way out.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

The stupid thing about it is that they didn’t even need to ‘allow’ a days reprieve for household mixing on Christmas Day - people would have done it regardless.
By actually allowing it and seeing the catastrophic damage it has cases to both cases and deaths, he’s given himself a stick to be beaten with. Instead he could have defaulted to their preferred stance of blaming the public rather than themselves. 

I just feel so deflated by it all. Nothing matters. Nothing they do really makes any difference, people still support them. I wish any of this made a difference, I wish that 100k deaths meant more but it looks like they are going to get away with their response to this by blaming others or some other rhetoric. Whilst polling shows the governments lead has gone it’s not enough they shouldn’t have the support they do but as I said nothing matters. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I still reckon Johnson's exit is already planned. Brexit is done, and as the vaccine rollout continues the worst part of the pandemic will be behind us. At that point it'll either be a resignation or a pre-planned vote of no confidence, he'll step away and the next anointed one will take his place with something of a clean sheet.

All of the worst outcomes of the last 18 months will be associated with Johnson. He's essentially a massive shit umbrella for the govt and conservative party. I honestly think he's just being kept on now so he can lie on as many shitty grenades as possible.

I originally thought somewhere around Easter. Might be a bit longer, but honestly think he's on the way out.

I reckon he'll still be leading the tories into the next election and will win it, but then again I placed a bet on Trump winning.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

He's not going anywhere before all the adults have been vaccinated.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Totally agree. His days are numbered.

He hates having to do any work so it will completely suit him and he'll always be an ex-Prime Minister which satisfies his enormous ego.

He's just a entitled child really and the jolly routine is an act.

Just now, xxialac said:

Totally agree. His days are numbered.

He hates having to do any work so it will completely suit him and he'll always be an ex-Prime Minister which satisfies his enormous ego.

He's just a entitled child really and the jolly routine is an act.

I think he quite fancies the after-dinner circuit.

The news of the milestone earlier reminded me of when the USA hit it back in May and the New York Times published the names and small facts about those lost. I doubt we'll get anything similar over here as others have said.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/05/23/the-new-york-times-dedicates-sunday-front-page-to-names-of-1000-coronavirus-victims/

image.thumb.png.44468a18ccb51aedbcb818b79656b083.png

Let's also not forget that idiotic decision to allow schools to open for one day before the inevitable u-turn, just to give the virus that extra day to spread the virus amongst the kids after the christmas holidays, who then pass it on to their parents and teachers. That was one of the most shocking and incompetent dithering decisions for me during the entire pandemic. It was inevitable what was going to happen but they still allowed schools to open for one crucial day. God knows what impact that decision has had in spreading infection unnecessarily. It just didn't need to happen, stupid decision

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Mr Duck,

Maybe you can put this AZ efficacy confusion to bed. Even AZ haven't clarified the below, nor have MHRA or anyone else.

The way I understand it is as follows:

The standard two dose SD:SD regimen was reported at 62.5% from the trials.  (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext)

The LD:SD dose on a small trial subsection but nobody over 55 yielded a 90% efficacy rate.

AZ when they presented to MHRA and JCVI gave data which averaged the two percentages (not including trial group sizes) out giving a rate of 70%.

MHRA then gave out a 73% efficacy based on one dose after an 'exploratory analysis of 'some' trial participants but no data presented.

Confusion abounds. How does one dose have more efficacy than two?
Is this correct?

In the middle of making the dinner at the mo, but I’ll try and dig out the links later. The LD:SD vs SD:SD angle was explained in the authorisation published by the MHRA and the government document that was published after it ( @stuartbert two hatsposted a link to it in the first place that pointed me in the right direction). In essence, the low dose group also had a bigger gap to dose 2. When they looked at individuals that got both full doses with a longer gap, they also saw the better efficacy. They also looked at the immune response with the longer gap and it increases markedly. It’s not the cleanest data, and they haven’t done the best job in reporting it, but I can see why it’s been approved with a 9-12 week gap. Will try and dig out the exact link a bit later!