When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

It would be summer at best, or if you wait for 2 doses for all then september/ october time probably. Anyone prepared to do that needs to be sectioned. Deaths/hospitalisations  will fall soon due to the vaccines- that is a fact.

The government won't have the country in full lockdown until summer, but they absolutely have my full backing to get the vaccination program done properly before allowing things to 'open up.

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Hancock: We need to close the borders and lock up anyone arriving in the country...

Patel: Yep, definitely.

Hancock: ... until all this covid stuff is over.

Patel: Co-what?

Patel went on to say: 'Now look, I've always been very clear on this matter, from a policin' perspective, closin' borders is basically an egregious breach'. 

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

In a few weeks we (the world) are going to know so much more about where we stand (I think). Eg what level is needed for herd immunity to take affect, will deaths plummet etc etc 

I completely agree, I know things are particularly bleak right now but in a few weeks I do think we'll have turned a corner, it's just the having to wait part to see the improvement part which is the tedious bit

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Patel went on to say: 'Now look, I've always been very clear on this matter, from a policin' perspective, closin' borders is basically an egregious breach'. 

The way she drops her gs at the end of ing words is really odd! It doesn't go with anything else in her accent or manner of speech so feels really affected to me.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

There should always be opposition to pretty much anything in a Democracy. It’s god that there’s a debate.

As a leftie I’m asking-why do the Tories suddenly want to take these powers now? Numbers flying are so small (one day last week Glasgow Airport had exactly 100 passengers go through the terminal many of which will have been domestic anyway) and mainly in professions you’d need to exempt. So what’s their motivation? Nobody trusts them, right.

Whats the exit mechanism? Who controls it? Giving any Government, but especially this lot and especially Patel, such potentially repressive powers is risky. Is there a date, an automatic end point based on e.g.Vaccinations?

In practical terms (and I declare a vested interest as I work in Air Traffic Control) there’s a debate between benefit and cost. If this is something indefinite and will stop flying this summer, Shapps and Sunak will be querying the cost. It’s not just Airlines that will be in trouble but Airports. Some will need bailing out or they’ll close and greatly damage their local economies (they support Taxi drivers, Retail and Bar Staff, Baggage Handlers etc). They might need to renationalise the Air Traffic system which will be messy and very expensive. What will they need to do to support the Tourism Industry here (Staycationers won’t cover the missing revenue from inbound Tourism).

All this needs debating. Nothing is ever win-win.

Man air traffic control messes with my head - something I'd Iove to do (I looked into it for a while) I understand distance and I understand the Z axis it's how busy the sky is that I struggle to comprehend. 

38 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

The government won't have the country in full lockdown until summer, but they absolutely have my full backing to get the vaccination program done properly before allowing things to 'open up.

Even if they wanted to the Tories would move on the PM before then anyway. 

58 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Would it be just for flights? What about ferry arrivals? Could hotels around the ports handle the numbers/process? How do they ensure you stay in the hotel? Do they feed you? 

Then there is exceptions, hauliers, business travellers, people travelling back for urgent medical care or to see dying loved ones.

Then there is people like myself who actually can't afford to stay at a hotel for 10 days at my expense, and actually we are only returning in the hope of finding some work, as am forced to return due to the now enforced 90 day Schengen rule.

Wonder if they would prefer people not to travel at all and come to some agreement to extend that due to current situation.

There are a lot of UK residents out in Portugal, Spain, France etc that will be returning too in their motorhomes, some like us who live in them full time. Maybe could have quarantine campsites instead.

I honestly can't see them bringing a blanket ban in for all travellers.

all of these questions have been adequately addressed by NZ and Aus apart from the haulage trucks.

Just because you'd find it awkward doesn't mean it couldn't happen. There's still Australians stuck around the world because they can't afford the very-premium price of the very limited flights &/or the cost of quarantining (although i think there's a loan scheme from the govt to cover those costs).

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Surely that would lead to a much worse overall outcome plus slower distribution, certainly in the short term?

It's not like there are a tonne of big pharma companies already involved and there'll never be profit in selling to the bottom of the pyramid.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Surely that would lead to a much worse overall outcome plus slower distribution, certainly in the short term?

It's not like there are a tonne of big pharma companies already involved and there'll never be profit in selling to the bottom of the pyramid.

the problem seems to be manufacturing - which enables manufacturers to charge a premium price.

As demonstrated by South Africa ordering the AZ vaccine from India at a premium price.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

all of these questions have been adequately addressed by NZ and Aus apart from the haulage trucks.

Just because you'd find it awkward doesn't mean it couldn't happen. There's still Australians stuck around the world because they can't afford the very-premium price of the very limited flights &/or the cost of quarantining (although i think there's a loan scheme from the govt to cover those costs).

Don't think too many people in Australia arrive by train or ferry either!

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Don't think too many people in Australia arrive by train or boat either!

True, but you're presuming that travellers would be able to travel as normal (and then quarantine).

That's not how NZ and Aus have done it. They've shut travel down to be a very small amount of the normal, and essentially said "tough shit on the people who want to travel but can't".

31 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I completely agree, I know things are particularly bleak right now but in a few weeks I do think we'll have turned a corner, it's just the having to wait part to see the improvement part which is the tedious bit

I’m really hoping we will get some kind of ‘roadmap’ on that 15 Feb date, even without dates attached to it?

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

True, but you're presuming that travellers would be able to travel as normal (and then quarantine).

That's not how NZ and Aus have done it. They've shut travel down to be a very small amount of the normal, and essentially said "tough shit on the people who want to travel but can't".

But no way the UK is going to allow aviation but ban arrivals by car, trains and ferry. Not even sure if that would be legal.

They will have to deal with the different access points.

Edited by xxialac

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

This is the type of 'journalism' that really annoys me these days- which vaccine are they talking about? It's such a basic but vital bit of info, but the journalist doesn't even seem to think of asking it. There's seems to be some info supporting the Oxford one being delayed, but the main concerns are over the Pfizer one.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But no way the UK is not going to allow aviation but ban arrivals by car, trains and ferry. Not even sure if that would be legal.

They will have to deal with the different access points.

sure, they'll have to deal with the different access points. That doesn't mean there'd be anything like normal access at those access points.

I can't see the govt doing it for all sorts of reasons, but if they did none of issues people have raised are issues that can't be over-come apart from haulage (because we'd starve).

2 hours ago, SamJ said:

Sorry to hear he’s so stressed.  It’s such a rubbish time for them. 

Thanks. Appreciate it. I fear for a lot of kids TBH. Hopefully they’re durable and all this weirdness doesn’t do any lasting damage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

sure, they'll have to deal with the different access points. That doesn't mean there'd be anything like normal access at those access points.

I can't see the govt doing it for all sorts of reasons, but if they did none of issues people have raised are issues that can't be over-come apart from haulage (because we'd starve).

I think I saw a stat that there are more hauliers arriving in the UK than aviation passengers at the moment.

It doesn't feel that effective to me, especially as they'll pull the policy after a month, maybe two at most.

It seems more about trying to be popular than anything else.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

This is the type of 'journalism' that really annoys me these days- which vaccine are they talking about? It's such a basic but vital bit of info, but the journalist doesn't even seem to think of asking it. There's seems to be some info supporting the Oxford one being delayed, but the main concerns are over the Pfizer one.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Not sure you can compare NZ/Aus to here. Both very different scenarios and the very fact we have multiple trains/ferries/planes incoming and not just flights plus the whole haulage across the channel.

Where are all these Australians stuck? Obviously they can only stay out the country so long either, so how does that work with visas etc?