When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wrong. Israel paid a pretty penny to be able to vaccinate everyone quickly. It’s a zero sum game and third world countries will be pushed to the back of the queue. 

I believe Israel also agree a reporting requirement with Pfizer 

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wrong. Israel paid a pretty penny to be able to vaccinate everyone quickly. It’s a zero sum game and third world countries will be pushed to the back of the queue. 

Jesus... whilst you're right money talks it's a good job you don't work in ethics!!

He's right the world's vulnerable should be first but the reality is the rich pay the pennies!

WHO were bringing the same point Stevie has brought up tbh as this is a global issue and poorer countries need our help to survive this too 😞

Just now, Ozanne said:

Great news about your Mum getting the jab mate, you must be relieved.

Your 'JAB MY MUM' campaign paid off!

yeah, thanks , it is good news...I mean she's just one of many, right? But when it's your own mum it's kind of a thing. Got a bit of a bond with my mum as she brought me up on her own and I was a right little twat when I was a teenager and caused her all sorts of problems and feel bad about that now...and now she's old and I'm still a twat and I'm a little bit drunk as I type this...

Anyway, it's good. Thanks Boris. Sexy Boris.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, thanks , it is good news...I mean she's just one of many, right? But when it's your own mum it's kind of a thing. Got a bit of a bond with my mum as she brought me up on her own and I was a right little twat when I was a teenager and caused her all sorts of problems and feel bad about that now...and now she's old and I'm still a twat and I'm a little bit drunk as I type this...

sorry, what was I thinking! Thank you NHS!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

For sure mate when it's your own Mum it definitely will mean more especially as she's over 90 didn't you say?

If anything I think this means Boris is on the forums and saw your campaign. 

My wife had her AZ 1st dose yesterday after she was refused the Pfizer one earlier in the year due to possible anaphylaxis risk. A bit knocked out today and a sore arm but no real side effects to be concerned with. Total time in and out about 30 minutes in local mass vaccination centre.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

For sure mate when it's your own Mum it definitely will mean more especially as she's over 90 didn't you say?

If anything I think this means Boris is on the forums and saw your campaign. 

yeah she turned 90 on new years eve. She's a very healthy 90 though, pretty impressive. Hopefully I have her genes and will live forever once I get some of that mrna shit down me.

6 minutes ago, Copperface said:

My wife had her AZ 1st dose yesterday after she was refused the Pfizer one earlier in the year due to possible anaphylaxis risk. A bit knocked out today and a sore arm but no real side effects to be concerned with. Total time in and out about 30 minutes in local mass vaccination centre.

Great news and also good she's doing ok after. It's good to see more and more people get the vaccine.

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Just finished the training course, now a qualified vaccinator with St John Ambulance! 

150 trained and qualified in just one location today. We're getting there.

When do you get deployed?

29 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Oh, what could have been if we had a half way competent government...

Do we really believe that any government in the UK could have controlled Covid so dramatically differently so as to have allowed for a Glastonbury to go ahead this year? 

I will be the first to say Boris has been an utter, utter shambles, and that it could have been handled 100+ times better than it has been, but based on the very nature of Covid and how it's developed across the world.. I think I'd argue Glastonbury was never going to be possible this year. 

I'd love to have a genuine discussion about this if there really is a strong feeling it could have with a better government. (Just to reiterate, Boris and the government are a steaming turd, that's not my question). 

2 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Do we really believe that any government in the UK could have controlled Covid so dramatically differently so as to have allowed for a Glastonbury to go ahead this year? 

I will be the first to say Boris has been an utter, utter shambles, and that it could have been handled 100+ times better than it has been, but based on the very nature of Covid and how it's developed across the world.. I think I'd argue Glastonbury was never going to be possible this year. 

I'd love to have a genuine discussion about this if there really is a strong feeling it could have with a better government. (Just to reiterate, Boris and the government are a steaming turd, that's not my question). 

A different govt could have come up with an actual working test and trace, had better testing at borders, followed scientific advice with circuit breaks in the autumn and regarding xmas mixing, and have underwritten insurance for festivals this summer...?

