When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I don’t read an awful lot into that personally - it does no harm extending it does it? I mean, great news if it isn’t needed to be used that far into the year, but it’s there as a contingency in case it is. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

I don’t read an awful lot into that personally - it does no harm extending it does it? I mean, great news if it isn’t needed to be used that far into the year, but it’s there as a contingency in case it is. 

The headline is one to cause alarm - like you say it's there hopefully not needed. 

There needs to be some sort of exit plan communicated though because at the moment it's never ending, and that's not good for anyone. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's a tough one because it is the most important thing but at the same time surely overall lockdown continues longer if it happens too early. Maybe that is the answer- schools open but lockdown until everyone is vaccinated

I for one will not be complying if that is the case (it won't be fortunately). That would be insane.

Just looked on how many vaccinated (I know it’s not accurate) but we have given approx 6.5m doses = approx 10% of England (as a rough guide)... so 500,000 a day would take us 13 days to get there meaning we can double what we’ve done so far in just under 2 weeks 🙂 this is really happening.... rough maths and calculations not taking into account blips, don’t shoot me!

Just now, zahidf said:

Yeah that won't happen and locking down until everyone is vaccinated is a bit much

It would be summer at best, or if you wait for 2 doses for all then september/ october time probably. Anyone prepared to do that needs to be sectioned. Deaths/hospitalisations  will fall soon due to the vaccines- that is a fact.

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I for one will not be complying if that is the case (it won't be fortunately). That would be insane.

There's not much you can do though. The main sticks of lockdown is the closure of venues, events and shops. Even if you wanted to you couldn't be that non compliant if they're still closed.

• Upvote 1

A leopard doesn’t change its spots. We wouldn’t have 100k deaths if that was in any way the governments priority. They’re seemingly being deliberately vague at the moment but they’ll ease restrictions at the earliest opportunity. It’s exactly what they did last summer, they set specific deadlines for things to reopen and couldn’t help but bring the dates forward. 

Just now, Leyrulion said:

There's not much you can do though. The main sticks of lockdown is the closure of venues, events and shops. Even if you wanted to you couldn't be that non compliant if they're still closed.

Can go to other people's houses/ be in larger groups. Obv can't do anything about the other things but having them shut till autumn would be a disaster and there is no need for it with the vaccines.

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Even if the pubs stay close I am still going to drink beer near other people. You watch!

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It would be summer at best, or if you wait for 2 doses for all then september/ october time probably. Anyone prepared to do that needs to be sectioned. Deaths/hospitalisations  will fall soon due to the vaccines- that is a fact.

And when we open up and let it go through the rest of us that percentage of younger people hospitalised will lead to a very large absolute number in the hospitals again

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leyrulion said:

True, though I do think there might be a lot of illegal raves/events going off in the summer months if it continues into then if that's your bag 😁

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

And when we open up and let it go through the rest of us that percentage of younger people hospitalised will lead to a very large absolute number in the hospitals again

There's a big gap there though. When 40/50/60 odd percent of the population (and so on) are vaccinated plus already built up immunity (around 1/5th have already had it) the virus won't spread like it is now.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A leopard doesn’t change its spots. We wouldn’t have 100k deaths if that was in any way the governments priority. They’re seemingly being deliberately vague at the moment but they’ll ease restrictions at the earliest opportunity. It’s exactly what they did last summer, they set specific deadlines for things to reopen and couldn’t help but bring the dates forward. 

I think they are just being cautious to promise anything at the moment, it will all depend on how effective these vaccines are. We may be in a much better place in a months time and they can think of relaxing restrictions etc., but they really can't do another lockdown again, and with the uncertainty around new variants they will probably want to make sure we really are safe before opening everything completely.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Zero COVID just popped up on my twitter timeline and its just showing New Zealand. Incredible achievement. 

Shows you what strong leadership and following the science does. 

The short term economic damage surpassed by the long term economic benefit

That was strange timing as yesterday the first community case in 2 months was reported so zero it isn't at the moment.

I really feel for the young ones through all of this - particularly those aged 18 to 24. The fun and (mostly) carefree time of their lives they’ll sadly never get back. I know it’s a sacrifice for the greater good, but it’s still awful for them too. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 7

1 minute ago, st dan said:

I really feel for the young ones through all of this - particularly those aged 18 to 24. The fun and (mostly) carefree time of their lives they’ll sadly never get back. I know it’s a sacrifice for the greater good, but it’s still awful for them too. 

yeah, really this.  I feel bad for my 15 year old kid, she's struggling a bit with this one.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's interesting to hear. One of my best mates is in that category, just under 40 and extremely vulnerable due to having chemo, so hopefully she'll get the call soon!

Oh I do hope so. A friend of my son & daughter in her early 20’s has leukaemia and is getting hers tomorrow to everyone’s relief. Personally I think that all the younger ones that are clinically extremely vulnerable should have been prioritised over the 80+ but at least they seem to be happening now

• Upvote 1