When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The 8% was just too low to be believable to me anyway. Still unnecessary panic caused at a time when the vaccine rollout is the only positive new story about!

Especially when even though the number of 65+ year olds in the trials were quite low, they actually in many cases produced a better immune response, not worse.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

so... the UK govt are going to get away with being utterly shit about covid, aren't they? 😞 

They'll have fucked it up all the way thru, but will find salvation via a few much-too-late moves such as quarantining international arrivals and a super-quick vaccine roll-out.

Corrupt and craven media, complete lack of shame among Tories (who on here honestly wouldn't have resigned by now if they'd messed up this badly at their job?!), opposition devoid of talent with poor strategists and terrible digital campaigning (though to be fair with every national newspaper and major radio station essentially Tory propaganda, and Labour being at a huge financial disadvantage to the Tories, it's a nightmare trying to buck the odds), and a public that seem to be gluttons for punishment (and a disturbing high number of whom swallow any old crap they read on Facebook), certainly feels like they can get away with anything these days.

I do wonder if things like the Poll tax, or Black Wednesday, or the cash for questions stuff happened nowadays, would they have been as big of a deal/more recoverable? 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Especially when even though the number of 65+ year olds in the trials were quite low, they actually in many cases produced a better immune response, not worse.

I feel like I have seen lots of negative stories from the foreign press re the Oxford Vaccine. Probs cause it's cheap and will be used for most of the world.

Twitter really needs to be binned.
Yes it has some plus points and can be a good source of news and information, but I’d say that the increasing rise of dangerous ‘fake news’, and the fact it is a breeding ground for racist, sexist, homophobic abuse and bullying means that the cons outweigh its pros at this moment.
People really don’t need to be given a platform to express their views to a mass audience. 

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I feel like I have seen lots of negative stories from the foreign press re the Oxford Vaccine. Probs cause it's cheap and will be used for most of the world.

Ugh. It's enough to make me feel all Brexity, which can't be a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Corrupt and craven media, complete lack of shame among Tories (who on here honestly wouldn't have resigned by now if they'd messed up this badly at their job?!), opposition devoid of talent with poor strategists and terrible digital campaigning (though to be fair with every national newspaper and major radio station essentially Tory propaganda, and Labour being at a huge financial disadvantage to the Tories, it's a nightmare trying to buck the odds), and a public that seem to be gluttons for punishment (and a disturbing high number of whom swallow any old crap they read on Facebook), certainly feels like they can get away with anything these days.

I do wonder if things like the Poll tax, or Black Wednesday, or the cash for questions stuff happened nowadays, would they have been as big of a deal/more recoverable? 

The Tories really have done a remarkable job in convincing the public that any mistakes made aren’t theirs and are because of another group. They’ve been doing this for years and it’s second nature now that the public seems to let them off. The media let them off as well in the main. It’s quite fascinating how they’ve done it and also very sad. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories really have done a remarkable job in convincing the public that any mistakes made aren’t theirs and are because of another group.

I don't think it's particularly that.

I think plenty of people are prepared to forgive the mistakes because there's no handbook for the best way to get thru this.

Unfortunately, they're getting away with the same mistakes again and again because (understandably) no one actually wants the actions that they've kept on taking too late.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories really have done a remarkable job in convincing the public that any mistakes made aren’t theirs and are because of another group. They’ve been doing this for years and it’s second nature now that the public seems to let them off. The media let them off as well in the main. It’s quite fascinating how they’ve done it and also very sad. 

The last election I was canvassing and the number of people who genuinely seemed to think that Labour were responsible for the last 10 years, was amazing! 

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's almost as if the E.U. needed something to distract from the story about their abysmal distribution efforts. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think it's particularly that.

I think plenty of people are prepared to forgive the mistakes because there's no handbook for the best way to get thru this.

Unfortunately, they're getting away with the same mistakes again and again because (understandably) no one actually wants the actions that they've kept on taking too late.

There is definitely an element of that although I think it is partly engrained in parts of the electorate that they will forgive the Tories for nearly anything whereas if an opposition party says something wrong they get jumped on.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The last election I was canvassing and the number of people who genuinely seemed to think that Labour were responsible for the last 10 years, was amazing! 

I can imagine! I’ll always remember the day after the 2019 GE, Sky News spoke to an older couple in a Northern constituency that had voted Conservative from Labour. The couple said they had voted Conservative because they wanted change! Completely ignoring the fact that they are voting for the party that’s been in power for the last decade. 

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

Twitter really needs to be binned.
Yes it has some plus points and can be a good source of news and information, but I’d say that the increasing rise of dangerous ‘fake news’, and the fact it is a breeding ground for racist, sexist, homophobic abuse and bullying means that the cons outweigh its pros at this moment.
People really don’t need to be given a platform to express their views to a mass audience. 

I don't use Twitter and consider myself fortunate not to need to do so.  As a non Twitter user I only ever hear negative things from or about it, often from my wife who regularly feels compelled to keep me abreast of the horrors of the world I'd been happily oblivious of until then.

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I don't use Twitter and consider myself fortunate not to need to do so.  As a non Twitter user I only ever hear negative things from or about it, often from my wife who regularly feels compelled to keep me abreast of the horrors of the world I'd been happily oblivious of until then.

It also can be a really good, quick source at times. All depends who you follow I guess.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Those reporters at the German newspaper need to be sacked.

Would have at least made sense it if was nine per cent...

Reporter: Will you tell me what the efficacy is for the AZ vaccine in 65+ age group?

German Goverment Source: Nein 

Edited by SheffJeff
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There is definitely an element of that although I think it is partly engrained in parts of the electorate that they will forgive the Tories for nearly anything whereas if an opposition party says something wrong they get jumped on.

well, yeah. Who knew that a big part the electorate are essentially politically tribal? 😛 

The chair of the government's Transport Select Committee, told the BBC Radio 4’s The World Tonight programme:

“We can cause absolute chaos if we put this across the entire globe"

Absolutely. I don't think they are sufficiently competent pull this off unless they make it narrower than 'quarantine all arrivals' and there will be loads of dire consequences.

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

There are far more positives than negatives with Twitter.

This story was being printed in a German newspaper, yeah?

If it wasn't for Twitter, the rebuttal from AZ wouldn't have been as instantly widespread nor tweets like Alex Wickham's.

Yeah I agree.there are plenty of positives about the site, I think it’s also important to not instantly believe everything you read and wait for more information to become available.

That is harder when the source is reputable though. 

13 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It's almost as if the E.U. needed something to distract from the story about their abysmal distribution efforts. 

But that is a really crap distraction as was bound to backfire...and it's not really EU doing this, but maybe someone angry in German govt or civil service, or maybe just a big screw up. Really stupid whatever it is. They really need to increase public confidence in the vaccines across europe otherwise they're going to have a massive problem on their hands.