3 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Right on both points. But different measures may have been able to have been taken to potentially reduce deaths and encourage  incentives for more compliance in terms of isolation etc, as well as the different weightings they give, dictated by ideology, to the science vs economic considerations.

47 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Oh, what could have been if we had a half way competent government... 

Man that song takes me back. Was played everywhere when I was living there. Especially at the rugby. And I'm pretty sure that's Gibston Valley, just up the road from where I lived. 

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

A different govt could have come up with an actual working test and trace, had better testing at borders, followed scientific advice with circuit breaks in the autumn and regarding xmas mixing, and have underwritten insurance for festivals this summer...?

Sure, I agree with all of this. But do you think all of this would have been enough to ensure a festival of 210,000 people could go ahead this summer? I'm thinking about the new strains, worldwide travel restrictions, the global situation, vaccine progress...in my opinion things that aren't really in the government's control would have ultimately called it off anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I do believe that another government could've handled this better to enable festivals this year. The mistakes have been ones nearly entirely of their own making and even date back before the start of the pandemic.

The government had plenty of the warnings in the build up with China and Italy yet still didn’t act. They had their own Operation Cygnus from a couple of years before which highlighted the many issues a respiratory virus would bring and still didn’t act. If they had have put measures in place as per the report instead of continue to cut public services we would've been on a good footing from the start.

In the summer PHE colleagues wrote to the PM to request the government use the summer lull to prepare for the winter. The government instead of doing that played around with breaking international law and the PM went on holiday again. Cases started to rise as predicted in the Autumn which caused SAGE and the LOTO to call for a short lockdown, the government still didn’t act. They brought in a tier system which didn’t work and which was highlighted to them before the fact, they then brought in a lockdown weeks later on Halloween which wasn’t strong enough and long enough. Calls for the government to cancel Christmas from medical experts went out and still the government didn’t act, instead bringing in a new tiering system which has seen nearly all regions be moved to the top tier. As a result we have seen record level cases on a daily basis, hospitals filling up and Drs coming out saying the NHS is at breaking point calling for a national lockdown along with other experts. Schools were safe then 24 hours later were shut as well.

We’ve seen this too many times over the last 10 months and yes whilst plenty of other countries are wrestling with these dilemmas the UK government have repeatedly acted too slowly and too poorly. We need a government that when they get this advise from their advisors and experts warning them of a very really incoming issue to listen and act, quickly and decisively. I believe that nearly anything other government would have done those things and as such we would be in a better position than we are now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I do believe that another government could've handled this better to enable festivals this year. The mistakes have been ones nearly entirely of their own making and even date back before the start of the pandemic.

The government had plenty of the warnings in the build up with China and Italy yet still didn’t act. They had their own Operation Cygnus from a couple of years before which highlighted the many issues a respiratory virus would bring and still didn’t act. If they had have put measures in place as per the report instead of continue to cut public services we would've been on a good footing from the start.

In the summer PHE colleagues wrote to the PM to request the government use the summer lull to prepare for the winter. The government instead of doing that played around with breaking international law and the PM went on holiday again. Cases started to rise as predicted in the Autumn which caused SAGE and the LOTO to call for a short lockdown, the government still didn’t act. They brought in a tier system which didn’t work and which was highlighted to them before the fact, they then brought in a lockdown weeks later on Halloween which wasn’t strong enough and long enough. Calls for the government to cancel Christmas from medical experts went out and still the government didn’t act, instead bringing in a new tiering system which has seen nearly all regions be moved to the top tier. As a result we have seen record level cases on a daily basis, hospitals filling up and Drs coming out saying the NHS is at breaking point calling for a national lockdown along with other experts. Schools were safe then 24 hours later were shut as well.

We’ve seen this too many times over the last 10 months and yes whilst plenty of other countries are wrestling with these dilemmas the UK government have repeatedly acted too slowly and too poorly. We need a government that when they get this advise from their advisors and experts warning them of a very really incoming issue to listen and act, quickly and decisively. I believe that nearly anything other government would have done those things and as such we would be in a better position than we are now.

Well put, and completely agree...though my question is still whether the correct actions pointed out above would have been enough to save the festival this year. 

Of course it's an open question, I don't really expect a definitive yes or no. I guess you answered in your first sentence!