When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don’t know if it’s possible to do them in smaller surgery’s and pharmacy’s ? Or are they totally limited by Batch sizes ? It would be helpful if the 2 new ones to hopefully be approved came in smaller batches ... that might add some further increases 

They've started doing them in pharmacies but I think it was only a pilot scheme and there is a lot more scope to do more.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

The main obstacle is timing really. It's only unrealistic in that the supply would need to increase massively - and by the time the supply does get up to that level, which probably means all 5 vaccines approved and delivering, then the programme will likely be starting to wind down as the bulk of people will have already been done.

They could probably do it sooner if there was a concerted effort to aim for a million on a specific day - but that would mean doing far less during the rest of the week so it only makes sense in PR terms not in any real logistical sense.

If we get the one dose shot from J and J approved, i can see them maybe doing a concentrated 24/7 drive maybe to get it out asap in as many arms as possible?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don’t know if it’s possible to do them in smaller surgery’s and pharmacy’s ? Or are they totally limited by Batch sizes ? It would be helpful if the 2 new ones to hopefully be approved came in smaller batches ... that might add some further increases 

Batch size isn't that big an issue for AZ and probably not Janssen and Novavax when they come around - AZ comes in vials of 8 or 10 doses and the batch can be split / transported / stored in exactly the same way as Flu and other vaccines.

For the most part, a site receives all the same vaccine type throughout so that when someone goes for a second dose then they're sure to get the same/correct type - as a result of this I think any deployment of Janssen / Novavax are likely to be to new sites which probably does mean bringing in pharmacies etc.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Guess with smaller surgeries the issue is that they still need to do their regular work, so they probably wouldn't have the space or resources to do it.

Maybe the UK govt was right that we shouldnt say exactly how many vaccines we are being supplied?

Bloody Forruns better keep their hands off our Beautiful British Vaccines is the headline i expect in the Sun soon....

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On another note I just did my little video interview thingy for volunteering at a vaccination centre. Not as a jabber but a helper. Still a few steps to go through and training etc but am quite looking forward to it now. I only have to do a minimum of two shifts a month, which should be quite easy to fit around work.

Apologies if this is also virtue signalling, but I know a few people on this thread are volunteering or have been thinking about it so think it's useful to share experiences!

Bloody do-gooder 😄

(Just to be clear, I am joking)

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If we get the one dose shot from J and J approved, i can see them maybe doing a concentrated 24/7 drive maybe to get it out asap in as many arms as possible?

I'm also intrigued about the J&J one cause is it not more likely to be used in the under 55s? Maybe young people will end up with one dose of that and oldies get 2 doses of any of the others.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Fascinating thread.

I still can't see the government being able to set up a functional quarantine system for all travellers. 

Too much chance of complete chaos and dire consequences.

Wonder who owns these hotels that will be taking on these mandatory customers. 🤔 there’s going to be a nice source of income there. 

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

As I recall size restrictions on vaccination venues were brought in to aid social distancing & room ventilation.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wonder who owns these hotels that will be taking on these mandatory customers. 🤔 there’s going to be a nice source of income there. 

What a dream for any hotel. 

Customers delivered to your door with nothing to do but empty their ludicrously overpriced minibars and no need to clean rooms or provide any service whatsoever in the common areas.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well, more the insinuation is that UK are paying AZ more so are getting priority on supply

It shouldn't be a surprise - the UK government directly contracted a UK based 3rd party to handle (the bottleneck part of) the manufacturing with the specific intention that they got priority on those does.

It's not like this is unique - for example the US and EU both have deals of that nature with Moderna and we don't hence why that's not arrived here yet.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know why FDA would take their time when they are needing to vaccinate shitloads over the next few months...unless of course AZ is dodge.

The FDA have a very, very strong preference for data held in US based trials and so are waiting on the trial over there to return results.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not that young either 😗

😂 cheeky. I had that coming. 

So my youngest Sister has started her new job as a receptionist at a Drs surgery today and has just had the first dose of the AZ vaccine!

Interestingly the Dr had 3 left over from today so offered her one. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What a dream for any hotel. 

Customers delivered to your door with nothing to do but empty their ludicrously overpriced minibars and no need to clean rooms or provide any service whatsoever in the common areas.

And they can charge whatever they like too. I’m assuming they will be doing a more thorough room clean as well between guests which will also be chargeable. 

Have to wonder who is paying the bill for these stays. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

😂 cheeky. I had that coming. 

So my youngest Sister has started her new job as a receptionist at a Drs surgery today and has just had the first dose of the AZ vaccine!

Interestingly the Dr had 3 left over from today so offered her one. 

and then she had the vaccine... 😉