When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Data from both the phase 1/2 and phase 3 trial suggested no real differences in older age groups (in fact, immune response in their early trial was actually more robust in older individuals if I recall correctly). 

Just found this which may be what you were referring to?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-19-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response-older-adults#

I do hope this only 8% story turns out to be shoddy journalism (the author is political rather than science/medicine) but it’s awful to be claiming this in a health crisis that could bring into question the vaccine rollout

Anyway .........

B83A45FC-A083-4DF0-BE19-772987BC06D8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-19-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response-older-adults#

I do hope this only 8% story turns out to be shoddy journalism (the author is political rather than science/medicine) but it’s awful to be claiming this in a health crisis that could bring into question the vaccine rollout

Anyway .........

Yep, that was it, their phase 2 lancet paper had the immune response in older adults in it. Was pretty much the same across the age groups with fewer side effects in the older group. 

19 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Anyway .........

i would hate to be trapped in a bubble like that 

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Surely not

20210125_221937.jpg

I find that hard to believe, Holidays were allowed last year if they were within the travel corridor and this summer a large amount of people will be vaccinated.

But i am no expert, just seems like the headline is based on a line taken from Paul Charles saying it as a worse case scenario.

More I think about it more I think that 8% figure is utter pish.

Also suspect the only reason America hasn’t approved it is financial and they want to pad the pockets of big pharma over there.

Fact of the matter is the Oxford vaccine is the most important worldwide cause it’s cheap and fridge temperature.

3 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

I find that hard to believe, Holidays were allowed last year if they were within the travel corridor and this summer a large amount of people will be vaccinated.

But i am no expert, just seems like the headline is based on a line taken from Paul Charles saying it as a worse case scenario.

The situation has changed a lot since last summer, but allowing people to travel in and out of the country freely was idiotic at that point anyway.

The biggest change is the mutations that are now starting, it's clear the UK government want to contain whats already in the country and get that sorted first. Although I personally don't think a travel ban will be in place until next year, but absolutely expect it to be harder this year. The United States are now also looking to a model similar to Australias as well.

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

image.png.aaa69762417f86e155fea6f3fcb36c30.png

'

Ministers had previously discussed limiting hotel quarantine to “hotspot” countries, including South Africa and parts of South America, but Whitehall sources said that was now likely to be expanded to a blanket quarantine policy for all arrivals, or a wider targeted approach, which still may cover entire continents, such as South America.'

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

'

Ministers had previously discussed limiting hotel quarantine to “hotspot” countries, including South Africa and parts of South America, but Whitehall sources said that was now likely to be expanded to a blanket quarantine policy for all arrivals, or a wider targeted approach, which still may cover entire continents, such as South America.'

I'm still convinced they will water it down somehow.

It just seems way too ambitious to be quarantining people from all over the world coming in via all forms of transport, when to date we haven't even been competent enough to check forms properly.

Just now, xxialac said:

I'm still convinced they will water it down somehow.

It just seems way too ambitious to be quarantining people from all over the world coming in via all forms of transport, when to date we haven't even been competent enough to check forms properly.

Personally I dont think it's that ambitious, we control our own borders - the government at this point should only be letting nationals in and out of the country anyway and thats something that is very easy to control.

Lets see how it progresses, but all indications are that border closures (effectively) are coming. I personally have no issues with it, if it means we control things.

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Personally I dont think it's that ambitious, we control our own borders - the government at this point should only be letting nationals in and out of the country anyway and thats something that is very easy to control.

Lets see how it progresses, but all indications are that border closures (effectively) are coming. I personally have no issues with it, if it means we control things.

It wasn't that ambitious to check people's passenger locater forms at the airport either and they managed to do 3%. 

34 minutes ago, xxialac said:

And the UK seem to have bottled the hotel quarantine.

Only for UK residents coming back from Brazil, Portugal (???) and South Africa to begin with.

Where you seeing that? And assuming that's by air only then? No mention of ferry/tunnel in the Guardian article either?