When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

22 minutes ago, Copperface said:

No. As far as I know they are quoted at 62.5% for the SD/SD dosage, and that is after two doses. Happy to be corrected. 

The 90% was for the LD/SD regimen.

I believe that's correct, although it's worth pointing out that it later transpired that the difference between the two regimes was caused by the gap between doses, rather than the dosage.

27 minutes ago, Copperface said:

No. As far as I know they are quoted at 62.5% for the SD/SD dosage, and that is after two doses. Happy to be corrected. 

The 90% was for the LD/SD regimen.

The longer gap resulted in greater efficacy they believe hence the 12 week gap in doses. Also, this vaccine resulted in none of the participants getting serious disease. 

Yeah the pfizer one might have better numbers on one hand but it is expensive and won't be much use in poor countries.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I believe that's correct, although it's worth pointing out that it later transpired that the difference between the two regimes was caused by the gap between doses, rather than the dosage.

The very fact some of us have different impressions of the situation in regard to things like this shows that information is not as clear as we'd like it to be, especially around AZ. I have no expertise in this area at all and would like facts laid out in laymans terms. Even if you go hunting for it it's not easy to find.

The US data should clarify a lot more as they should be putting something out imminently.

Whether its 60 or 90% is immaterial to us here in the UK, we just need to do and use what we can in the short term. 

Edited by Copperface

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

The very fact some of us have different impressions of the situation in regard to things like this shows that information is not as clear as we'd like it to be, especially around AZ. I have no expertise in this area at all and would like facts laid out in laymans terms. Even if you go hunting for it it's not easy to find.

The US data should clarify a lot more as they should be putting something out imminently.

Whether its 60 or 90% is immaterial to us here in the UK, we just need to do and use what we can in the short term. 

Which is exactly why it is probs best to trust the MHRA. Seems a clear effort to me from the US to delay it till they can get more american vaccines administered at a much higher cost. 

Ultimately the Oxford vaccine is very good. It is also the one which will play a bigger part in protecting most of the world.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Which is exactly why it is probs best to trust the MHRA. Seems a clear effort to me from the US to delay it till they can get more american vaccines administered at a much higher cost. 

Ultimately the Oxford vaccine is very good. It is also the one which will play a bigger part in protecting most of the world.

I'm not debating that, I'm after some cited facts.

It's pretty depressing (although I guess predictable) to see the vaccine rollout become a political and divisive issue. I can understand the EU's frustration if they feel they're owed something they haven't received, but it's not clear to me that's what's happened? Just wish everyone could work together in a global way to beat this, but appreciate that's pretty pie-in-the-sky thinking. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Which Brazilians are so desperate to get to the UK that they’re going to fly via Madrid? Be very specific about who exactly is THAT keen for a week in Cleethorpes? 

Well if they're sensible they'd never want to come here as there are much nicer places to go on holiday in the world but...

It's less about brazil specifically, and more about the fact variants won't be discovered until they're already here. There are many many reasons people might be coming into this country (some of us agree/disagree with some of them!) But if they can come from anywhere. 

What if Spain cook up a vaccine resistant variant, or even a much more deadly one, however unlikely it sounds? it seems to be spreading there badly too. What if they only discover it when a few British nationals have come back here, ignored our self isolation guidelines but started becoming symptomatic/transmitting after their day of travel tests?  Compliance with self isolation is low here

It's way too important - if the worst case happens then we're fucked. Back to square one, more lockdowns when they modify and distribute the vaccine to everyone again 

Not saying forever but this is the most dangerous time

Edited by efcfanwirral

If virus becomes endemic but we are protected against serious disease from it through vaccines, then the problem could be that the more of it about the higher the risk of a mutation becoming more deadly and/or evading vaccines? If vaccines help stop spread and virus gets to low levels then less of a problem I guess.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's pretty depressing (although I guess predictable) to see the vaccine rollout become a political and divisive issue. I can understand the EU's frustration if they feel they're owed something they haven't received, but it's not clear to me that's what's happened? Just wish everyone could work together in a global way to beat this, but appreciate that's pretty pie-in-the-sky thinking. 

It’s understandable to be honest if they both signed a contract, the EU paid for a certain amount of doses and then AZ haven’t fulfilled that order. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Well if they're sensible they'd never want to come here as there are much nicer places to go on holiday in the world but...

It's less about brazil specifically, and more about the fact variants won't be discovered until they're already here. There are many many reasons people might be coming into this country (some of us agree/disagree with some of them!) But if they can come from anywhere. 

What if Spain cook up a vaccine resistant variant, or even a much more deadly one, however unlikely it sounds? it seems to be spreading there badly too. What if they only discover it when a few British nationals have come back here, ignored our self isolation guidelines but started becoming symptomatic/transmitting after their day of travel tests? Nobody complies here

It's way too important - if the worst case happens then we're fucked. Back to square one, more lockdowns when they modify and distribute the vaccine to everyone again 

Not saying forever but this is the most dangerous time

And what if it is dominant and becomes widespread in Spain? Won't the vast numbers of hauliers (or even elite travelling footballers and other 'exempts') etc simply bring it to our shores anyway?

And it's a big 'if' as there may not be a vaccine-resistant new strain in the first place.

For me, they either need to do it properly or not at all. Pretty sure we'll end up with a half-baked scheme and chaos initially.

Just now, steviewevie said:

If virus becomes endemic but we are protected against serious disease from it through vaccines, then the problem could be that the more of it about the higher the risk of a mutation becoming more deadly and/or evading vaccines? If vaccines help stop spread and virus gets to low levels then less of a problem I guess.

The ironic thing is that the three most dangerous variants so far are the UK, South African and Brazilian variants. 

The three trials done by AZ were based in......the UK, South Africa and Brazil.

I am only joking btw, before anyone jumps down my throat and accuses me off doing the country down.😲

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

someone on here posted today( but i cant find it now )that it was only a estimate given to the EU with the amounts of the vaccine and the date it would be available under best case scenarios.

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

BoJo doing a press conference tonight.

Having one 2 days in a row makes me feel uneasy!

I think we did 2 in a row at the beginning of last week so no different ... Boris hasnt been on for a while so no doubt he will talk about how good the oxford  vaccine is and how well we are rolling it out .... I imagine there won't be any graphs showing 100,000 dead though