When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It wasn't that ambitious to check people's passenger locater forms at the airport either and they managed to do 3%. 

It's quite clear that the border control up until this point have been piss poor, but appears that there is now urgency from the government to rectify this - partially due to public pressure.

5 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Where you seeing that? And assuming that's by air only then? No mention of ferry/tunnel in the Guardian article either? 

My advice would be if you need to get back to the UK, do it soon. Otherwise just sit it out and wait to see how it develops - as some form of quarantine looks certain.

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

It's quite clear that the border control up until this point have been piss poor, but appears that there is now urgency from the government to rectify this - partially due to public pressure.

You're right.

I just question whether they have the competence.
In Asia they use lots of tech and tracking whereas we just seem hopeless at this kind of administration. Look at the scenes at Heathrow at the weekend - so easy to have avoided with planning.

7 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

My advice would be if you need to get back to the UK, do it soon. Otherwise just sit it out and wait to see how it develops - as some form of quarantine looks certain.

I'd only be coming back as need to due to the Schengen area 90 day rule by end of March.

If there is mandatory hotel quarantine at £1000 each for us, I'll take the fine for overstaying that first.. it's cheaper and less risk where we are compared to the UK.

Until they get the virus sorted over there, that's a lot of money to spend for the potential to catch it soon as your 'released' anyway 😂

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

I'd only be coming back as need to due to the Schengen area 90 day rule by end of March.

If there is mandatory hotel quarantine at £1000 each for us, I'll take the fine for overstaying that first.. it's cheaper and less risk where we are compared to the UK.

Until they get the virus sorted over there, that's a lot of money to spend for the potential to catch it soon as your 'released' anyway 😂

They've already hinted there'll be an exemption list so as long as you can pass off as a high value businessman, you might not even need to quarantine.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They've already hinted there'll be an exemption list so as long as you can pass off as a high value businessman, you might not even need to quarantine.

Yup sure sounds legit. I'll get my mate to employ me as one.. 

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There is another way people will avoid quarantine.

By going to Dublin instead, then 100 odd miles to Belfast and fly home.

I hate to break it to you, but the only reason we didn’t seal our borders last March was because we shared an open one with another jurisdiction taking a different approach (amply highlighted by the cancellation of flights from London before Christmas, only for everyone to rebook to Belfast and get the train down). We asked the NI assembly if they would consider an all-island approach at the outset, but they declined, so the borders stayed open. Reports here for the last few days have been about negotiations between Dublin and London for a coordinated two island approach to border closures, so expect ours to close when they do in the UK. 

7 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I hate to break it to you, but the only reason we didn’t seal our borders last March was because we shared an open one with another jurisdiction taking a different approach (amply highlighted by the cancellation of flights from London before Christmas, only for everyone to rebook to Belfast and get the train down). We asked the NI assembly if they would consider an all-island approach at the outset, but they declined, so the borders stayed open. Reports here for the last few days have been about negotiations between Dublin and London for a coordinated two island approach to border closures, so expect ours to close when they do in the UK. 

ROI is a sovereign state and it is not for bullying Brussels London to tell it what to do. The UK needs to respects Ireland's self-determination!

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Covid: Quarantine hotel plans set to be announced https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55805575

That article says in AUS if people can't afford it then fees are waived. Is that correct? Anyone know?

Edited by Paul ™

4 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

That article says in AUS if people can't afford it then fees are waived. Is that correct? Anyone know?

Don't think that's right and they could e.g. register a charge over your assets.

I suspect in reality if you constantly plead poverty, they will eventually give up. They won't make foreigners pay either, only UK citizens.

23 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It's a lot of effort to get the fees waived, need to prove income etc.

Having said that for what its worth, I landed in Australia on the 12th November and still have not been charged for the hotel quarantine. So I am going to assume the british government is not going to implement a 'pay on arrival' scheme.

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Don't think that's right and they could e.g. register a charge over your assets.

I suspect in reality if you constantly plead poverty, they will eventually give up. They won't make foreigners pay either, only UK citizens.

If people genuinely can't pay then I guess so.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Are you in Portugal? Isn't the situation pretty bad there at the moment?

Yes. But like the UK it depends where you are, where we are cases are well below the national averages both here and the UK. In the middle of nowhere and only one interaction every 10-14 days going shopping is far safer in my opinion than being in the UK.

Due to the low population count in most rural municipalities, the rate per 100k isn't really a good measure. That along with one of the most ageing populations in Europe, puts it at a high rate. Number of cases/deaths in the <65 age group are very low.

7 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

It's a lot of effort to get the fees waived, need to prove income etc.

Having said that for what its worth, I landed in Australia on the 12th November and still have not been charged for the hotel quarantine. So I am going to assume the british government is not going to implement a 'pay on arrival' scheme.

Cheers, I guess having no income is easy to prove. 

Who bills you then? The government or the hotel, and what was the estimated total cost if you don't mind me asking?