When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 hours ago, Copperface said:

Not sure anyone said they were going to fuck it up. It was all about published capacity and availability

lol.

It wasn't about published capacity and availability, it was about you and others saying they'd never get close to what Spaffer said they would.

Even the stopped clock of Spaffer is right when he has experienced professionals telling him what they will be able to do within a short space of time on the basis of solid data.

We're all guessing here, and sometimes others have a better handle on things than I have, and sometimes others have a better handle on things than you have.

Edited by eFestivals

12 hours ago, Copperface said:

But I don't think anyone said that the rollout would have been fucked up. 

lol

I've been pointing out since October or earlier that it's the one part of the crisis the govt were likely to do well because of the widespread existing expertise in mass vaccination.

And you ... erm... haven't.

At this point in the pandemic, I liken so closely keeping in touch with the news and stats to watching paint dry. Not from a boredom perspective. I know the paint will dry eventually but my time could be much more positively used focussing elsewhere. I'll come back every once in a while to see if it's dry or not but sitting here watching it go through that process is a waste of my time and energy

10 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Thailand. Same population as UK. Island. Important trading nation very closely located to some of the continent’s biggest manufacturers and exporters. Closer to original outbreak than UK. 

Adopted a Zero COVID approach. Controlled its borders. Implemented effective track, trace and contain. 

Total COVID deaths since beginning of pandemic: 71 

That could have been the UK. We had enough of a warning to prepare even better than the Thais. We didn’t. 

So next time someone says “Boris (like he’s their fucking mate) is doing the best he can, and I don’t think anyone would have done any better”, tell them there are 197 countries in the word and currently the leadership of 196 of them are doing a better job than our corrupt stinking bunch of c**ts. 

And they’re trying to weasel away from the blame and shift it to “rule breakers” when their guidance throughout has been in-comprehensive, flawed and flouted without consequence by the powerful. 

@Copperface
@Freddyflintstonree

Just had a quick google and read this report from last August, sounds like Thailand just arent reporting the deaths in the same way as we are. Seems strange that theyve had an extra 13,000 excess deaths since the start of March.

Theyve still done a better job though at handling the pandemic.

I wondering if the climate has had a big part to play aswell.

https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2020/08/06/lifting-the-veil-on-thailands-covid-19-success-story/

10 hours ago, Lycra said:

Those on the frontline have been elevated, but we're not saints. Just normal people doing a job. And we do get bad thoughts....

"I can't save you so will you hurry up and die so I can get on with saving someone who may live"

"Wonder how many are still alive when I go in tomorrow"

When I realise the thoughts running through my head I don't feel human anymore.

Mrs L

Hi Lycra,

Saw your post this morning and I really wanted to comment back to you.

We have no control over the thoughts that come and go into our minds. Those thoughts don’t define who we are, and judging ourselves for them adds unnecessary pain to our experiences.

Mrs L is going through something which is unprecedented and a bit of detachment might be a way of coping with an incredibly stressful and overwhelming situation.

I’m sure she’s working just as hard to save these people and trying her best every day, even though those thoughts are there. That is what really counts and is the most important thing to hang on to. 

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

32 more mass vax sites opening in England tomorrow making a total of 49. Pretty clear if the supply is there it’ll be over half mil a day on weekdays. 

Makes you think there has been some deliberate low balling on supplies (which would make sense when trying to keep a nation compliant with measures) as no point having all this extra capacity without supply. Plus new vaccines will be coming online in due course of course. 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

At this point in the pandemic, I liken so closely keeping in touch with the news and stats to watching paint dry. Not from a boredom perspective. I know the paint will dry eventually but my time could be much more positively used focussing elsewhere. I'll come back every once in a while to see if it's dry or not but sitting here watching it go through that process is a waste of my time and energy

I just use this thread now. I check it daily, it’s the best News source around and I don’t bother with anything else. It’s noticeable now talking to people at work and to Friends and family how many have switched off from it.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Makes you think there has been some deliberate low balling on supplies (which would make sense when trying to keep a nation compliant with measures) as no point having all this extra capacity without supply. Plus new vaccines will be coming online in due course of course. 

Have they finally learnt their lesson on over promising  and under delivering?

Meanwhile, as vaccines continue to be rolled out en masse, without multiple heads being grown, then public opinions seem to be shifting even in places like France:

I'm optimistic this will only increase over time. During February, Israel are likely to see significant case drop off as their second doses take effect throughout the population.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Just seen my gas and electricity bill for this month - not pretty reading!! The energy companies must be making a killing with everybody stuck at home and the cold weather we’ve had recently. 

My boiler/hive thing is extremely temperamental. The hive thing constantly loses connection with the boiler so doesn’t come on. So I’ve had to revert to just having to come on at 20 degrees. It seems to be in for about 75% of the day/night at the moment. The places is always nice and warm but I’m not looking forward to looking at the bill!

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think they are going to bottle the plan to quarantine all and instead make it only travellers from countries with one of the high risk variants (of course the UK itself is one of those...).

Yup I very much doubt they will 'quarantine hotel' all incoming passengers, as I mentioned on another thread.

I also very much doubt they will bring in technology such as mobile tracking/wristbands as some are suggesting!

But yes if anything is likely to be introduced, then it would be as you say from the high risk countries only. Only problem there is anyone coming back by road from Portugal can just say they weren't there.

20 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I just use this thread now. I check it daily, it’s the best News source around and I don’t bother with anything else. It’s noticeable now talking to people at work and to Friends and family how many have switched off from it.

You're absolutely spot on and that's the reason why, despite zero festival activity over the past year or on the horizon, I'll be making sure to maintain my GOLD member status. There's a great community on here and it's been a comfort in many ways

12 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yup I very much doubt they will 'quarantine hotel' all incoming passengers, as I mentioned on another thread.

I also very much doubt they will bring in technology such as mobile tracking/wristbands as some are suggesting!

But yes if anything is likely to be introduced, then it would be as you say from the high risk countries only. Only problem there is anyone coming back by road from Portugal can just say they weren't there.

Agree with all of that. If we can't paper check Passenger Locater Forms, no way we're bringing in intelligent tracking technology.

True on transit routes but Portugal shouldn't be on the high risk list to begin with.

If they really were worried about the Brazil and South Africa variants. They could simply quarantine all people whose passport showed they had been in those countries in the last month. 

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

were Germany not over 1000 deaths per day not long ago ? so whatever they did there it seems to have made a massive difference ? 

It’s just weekend numbers. 7 day average is still high (peaked at just over 800 but on the way down). Cases are also dropping week by week too which is positive.

Worldometer doesn’t update fully right until the end of the day for germany so it’s harder to keep track.

0CAB91E5-3115-461C-8948-F1AA034E31DA.thumb.png.394c9989a1f867977fbdc2a0859ac82b.png

Edited by FestivalJamie